• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, the biggest issue with that combination is that the shirt is overpowering everything else. The hank isn't even the first thing I see.

I agree with SB. I think the shirt is too bold for a suit.

I like the suit and I like the tie a lot. I'm trying to figure out of the PS would be too much eye distraction if you wore a white shirt or a light blue shirt. I think there's a chance it could be.

Agreed. It is too saturated and the stripes too wide to be worn with that suit. I think the square would be fine if the shirt were a dress stripe. As it is, knit tie, butcher stripe, etc... it's too much at once.

I agree with @sugarbutch about the saturation but you can still pull off the bold striped shirt/tie/PS combo better with a navy suit. It will make the shirt less striking IMO.

I like the shirt, just not with that suit.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback, gentlemen!

Though now I still have no clue what to do with my bloody Red Square
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For me, the biggest issue with that combination is that the shirt is overpowering everything else. The hank isn't even the first thing I see.

iirc, whnay. posted a similar shirt with a PoW much earlier in this thread. i dont recall the feedback he got, nor the PS nor the tie, nor if it was exactly the same stripe as eliod, but it was quite striking whatever it was.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here it is. houndstooth not PoW, and no tie or PS visible, hence my not remembering them. :)

fec554e1_ieIPFPSl.jpeg

here are some more from whnay with a similar type stripe shirt.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ What I was going to say. Also the stripes are a bit wider. In combination, it pushes the shirt more toward the casual spectrum, resulting in some incoherence between it and the suit. I think EliodA did the right thing in trying to make the tie subdued, but it couldn't tone down the overall effect of the fit enough. Compare it with this shirt, for example. (All said with the caveat that I'm still figuring this stuff out myself.)

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whnay's aren't as saturated.

Indeed and the stripes are smaller too. Nonetheless, interesting and inspiring examples. It's nice to see that my post has sparked such an interest, and the contributions of all of you are much appreciated. But my original question is still unanswered : How to combine that Red Square in a tasteful way?

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indeed and the stripes are smaller too. Nonetheless, interesting and inspiring examples. It's nice to see that my post has sparked such an interest, and the contributions of all of you are much appreciated. But my original question is still unanswered : How to combine that Red Square in a tasteful way?

Maybe something along the lines of Manton's first post here?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/309586/whnay-s-good-taste-thread#post_5631370

Except make sure both shirt and tie aren't also red as in his picture.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen that one, thanks. But TBH, I don't like that fit at all.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ What I was going to say. Also the stripes are a bit wider. In combination, it pushes the shirt more toward the casual spectrum, resulting in some incoherence between it and the suit. I think EliodA did the right thing in trying to make the tie subdued, but it couldn't tone down the overall effect of the fit enough. Compare it with this shirt, for example. (All said with the caveat that I'm still figuring this stuff out myself.)
whnay's aren't as saturated.
The red hank would have worked with the shirt above.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think the red hand would be great with the shirt above and green, or brown and green tie.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my pleasure! :)

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the yellow trousers.

Yellow trousers? In the early 2000s I saw Ralph Lauren in a blue double breasted blazer,
button one, Belgian loafers and canary yellow trousers. He was with his first ( and only)
wife and it was at the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance where he was exhibiting
one of his classical cars a Bugatti. Here he is in a similar jacket with white trousers.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...96B9CB901AA98891BFF465BE89E9E&selectedIndex=0

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix