• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More and more. I'm getting a bit tired of mtm/bespoke. I know that may sound strange (or blasé)
on this forum and considering how much I've enjoyed choosing fabrics, buttons, details etcetera
in the past. And I'm happy with the MTM suits and bespoke shirts that I currently have (I don't have
bespoke suits or jackets). But I think I can get a decent fit OTR, and decent is good enough for me.
Getting the right fit on clothes is a PITA; I don't enjoy that process of tweaking and tweaking to get a
perfect (or really good) fit at all.
But ask me again in a couple of years. :)

that is fascinating. often times i begin to wonder if all the effort towards "perfection" (if that is even possible) is worth it, and maybe i should be satisfied with good enough. i always end up saying yes.
but ask me again in a couple of years. :)

But is it all about the perfection? Look at NOBD's latest post Donegal suit, go try and buy some 3/2 patch pocket suits, or some fresco or flannel fabric suits. I can't find them easily.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But is it all about the perfection? Look at NOBD's latest post Donegal suit, go try and buy some 3/2 patch pocket suits, or some fresco or flannel fabric suits. I can't find them easily.

True, JP. I love the picking of fabrics and details part of MTM. I think all of my Caruso suits are hard or perhaps impossible to find OTR.

point1

Reaction score
swedish+chef.jpg

(Yes, I know Holland ain't in Scandinavia)

Strangely enough, I who am swedish and don't have any education in dutch, actually understands pretty much of what their writing. The languages (written) are quite similar and the culture as well I believe.

Last edited:

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NIce combos sugarbutch. Are you double wrapping those tie knots? They seem a bit larger than I'd expect.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is a good point. forgot about that.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Right now I'm still at the stage where when I put on my RTW stuff it annoys me slightly. Of course some of my bespoke things still annoy me slightly too but...slightly less. And I think I have it close to dialed in now on bespoke, at least with Mina. Having put in the time effort and expense to get there it seems to make sense to take advantage and get things that fit me the way I like.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right now I'm still at the stage where when I put on my RTW stuff it annoys me slightly. Of course some of my bespoke things still annoy me slightly too but...slightly less. And I think I have it close to dialed in now on bespoke, at least with Mina. Having put in the time effort and expense to get there it seems to make sense to take advantage and get things that fit me the way I like.

How many garments did you get from her?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate your comments on which tie/PS, if any, works.

Up first is a flat silk 7 fold and a shot silk Hober PS (kind of coarse, like raw silk, but with a sheen) furnishing the brown fresco. Shirt is creamy to light yellow.

Second is a grenadine grossa with a raw silk print in light greens, browns and yellows.

More contrast here with a burgundy grozza square

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pliny - I'd say the last one. Although I do think a pale blue shirt would be ideal. Acasually folded off-white linen pocket square perhaps also ideal. Glad you're getting some good use out of the fresco!

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

Pliny - I'd say the last one. Although I do think a pale blue shirt would be ideal. Acasually folded off-white linen pocket square perhaps also ideal. Glad you're getting some good use out of the fresco!

Or pale pink maybe.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

absolutely loving that fresco so much i will be getting more: the texture as much as the color of it. Your blue + brown and off-white would be very much the kind of look you go for yourself no? I'll try it.

Or pale pink maybe.

thanks, yean pink and brown can work - Vox combineda brown SC and pink BD recently on his Tublr - with a black wool tie and i think a pale PS

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How many garments did you get from her?

As of right now in my closet, I have 3 odd jackets, 2 odd trousers, 2 shirts, and 1 suit. 4 suits and 3 odd jackets are in various stages of completion. Really all of the things that bother me about earlier commissions are things that I got wrong during the fittings rather than things that Mina got wrong. It takes a little bit to learn how to envision something as a final product that you're wearing every day when you're looking at it in a mirror in the fitting stage for a few minutes. Sometimes it takes wearing something a few times before you realize you wish you had done something slightly differently. But even from the first commissions, particularly in the chest and shoulders, the fit is far superior to anything RTW I have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads