• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

interesting. i like what you did with the pants. i have a pair exactly like that i will wear next time, and i think i would like a shirt slightly brighter than your change. i do like the tie better as is however. the jacket IRL is actually as you have it, not as it shows in my pic.

most importantly, WHY DID YOU NOT PUT THE "FOOFED" STAMP ON IT!

Because it's only semi-foofed. I didn't alter your fit, which needs a lot of work.

Is either of these 2 better? Also, what are your thoughts on contrast collar shirts (white cuff and collar, blue/white bengal stripe, for example)? I would have thought that these would be looked down upon, but Foo gave someone wearing one 5 :foo:  earlier in the thread.

http://www.ctshirts.com/Blue-Prince...hirt?q=usddefault|check|RD030BLU|||||||||||||
http://www.ctshirts.com/Sky-Prince-...hirt?q=usddefault|check|RD034SKY|||||||||||||

I'm going to get lynched for trying to get people to all dress the same, but the truth is if you are having trouble with shirts, you should go to solid blue. There is no shame in that. Many of the best dressed men in the world wear nothing but solid blue shirts 60-80% of the time. Don't try to look for a different sort of fancy shirt. Avoid the fancy shirts altogether and go basic. Keep in mind what Manton told you about bolder, more complex shirts--they came about to be worn with outfits that are otherwise very plain and sober. In other words, they are highly limiting.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oic. very well then.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As for white collared blue shirts--they are very hard to do well. I gave that outfit you reference a full score because in the context, it was executed to perfection. He is dressed as a groom, with a beige linen vest under his suit. The white collar is appropriate both formally and aesthetically there.

Generally, they should only be worn when you want to dress on the formal end of the business formal spectrum. Other pieces and accessories should be in that end of the spectrum as well.

Last edited:

Willin

Reaction score
Msulinski - both of those shirts are sooo busy and atrocious. Stick to the basics. I think that's the best thing to learn as a gormandizer of this thread. If you don't you will look like a clown most of the time. Contrast collars make you look like a sartorial novice or a douchebag in most circumstances in my opinion.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is what I think of as very English style.

Kind of, but a bit too monochromatic overall. If the shirt had some bright colors like a yellow or pink, or even red, then it would be very English. I used to have a lot of those kinds of shirts but I stopped buying them and shifted to more solids for variety. Now the patterned shirts have worn out and they are only slowly being replaced. This shirt is from the new batch.
As an aside, my wife has always been a fan of the full-on English look. Partly because her mother is from there and partly because that is what the men she considered well-dressed when she was growing up wore. When we got married, she encouraged me to go to Turnbull and Asser and was quite happy when I was getting shirts from Dege. She is unimpressed with Italian shirts, though she loves Solito's suits.

y u no post pic?

Because I am an old man and have old man prejudices.
Also, the only camera I have that doesn't require cables is a blackberry camera and it is awful - I tried to photograph my Autavia for the watch thread this morning and it was unusable. But really, I think you guys are all nuts. I am glad for it, as I enjoy the thread and benefit from the discussion, and it wouldn't exist if you weren't all crazy, but that doesn't really change my view.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Msulinski - both of those shirts are sooo busy and atrocious. Stick to the basics. I think that's the best thing to learn as a gormandizer of this thread. If you don't you will look like a clown most of the time. Contrast collars make you look like a sartorial novice or a douchebag in most circumstances in my opinion.
I wasn't planning on getting the contrast collar, as I just don't know that I would feel comfortable in it. The main reason I brought it up was that Foo had given the 5
foo.gif
score, but it looks like everything else has to be just right to pull it off.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This hank was in my briefcase - think it works better than the previous one. Still a bit matchy, but there are some hints of cream that the camera hasn't captured and I think make it just a tad more interesting.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because I am an old man and have old man prejudices.
Also, the only camera I have that doesn't require cables is a blackberry camera and it is awful - I tried to photograph my Autavia for the watch thread this morning and it was unusable. But really, I think you guys are all nuts. I am glad for it, as I enjoy the thread and benefit from the discussion, and it wouldn't exist if you weren't all crazy, but that doesn't really change my view.

well, i at least i have the memories. :)

sidebar - have you ever posted fit pics?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

well, i at least i have the memories. :)

sidebar - have you ever posted fit pics?

Very rarely. It seems weird to me to post a picture saying look at me; this is what I am wearing. But I realize it is quite common now and probably doesn't seem weird to you.
Besides, I have made it very clear to my kids that they should not be doing stuff like that, so I certainly won't.
Also, while I would post a photo to answer a question or show something specific that I know someone might want to see, I don't have an easy mechanism. I don't have a good phone camera that would let me email stuff to myself and post quickly (my blackberry camera is awful (I have an ipad2, maybe that is worth trying)) and I don't feel like messing with cables to hook up a camera. Somewhere on the London Lounge there are some photos I took of me wearing something, but I remember that it was a PITA to do and took a lot of time. Detail photos of objects laying on the floor or a chair were much easier.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It really does take a lot of time, which is the main reason I don't do it anymore. I just am too lazy.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very rarely. It seems weird to me to post a picture saying look at me; this is what I am wearing. But I realize it is quite common now and probably doesn't seem weird to you.
Besides, I have made it very clear to my kids that they should not be doing stuff like that, so I certainly won't.
Also, while I would post a photo to answer a question or show something specific that I know someone might want to see, I don't have an easy mechanism. I don't have a good phone camera that would let me email stuff to myself and post quickly (my blackberry camera is awful (I have an ipad2, maybe that is worth trying)) and I don't feel like messing with cables to hook up a camera. Somewhere on the London Lounge there are some photos I took of me wearing something, but I remember that it was a PITA to do and took a lot of time. Detail photos of objects laying on the floor or a chair where much easier.

i understand.

regarding the bold, that would certainly go a long way to help visualise the fits you describe. if you are ever inclined to do so, have at it. even if just for me. :D

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It really does take a lot of time, which is the main reason I don't do it anymore. I just am too lazy.

Yes, giant pain **********--if you want the pic to look at all representative.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i think it takes me a total of 5 minutes. iPhone photo, upload to PB direct from camera roll via PB app, copy direct image link to SF from laptop when i get to work.

but i understand that it can be a PIA.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It still seems weird to me, which is one reason I do it so rarely these days.

weirder than being a member on SF and commenting on pics other people post? :)

Yes, giant pain **********--if you want the pic to look at all representative.

the bold is what i meant to touch on.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads