1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Who compliments you more--men or women?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tonylamer, Apr 30, 2013.

Who compliments you more? Men or Women?

1. Men

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. Women

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  1. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I get way more compliments from women.
    Most of my friends are engineers though - most engineers truely could not care less for their dress. ;)

2. Vodking

Vodking Well-Known Member

In my experience, women at work tend to notice the more colourful components of an outfit while men have complemented me on things that look quite heavy and good quality. So by moving towards the SF-approved wardrobe of blues, greys and browns, I'd expect less complements from women. It's rare to find one who appreciates understated style and not matching satin tie/PS sets and shiny polyester suits...

I remember a few months ago, I was wearing a charcoal suit and grey overcoat - both bespoke, Harrisons cloth, and fitted beautifully (I promise!) - along with a cheap old navy tie with pink motifs from Hawes & Curtis. A girl came over and said how nice my tie was. When I got home that evening, I threw it in the bin.

3. McBindle

McBindle Well-Known Member

Q: How do you recognize the introverted engineer at a party?
    A: He stares at his shoes when he talks to you.
    Q: How do you recognize the extroverted engineer at a party?
    A: He stares at your shoes when he talks to you.

I'm still not sure whether or not this supports the theory that engineers could not care less about how they dress. But there is a difference between staring and seeing.

4. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Women. Although my field is dominated by men, there aren't many of us and we're surrounded by nurses.

5. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

My experience with engineers is different regarding their attitude, actually I'd think "we" are the most outgoing on the campus compared to the other big schools - maths, physics, chemistry and informatics.
    Still most of the people on my (technical) university dress badly because they prefer to spent their time and money otherwise than on clothes.

1 person likes this.
  6. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

I noticed that I get compliments from both sexes if I wear something colourful such as a bright tie.

However this rarely happens since most of my ties are dark blue, shirts light blue and the suits grey or blue... :)

7. Snaporaz

Snaporaz Active Member

I'd say there are numerous factors at play here.

Firstly, although more women are clothes-conscious than men, and many shop for their husbands and even boyfriends, I doubt that many are truly interested in the specifics of menswear. A woman might want a well-dressed partner, but she probably won't lust after EG Westminsters on his behalf. (Christian Louboutins for herself is another matter). So, compliments tend to be either quite general or focused on something particularly colourful or eye-catching.

Secondly, general compliments by a woman are quite tricky if the guy is young. She risks awkwardness or, worse, being somehow rebuffed, whether or not she's interested; and, if she's a little older, there's the added risk that the guy might not even suppose she is.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  8. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

I'm complemented by men and women about equally, men usually complement me for my hats, Beaver Fedoras, Milan and Panamas.
    Men also seem to complement gray suits more than women.

Women complement the hats too, and sometimes the shoes. They seem more likely to complement blue suits and ties as well. Also shirts.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

A middle aged cop notices your shoes. :embar:

Is he wondering if you stole the shoes?

If you're selling drugs to pay for the shoes?

Is he offering you his billy club?

Did he stroke your arm? Feel the fabric ?

To answer your question women. But all the clothes do is change the type of woman.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Men are far more likely to be colour blind.

1 person likes this.
  11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

These kind of threads are always an interesting psychological study..... [​IMG]

I think it's worth suggesting that it's simply some people's interpersonal nature to compliment others. They've learnt to do this culturally, and are often pretty indiscriminating about who & what they compliment. It's simply a quick way of building a superficial rapport and/or starting a conversation. I suspect that a good 95% of compliments that people receive fall into this "social lubricant" category and shouldn't really be thought of as more than that. Obviously, if you're wearing something eye-catching - or indeed, are conspicuously well-dressed in a more simple way - then you're more likely to attract one of these kind of compliments. They're pretty meaningless beyond being a general expression of goodwill/"niceness". If your dress wasn't notable, you'd probably have got a compliment on something else. I tend to have this social habit/tick myself, so I suppose I notice it in others quite easily.

The other 5% of compliments might actually be about your clothes, but are probably still more likely to be an icebreaker for other reasons. In terms of the the "cultural compliments", obviously there'll be more of them from people whose surrounding culture permits them to do this to you. This depends on how they view you, or rather, how they view themselves in relation to you... i.e. what stereotype they unconsciously file you (and themselves) into.

Just thinking out loud...

1 person likes this.
  12. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Senior member

Women - Except for a very good friend (she tells me if she likes it or not), they compliment with the way they look at your and/or talk to you.

Men - It's either an backhanded compliment or direct compliment. Metro, too formal, overdressed are some of the words I heard used. Most creative I've heard was gay cowboy when I was wearing an guncheck SC with alden boots. Another one was a hippie lumberjack. Funny thing is, those kids (more than half of our employee are 3 years out of college) are now starting to dress better (SC, dress shirt, dress pants and wing tips). They usually go for the GQ look of tight fitting jackets and pants. However, it's a big improvement when I first join the company a year ago where flipflops and cargo shorts/pants and t-shirt was not unusual.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  13. E TF

E TF Senior member

Amongst the English I'm pretty sure a good proportion of compliments mean the exact opposite of what they purport. I was discussing architecture with someone recently, and established that neither of us liked what a mutual acquaintance had done to their house. But I can remember that same person saying to the acquaintance something along the lines of "oh I love what you've done here." Could have chosen a compliment about absolutely anything for social lubrication - chose one that was the polar opposite of their true opinion. I suspect when an English person compliments me on what I'm wearing, half the time it means they think I look like a clown.

14. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

I enjoy it, the subtext.

2 people like this.
  15. FillW

FillW Senior member

I really think the compliments I've gotten were only because of my clothes in most cases. Like the first guy says- compliments from a woman can be very tricky on her part. That's why I made my "facade" comment earlier.

16. rokr32

rokr32 Active Member

Although i'd prefer it were the other way, I get more compliments from men. I agree with the post above: compliments from a woman can be very tricky, and I assume most just keep it to themselves. A few days ago I was told by a gay guy that he thought I looked good, so I must be doing something right I think.

17. Lear

Lear Senior member

I've never had a compliment from anyone... ever! It would be music to my ears if this ever happened. I sometimes fantasize that a woman (any woman) would glance my way. We aren't all male models on SF you know. This kind of thread only magnifies the unfairness in life. If this was politics, they'd say it wasn't right for all the wealth to be held by the few. Yet when it comes to looks and attractiveness, we have the privileged few (e.g. WAYWRN) taking it all. That's right, every last drop of it. And what are the rest of us left with?.. nothing but flabby jowls and buttocks. Well, I've had enough mate, and it's time to take back what should have been ours from birth.

Who's with me brothers?

1 person likes this.
  18. FillW

FillW Senior member

I never worry about things I have no control over. If someone gives a compliment then great. If not, that's great too.

I don't wear clothes to get compliments.

19. FillW

FillW Senior member

Yeah. I get way more "looks" that say more than words anyway.

20. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

1 person likes this.