whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

@Foo or Manton, if can you please chime in..Thanks

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

You know, I think I will keep the picture of today's outfit handy so that I can post a side by side with the striped shirt I have in mind. I generally tend to agree with you on the solid shirt motif and as a result I do not have many patterned shirts, but I am curious as to how I'd incorporate what I do have. Anyway, I guess we will find out when I try it.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Only in the upper class Italian style of dress which you (and to a lesser extent I) prefer. In certain other traditions, including certain circles in England, the shirt is the centerpiece. I used to dress more that way myself, not so much anymore, though today I have on a rather busy red check shirt.

The idea was that a true "gentleman" only wore his school/club/regimental ties, or else solids, and also only wore blue and gray city suits, so the only leeway he had for fun was shirts. This is why Jermyn street is so much more "vibrant" than what you see in shirtmakers in Italy, where the question is basically, "Which shade of light blue would you like, signor?"

4. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

A cream square would have been better. It is not defined as a formal square and can be worn in pretty much any application.

This shirt is still a big fail. It really does not work right with tweed. Also, since when did these tweed-like ties become all the rage? They are maddening and rarely look right. It should be worn with a suit, not more tweed. Your outfit is all one rough texture, and then all smooth. Also there is not enough variation in brightness. Everything is about the same.

Such jacketing- and suiting-based ties are a good example of an internet fad. The navy knit tie of 2012-2013. If you don't know what I mean about the navy knit tie, just set the time circuits in your Delorean back to 2008.

Final score: :foo:

5. mafoofan

All true, but exactly for that reason, if you aren't wearing the very sober and plain English city suit, with a very plain regimental or solid tie, your shirt needs to quiet down. The rationale of balance is the same whether you're talking "English" or "Italian."

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I like that tie, would wear.

Shirt color is too "vibrant"

7. mafoofan

I would too--but with a navy or grey suit, not tweed.

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Stitchy, do you have a pic from farther away?

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I have tried wearing tweedy ties with worsted suits but haven't met with much success. I find it easier to wear them with tweedy jackets. And they work ok with flannel suits. I don't have informal suits, so I haven't tried that option.

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

the one from the OP? also, interesting history about the shirting in britain v italy.

interesting, thanks. i thought the oxford weave shirt would be "textured" enough for the rough SC and tie.

thanks, i recall you liking it last time i wore it.

yup. i know foo will hate the trou.

[​IMG]

11. mafoofan

They don't work with worsted suits as a rule--they are just more likely to look okay with a suit than tweedy jacket. But of course, it also highly depends on the specific tie. That's why I don't like them as a category. They really should not be so prevalent and the popularity is conspicuous because they look terrible 90% of the time. I blame Pitti Uomo. They were just the next thing to sell.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

this is actually a dead-stock zegna cashmere tie. ill bet it is at least 5-7 years old, maybe older. not sure if that predates the popularity you refer too.

13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Here is an outfit from earlier this week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am wearing a very "Jermyn Street" shirt today - a fancy stripe with light and dark blue of varying widths and spacings. Suit is a flannel navy chalkstripe DB and tie is solid blue (black shoes). Square is a softly woven bluish gray check on a silvery white silk ground. Other than the shirt, pretty sober stuff.