• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Panerai Luminor base?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by East Oakland
The current $5800 price is a little hard to swallow, though. I was looking at one of these in 2001, when they retailed for $1850. Decided against it, and am kicking myself now.

According to the 2000 price list at paneristi.com, the base models went for $2350.
I was shocked to look at the Sept 08 price list and see the Titanium base is $5800.
Even more shocked to see the destro base is $6200.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
According to the 2000 price list at paneristi.com, the base models went for $2350.
I was shocked to look at the Sept 08 price list and see the Titanium base is $5800.
Even more shocked to see the destro base is $6200.

That's probably right--I am probably remembering wrong. Still, for it to just up to $5800 in such a short time (presumably based on demand) is fairly shocking.

rick

Reaction score
the new models have just been announced. most of which have in house movments. if your willing to wait about a yeer the new 312 is price at 4900 euro with an in house movement, not bad. go to www.panerai.com to see them. btw panerai are like chips you can't just have one.

Jacksdad

Reaction score
The logo models (000 and 005) have painted dails.

I own three Base models.
The lefty 219, which I'm wearing right now, a 000, and also an older Titanium brown dial.
Of those, I wear the 219 the most.

I'd be somewhat surprised if they went to in-house movements for those models.
Prices would go from merely overpriced to hellishly overpriced.

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to guess what a company is going to do in the future or what the prices will be. If you like it, just get it now.

Hey hey, you and I are almost identical watch twins. I have a 219, 005, and a titanium brown dial (240)
I must say the titanium gets the most wrist time, since I find it extremely durable and I really don't care how many battle scars it gets.
biggrin.gif

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacksdad
I must say the titanium gets the most wrist time, since I find it extremely durable and I really don't care how many battle scars it gets.
biggrin.gif

I think I read that the titanium ones scratches easier than the steel ones. Is that your experience as well, and - If so - in what way do you find it more durable?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Titanium scratches easier than steel but the scratches don't look as bad especially when compared against scratches on polished steel.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ti is harder than most grades of St therefore more durable. It does show scratches but it's also easier to re-brush when one needs to clean it up. It's also lighter, non-magnetic and hypo-allergenic. It's overall superior to St + it takes an awesome hue/patina as it oxides

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The choice is definitely down to either the PAM 0 or the PAM 176.

Since I don't see a need for the display back, don't mind the 'OP' logo and haven't made up my mind about painted vs sandwich dials, the Base Logo would suit my needs best. Plus it's a great deal cheaper. If only it wasn't polished steel!

Is it feasible to get a polished steel case brushed up professionally? Is the mere thought heretical?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not a problem at all to get it brushed. You could even do it yourself if you were brave enough.
I know I've seen pictures of some DIY brush jobs.

I personally think it's a bit heretical but hey, it's your watch.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the 000. The Ti models don't have the same wrist presence as SS.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a problem at all to get it brushed. You could even do it yourself if you were brave enough.
I know I've seen pictures of some DIY brush jobs.

What do you use to do the brushing? Some sort of very fine-grit sandpaper, or something more specialized?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
Go with the 000. The Ti models don't have the same wrist presence as SS.

You say that as if it was a bad thing
smile.gif

(I have Ti and SS so no "team bias", rather a preference based on my own experience and taste)

Toorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
I'm thinking about geting a Panerai and I much prefer the Luminor base models.

Currently I'm leaning towards the PAM 00176 (I'm only looking at current models, to be bought new.)

What are your thoughts on sandwich vs painted dials? (From the catalogue it looks like the Luminor base Logo - PAM 00000 - has a painted dial...)

What about polished steel vs brushed titanium?

Does someone have an idea about the future of these watches? Will they within the foreseeable future be made with in-house movements? Any reason why you would wait for this? Or does it seem like a better idea to buy before this happens, as OP historically haven't used their own movements and since they'll propably be a fair deal more expensive if/when they do?

I find the painted dials give the watch a "sportier" look as the dial pops a bit more whereas the painted dial is a touch more elegant/sophisticated as it's more subtle. Which to get is a matter of personal preference.

Polished vs. Ti is also a personal preference. The polished is a little blingier and weightier, the Ti more subdued and lighter on the wrist. Again - personal preference to color and feel of watch.

The new line that came out uses a new in-house movement - an auto with a 3 day power reserve styled on the 1950 case with a flat crystal. (The current 1950 models sport a beautiful domed crystal and an 8 day in-house movement +1 auto/8day. )I think they will continue to produce the manual wind base movements well into the future. They are the heart and soul of the brand.

You are definitely on the right track with your 2 options. As I've stated before, you should really just try them both and pick the one you prefer. Having said that I'll still toss in my 2 cents as a long time "risti" and suggest the zero. Frankly, if you took this to a Panerai board the response would overwhelmingly favor the zero.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toorman
I find the painted dials give the watch a "sportier" look as the dial pops a bit more whereas the painted dial is a touch more elegant/sophisticated as it's more subtle.
Did you mean Sandwich = sportier and Painted = more subtle?

Btw, what is your thoughts on having a polished steel case brushed up?

Toorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Did you mean Sandwich = sportier and Painted = more subtle?

Btw, what is your thoughts on having a polished steel case brushed up?

No, I meant what I wrote. The painted dial is much bolder and really pops. I find it more playful/casual. I have a 112 with a painted dial that is my casual/summer watch as I feel it just lends itself to jeans, tee shirts, sneaks, the beach, etc. I find the current 112 with the sandwich dial doesn't convey that. Not better or worse just different but I prefer my painted 112 and will never part with it for that reason. My 210 has a sandwich dial and that is the watch I wear when I'm in a suit and tie.

I love the brushed case. My favorite Panerai is the 233 which has the brushed case and SS bezel. A lot of people have their SS cases DLC/PVd coated but I have not heard of anyone brushing them. If you can find someone who is capable of doing the work and can show you examples of previous efforts then knock yourself out. My one concern would be the crown guard. I think it would look better if that were brushed to match the case and that might be a touch trickier.

Your last option is to consider titanium. The look is much closer to brushed than stainless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads