• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Panerai Luminor base?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should check on Paneristi if anyone knows when the 2009 pricelist is coming out - also look at recent offers for sale on the collectors market - that will give you a good idea of the market values. That said, this sounds like a phenomenal discount - 45% discount is pretty much unheard of for a NIB PAM from an AD.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wha? Don't you certified Paneristi know the market value of every model?!?

J/K - I'll check it out myself.

The PAMs are cheaper here in Europe, so it's more like a 33% discount, but still very hard not to jump at
bounce2.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Wha? Don't you certified Paneristi know the market value of every model?!?
Honestly, I have not bought or sold a PAM in at least 3 years... But the CM on Paneristi is searchable so it's very easy and quick to determine current market

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool.

Thanks for your help and insights, gdl (and the rest of you who helped me out here).

smile.gif

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$3500 USD is a steal for a NIB 177.

177s are listed for various prices on Paneristi and TZ. I'm guessing an average sale price is around $4k-$4250. In general, I think the 177 is a harder piece to move because there is less of a cult following for Ti marinas. The 177G is a different story though; it is much more desirable because of its painted dial and more decorated movement.

Jacksdad

Reaction score
no price increase for K series (09) models. My AD actually told me with the state of the economy, none of the watch manufacturers will be doing price increases in the near future.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacksdad
no price increase for K series (09) models. My AD actually told me with the state of the economy, none of the watch manufacturers will be doing price increases in the near future.

OP is in Europe though. Euro prices are going up next month.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btinl
The 177G is a different story though; it is much more desirable because of its painted dial and more decorated movement.
This confuses me. Goggling 'PAM 177G' didn't help. Checking the model numbers @ Paneristi.com, under PAM 177 it just says 'G onwards'. Is the one I'm looking at in the 2008 catalogue a 177G? It has a display back (and the more decorated movement you're talking about?) but a sandwich dial, not the painted dial you mention.

The one I'm offered and the one I've seen in the shop are the same generation as this, I believe. Are these the 'more desirable' 177G? (Sorry if this is extremely noobish
blush.gif
)

Originally Posted by btinl
OP is in Europe though. Euro prices are going up next month.
That's interesting! Might have to pull the trigger very soon.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 177G was from the first year of production. G indicates the year of production. I believe they are still on K now. All of the new 177Ks are sandwich dials.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thank you for the clarification.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've ordered a PAM 177 so let's talk straps
biggrin.gif

Do you recommend getting original OEM Panerai straps or going with some of the other manufacturers instead?

On Paneristi.com I saw mention of Dirk and I like the look of these.

Manifatture Firenze and Mario Paci looks good too.

I'm guessing all of these are made in Italy, so (being in Europe) I'd prefer to order from them directly.

Strangely, I can't find a site for Dirk (in the US you can get them here) - does any one know where to go for European orders?

And why are Mario Paci's prices only in dollars? Isn't he Italian based? Doesn't he ship from Italy??

Advice and recommendations greatly appreciated
smile.gif

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Micah and Simona straps.

IMO, the best casual strap is a WWII Ammo made by Kevin Rogers (Sold by BigB (Bruce) at WatchUWant).

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Those WWII Ammo straps look really good!

But $330 is pretty steep (not counting shipping, tax and 25% VAT on top of all that...).

For now I'm only looking for European sellers...

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
^ Those WWII Ammo straps look really good!

But $330 is pretty steep (not counting shipping, tax and 25% VAT on top of all that...).

For now I'm only looking for European sellers...

Simona is in Italy.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ After googling Micah and Simona I saw that. She's on my list - thanks!

Any other recommendations from Europe?

Does any one have any input on Dirk and Mario Paci (and whether they ship from Europe or not?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics