• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear a stripe, a larger-print medallion, or a solid knit. Probably a solid knit.

Agree on the hank, wouldnt be my first choice.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'd wear a stripe, a larger-print medallion, or a solid knit. Probably a solid knit.

Agree on the hank, wouldnt be my first choice.

A knit could be nice--just please not navy blue. Bottle green grenadine would be fantastic.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A knit could be nice--just please not navy blue. Bottle green grenadine would be fantastic.

Bottle green would definitely be my first thought. I don't think navy would be terrible, but green would absolutely look great here.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It matters not whether the jacket is worsted or true tweed. It is made in the style of true tweed and meant to look the part, so it should be worn as such.

As for the tie motif: ninety-nine percent of all neat motifs are floral with three or four colors. That does not make any of them more country.

So, if we hypothesize a jacket in shetland or Harris Tweed with the exact same pattern as that jacket, you'd be willing to put something together for the rough one, swap in the worsted coat, and not change a thing? Would you do that for everything one could wear with the Harris, or only the relatively "smooth" end of that stuff? I'm not sure about wearing a brushed-finish tattersall shirt or mid-to-wide wale cords with a plain worsted coat, for example.

I'm actually a little gun-shy (puns!) of that kind of smooth checked jacket, if only because I feel like I'd have a terrible time with squares for it. The pattern often seems to come through more "strongly" than it does on a tweed with more surface interest.

I was going through stuff I'd worn recently to see if I had anything worth posting here, and have reached the conclusion that I need some new shirts.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I would wear such a worsted tweed exactly as I would a true shetland or Harris tweed of the same color and pattern. Even though worsted, the fabric is still not smooth like typical suiting. The yarns are usually quite a bit larger and the weave more obvious. Also, the earthy, autumnal colors typical of tweed are jarring against stark white linen regardless of texture. Browns, greens, oranges, blues, etc., are colors that occur frequently in nature. Pure white, not so much. White is a much more contrived, purposeful color and thus fits more in-line with business dress in urban settings. The matter is only made worse by the fact that linen should be folded. A casual jacket calls for a more casual square fold (not folded at all).

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, the earthy, autumnal colors typical of tweed are jarring against stark white linen regardless of texture. Browns, greens, oranges, blues, etc., are colors that occur frequently in nature. Pure white, not so much.
Snow...

Of course, you mean the juxtaposition of earthy colors with white which makes sense wrt the linen square/tweed point.

quar

Reaction score

Pliny, agree with Manton that you see this all the time in Italy. I also think this pattern falls on the dressier side for an odd jacket so the neat tie is workable.

aportnoy, was that you just now in the Saks Kiton section?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Browns, greens, oranges, blues, etc., are colors that occur frequently in nature. Pure white, not so much.

Other than the clouds in the sky, the snow on the ground, the flowers in the grass, the rocks in the earth and the stars in the heavens?

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would wear such a worsted tweed exactly as I would a true shetland or Harris tweed of the same color and pattern. Even though worsted, the fabric is still not smooth like typical suiting. The yarns are usually quite a bit larger and the weave more obvious. Also, the earthy, autumnal colors typical of tweed are jarring against stark white linen regardless of texture. Browns, greens, oranges, blues, etc., are colors that occur frequently in nature. Pure white, not so much. White is a much more contrived, purposeful color and thus fits more in-line with business dress in urban settings. The matter is only made worse by the fact that linen should be folded. A casual jacket calls for a more casual square fold (not folded at all).
Cool. I find white a bit too stark against some tweeds/faux-tweeds, but I think there's room for a shirt with a white stripe -- either a "symmetrical" stripe like a candy or bengal, or a shirt with a colored ground and a white stripe, like the old BB "blazer stripe" -- in a rig with even a very "mossy" tweed coat. Right? I feel like this is super basic, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wince when I see posters preaching to newbs about how versatile that sort of tie is. I don't get it.

well yes, for patterned coats, especially heavily patterned coats, neats are not the best route usually. but for someone who wears almost exclusively solid suits, and prefers conservative dress, i think neats really are the best way to go. i guess stripes are just as well, they just interest me less than neats. ymmv on that.

quar

Reaction score

I'm on holidays here from Australia. Seeing Formosa on Wednesday at gdl203's Trunkshow.

You were the first well dressed dude I've seen here, and when I suspected it was you, my suspicions were confirmed when I saw the EGs on your feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics