• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wrote about just that here.

The short answer to your question is that I would probably add a pattern to the tie or shirt in that instance.

Yes, I just saw that. When I've seen mention of the 'Italian Backgound' it's usually been when used as an anchoring combo for a heavily patterned SC, not as something paired with a somber, solid business suit like what you discuss in your article there.

Used as such, do you still find it subpar?

johnvw

Reaction score

Agree that it needs to be a suit. Here's mine from Steed which I posted in the A&S Ex-Pat thread the other day.

Please allow me to ask a sincere, if noob, question: Per the rating this ensemble was given, why do black shoes detract from this outfit?

Last edited:

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yay! I agree on the shoes and I was requested to wear black shoes as it was an event I was working. Otherwise it's mostly always brown for me. I plan to wear it as is this season and see if we need to add buttons later. I like the unique flair the 4 button adds. I like the waist as is and I believe Edwin agrees as he pins it!

Slew, I think the reason why the 6 might look better than the 4 on this is because there's really quite a bit of empty space on the chest area which, at first blush, makes it look as if something's amiss, not so much the fact that it's 4 buttons and less 'right', so to speak. But, you do have time to think though about whether you want the two topmost buttons or not.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I agree. If you look at successful examples of 4x2 from the movies, the button stance is generally higher and the wrap is wider. That really looks like a 6x2 with two buttons missing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wrote about just that here.

The short answer to your question is that I would probably add a pattern to the tie or shirt in that instance.

That is a good article/post/entry, but I don't think it really addresses the Italian look, which tends to be almost mod-like in its austerity. For the reasons you explain, the illustration is great. But those same reasons also make it something else to begin with.

Pretty much my MO

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes, I just saw that. When I've seen mention of the 'Italian Backgound' it's usually been when used as an anchoring combo for a heavily patterned SC, not as something paired with a somber, solid business suit like what you discuss in your article there.

Used as such, do you still find it subpar?

True, the entry is on the business-oriented "uniform," not specifically the "Italian Background," but the principles and analysis still apply. We turn it into a cartoon in our heads and see: solid blue shirt, solid blue tie, solid blue shirt, solid blue tie, etc. But the truth is that there is often quite a bit of pattern at play. I would hesitate to pair a heavily patterned tweed odd jacket with a solid blue shirt and solid blue tie because they tend to get blocked off. I'd prefer to have a pattern in at least one.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Luciano Barbera:

Biella+5.2010+007.JPG

Luciano_Barbera.jpg

search

tumblr_m8c8iudmDj1qfjc32o1_500.jpg

As iconic an Italian dresser as any, yet Luciano does not use the all-solid, so-called "Italian Background." Rather, he often pairs a navy-grounded tie with a light blue-grounded shirt, and one or both are almost always patterned. The tie may have another color in it. These were from a quick Google image search. I haven't come across an outfit where he's clearly wearing a solid blue tie and solid blue shirt.

When we see color-blocked Italians, they tend to be the more anonymous or fashion-oriented sort. Essentially: random Roman businessmen. It seems to me the famed dressers of Italy tend to inject a whole lot more nuance. Hence, the real takeaway lesson is that when wearing the "Background," pattern and texture should be employed to achieve the best effect.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Well, I always thought the best dressed Italians were the Milanse and the "country gentlemen" from the Lombardy lake country.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, you know who does do the totally blocked-out, no-pattern "Italian Background?" Lino, of Al Bazar. But he's a cartoon in and of himself.

Last edited:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Slew, I think the reason why the 6 might look better than the 4 on this is because there's really quite a bit of empty space on the chest area which, at first blush, makes it look as if something's amiss, not so much the fact that it's 4 buttons and less 'right', so to speak. But, you do have time to think though about whether you want the two topmost buttons or not.

I agree. If you look at successful examples of 4x2 from the movies, the button stance is generally higher and the wrap is wider. That really looks like a 6x2 with two buttons missing.

I hear that. While tough to make them higher I could always move them out a touch. Would make the wrap a touch tighter, but there is room. We shall see.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How can you move the buttons further apart? The external and internal anchoring holes have already been cut. Anyway, I think the overlap is fine. Maybe it's more Italian that narrow than English, but that's not necessarily bad. Any reason you are opposed to adding the top buttons? They would really help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads