• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Foo or @Manton...using Stitches (sorry Stitch) gray houndstooth SC being too 60's and limited usefulness, is it because of the pattern, color, or both? I have something similar in Olive/tan/blue/dark blue color; been matching with Bengal and End-on-End shirts to simplify. Any additional shirt pattern (and tie) pairing suggestion? definitely no white shirt for me on this one
[ATTACHMENT=5352]509.jpg (3,490k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

also, for a charcoal Herringbone SC [ATTACHMENT=5353]512.jpg (3,474k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
, again very limited pairing with blue shirts (stripes and solid) and sometimes white OCBD at night. Also looking for pairing suggestions other than blue..

Thanks in advance

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How can you move the buttons further apart? The external and internal anchoring holes have already been cut. Anyway, I think the overlap is fine. Maybe it's more Italian that narrow than English, but that's not necessarily bad. Any reason you are opposed to adding the top buttons? They would really help.

Ahh yes. Forgot about the inner workings. I'm fine to add the top buttons if need be. Will first wear it this Spring / Summer to see how it feels / looks.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ahh yes. Forgot about the inner workings. I'm fine to add the top buttons if need be. Will first wear it this Spring / Summer to see how it feels / looks.

Here, smooth out the sides and add the buttons; then you have perfection:

slewfoot_foofed1_zpsc58df205.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Foo.

While I'm the sort of stylistically challenged type who appreciate and occasionally wear all solids,

tumblr_m745qmTWkO1qaibfx.jpg

I also know that's it not of the specific species of 'good taste' as defined by this thread.

Within those parameters, I feel this random Italian's fit could actually benefit from some pattern in the tie and/or shirt, probably because the coat isn't loud enough:

tumblr_ljelxbzjs31qb5a3zo1_500.jpg

while this next one looks fine to me:

tumblr_lo3bbiYFv11qg9lao.jpg

(assuming for sake of argument that both tie and shirt are solid, as they appear in the pic).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Foo, this isn't a pocketsquare and charcoal trouser fail? Also, are those amoeba's on his tie?

We've discussed that pic before. Years ago. The trousers are not charcoal--but even so, yes, they would be better lighter in my opinion. It's not squareFAIL because he's managed to pick exactly the rusty, brickish sort of brown that marries his shoes to his jacket without bursting out at your eyes. That said, this is very hard to get right. and is more likely to fail. I would not copy.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't remember if I posted this one already. That's a white linen square.

What I'm wearing today. Navy knit tie. Kent Wang square. Barker Black shoes.

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I agree the jacket is no good, but I don't think you're going to get him to stop wearing it or cut it into ties.

That said--yes, I'd take one of those ties too.

stitch, the jacket is the problem. It has super limited usefullness. It's really a creature of the early 60s. Sell it to DocHolliday.

It almost demands a white shirt, or very pale blue or pink--so pale you have to double take to notice there's a color. Saturated colors are not good for that jacket.

The fabric would make a nice tie though. You can probably get four ties out of the two back panels. I will take one, thx.

That jacket would not make good ties. You are both wrong.

gyalos

Reaction score
I always thought that most italian businessmen (most italian men probably) are trying to imitate the Avocatto. This is especially true for those who came of age in the 60s or 70s.

Silvio falls under this category, but I actually I like his style. It is essentially the Italian business uniform, as foo prescribed, minus the PS which would be a no-no for a politician. Another difference may be that his shirts tend to be solid light blue, but I think that the overall effect does not deviate from what foo referred to in his blog post.

The suits if I am not mistaken are by Caraceni and the ties are always blue macclesfield marinellas. All in all, the best dressed politician today.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made it in life! I've finally been Foofed!

Thanks for the visual.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get an opinion on this shirt. I would most likely wear it with odd jackets, like the one below. I'm not sure what else it goes with (if anything). I can always return it. Thanks.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Please allow to ask a sincere, if noob, question. Per the rating this ensemble was given, why do black shoes detract from this outfit?

Allow me to try my hand at overthinking:

I'm generally a fan of black shoes and I think Americans wear brown shoes far to often, but here I see not necessarily that the shoes detract, just that they don't offer the best fit.

Charcoal suits definitely need black shoes, but lighter grays are too cold and need some warm grounding or they risk looking washed out, and black does not provide that. That suit is of a mid-grey tone where it straddles the boundary.

I think burgundy, oxblood or dark brown suede would have provided a bit more warmth without being too contrast-y as a mid-brown shoe.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads