• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which of these workouts to go with?? one is 5x5 variation I made up and other is body part split...

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to do a typical body part split of chest/tris, back/bis, shoulders/legs...body looked pretty good but strength gains were slow, switch to riptoe's 5x5 and wasnt super impressed with my results, here is what I just started doing:

Workout A:
Squat 5x5
Flat Bench w/ bb 5x5
Dips 3xF
Push Ups 3xF
Bent Row 5x5
Preacher or someother type of curls 3x10

Workout B:
Weighted walking Lunges 3xF
Overhead Press 5x5
Upright Row 3x10
Incline Bench 5x5
Deadlift 2x8
Close Grip Pull ups 3xF

I wanted to get thoughts on this? anything missing or anything you would change? Currently alternating M, W, F, with minimal cardio (just warm up stuff) and intense cardio and core work on T, Th.

Here is the body split workout I am considering...

Chest & Tri's:
Flat Bench
Incline Bench (dont go below paralell 2 chest)
Incline Db Fly

Dips
Cable push down or Diamond pushups
Skull Crushers or Close grip bench

Back & Bi's:
Deadlift
Lat Pulldown
One Arm Db Row
Back Extensions
Seated Row

Incline Db Curl
Bb Curl
Chin Up (close-grip)

Legs & Shoulders:
Squat
Leg Press Machine
Lunges (or db bulgarian split squat i.e., 1 leg bench lunge)

Military Press
Side Raises
Shrugs
Upright Row

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 5x5 style programs are geared towards one thing only, maximizing your core three lifts. You have way too much volume there to do that, unless you've already been lifting for over a decade.

If that is the case, you shouldn't be looking at 5x5 at all, since it's geared towards linear gains.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5x5 is just a rep scheme, stuff like SS just happens to use a 5x5 rep scheme and is focused on linear progression. Routine looks solid, i'd move the deadlift to the beginning of the workout too and replace upright rows with facepulls. Really not that much volume.

Last edited:

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 5x5 style programs are geared towards one thing only, maximizing your core three lifts. You have way too much volume there to do that, unless you've already been lifting for over a decade.
If that is the case, you shouldn't be looking at 5x5 at all, since it's geared towards linear gains.

so you think i would get more out of a body part split (maybe trimmed a bit) ratehr than the 5x5 style program I have laid out above?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you'll make pretty good gains on a program like the one above.

Could do something like

A
Squat 5x5
Bench press 5x5
DB incline press 3x8
Tricep iso work 3x8
face pull 3x12

B
Squat 5x5
deadlift 3x3
Rowing motion 3x5-8
vertical pulling 3x5-8
Bicep iso work 3x8
face pull 3x12

facepulls erryday for shoulder health.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads