whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i love it. that may not bode well for you.

2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Yes to the shirt, no to pairing it with the jacket. That shirt is casual. wear with denim or chinos.

3. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Win. Interested in joining the TSB?

4. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Z, I think that looks great. It is an Ed outfit if I have ever seen one, right down to the hint of colonoscopy bag in the pants.

5. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

I've been catching up on the last 40 pages or so over the last couple of days - this thread has become a real gem since Foo decided to act the enlightened despot. The more ruthless, the better! Might even overcome my lurking tendencies and subject myself to his judging one of these days.

6. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I apologize for recycling some items used recently in other outfits, but I am working with my travel wardrobe since I am away from home and it is considerably more limited than what I usually have available. Anyway, I am trying to apply some of foo's recommendations in terms of pattern density. I think I might have chosen a different PS if I had all my squares available. Anyway, thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: I really wasn't feeling the PS above, so here is an alternate one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

7. erpet

erpet Senior member

I really like the look of your travel wardrobe; tweed or cashmere PWC is meant to be worn in the real world. What do you wear in Dubai?

8. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

In my opinion, this is a big improvement C. Everything now pairs well. Personally I'd prefer less square showing, but that's just me. Anyway, your camera angle is probably exaggerating it. If you are trying to use the technique I discussed on my blog, try to ensure the resulting "puff" looks less balled-up and more gently curved. Keep the square more parallel to your chest as you bend it over. Final score for both: :foo::foo::foo:

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

bromer that's mostly quite good, but a little too washed out with the blues up top. I think a different tie would help, or else a pink or cream shirt

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Can I get a rating on my fit from yesterday? Curious about whether the white PS was a PS Fail or not :)

Will repost so you don't have to go digging... Apologies for crappy pics, again.

Is a blazer with mid-grey flannels. Tie is a darker burgundy than it appears here.

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Caustic Man

I pretty much wear the same kind of stuff in Dubai. The things I am wearing now are just what I happened to pack with me. Believe me, I do sometimes feel out of place amongst the double Windsor, pink tie crowd that hangs out in Dubai, but I have no problem with that. lol

12. Caustic Man

Thanks for the tips! I have been making a very real effort over the last few weeks, glad to see it is bearing fruit.

13. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

This looks solid, A. "White" silk squares are rarely actually white. In this pic, it looks more cream, so I am judging as if it is. In real life, just make sure it looks cream and not white. White silk is just viscerally disgusting. There is no explanation for it.

If you're trying to do my pocket square technique, make sure you get a single hump. And when wearing cream silk, show only a tiny bit of it. It does not cut as much as white linen, but it is still very contrasty, so a little goes a very long way.

Final score: :foo::foo::foo:

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Personally I think this would benefit from a striped shirt instead of a solid one.

15. Caustic Man

You don't think four patterns (in reference to the first PS) would have been too much for this?