• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which looks worse, loose collar or short sleeves?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one makes shirts that fit me well, and I can't afford bespoke on a regular basis. I need shirts that have a 15" collar and 36" sleeves (if not longer). Unfortunately, the only shirts I can find with 36" sleeves come in collar sizes of 15.5" or larger.

If you were in my position, which you choose?

A. I'd rather have a slightly loose collar in order to get the sleeve length right.
B. I'd rather have slightly short sleeves in order to get the collar to fit correctly.

dano

Reaction score
I have a similar problem (16-37) and I found MTM programs to be the best way to get well fitting shirts. Not nearly as expensive as bespoke, just make sure you get someone to take good measurements of you.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2"/157, with 15.25" neck and 36"+ arms. Before I discovered SF, I once found a fitted 15.5 36/37 Geoffrey Beane shirt on eBay and it was the happiest day of my (...sartorial) life.

I'll throw in with MTM, pending. With $75 riding on my first one (a tailorstore.com shirt), we shall see how that turns out in a couple of weeks; I'll try to report in this thread.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the shirts you buy have any tie space? If so, have you thought about removing the collar button and moving it over a bit and then resewing it? You might have to move over the button of the second button as well just a little just so the shirt doesn't look too off but it depends on how much you had to make the collar adjustment. Hope that helps.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
You might look at the Lands End Custom shirt program. They don't have a big selection in solids, but I think they have white and blue at least for around 50 bucks. That would take care of your collar, sleeve, and, I expect, slim fit problems.

I have bought a few of their Custom shirts when they have a pattern that I like as their standard shirts only go to 17.5 and I take a 18.0. I think they are a good value.

Paul Fredrick also has a custom program, but I only have one of their shirts as I find most of their patterns to be rather awful. I forget what their selection of solids is like.

Good luck, Jim.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loose collar.

How much can you afford? MyTailor.com is pretty decent. I'm pretty happy with their two-plys.

dk123

Reaction score
Personally I would prefer the slightly loose collar to sleeves that are too short.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
No one makes shirts that fit me well, and I can't afford bespoke on a regular basis. I need shirts that have a 15" collar and 36" sleeves (if not longer). Unfortunately, the only shirts I can find with 36" sleeves come in collar sizes of 15.5" or larger.

A. I'd rather have a slightly loose collar in order to get the sleeve length right.
B. I'd rather have slightly short sleeves in order to get the collar to fit correctly.

When I buy shirts OTR, I have a tailor shorten sleeves and slim down the sides. Makes a world of difference.

MarcusB

Reaction score
The loose collar in my opinion
smile.gif
. I tend to wear a short sleeved shirt if I'm not wearing my jacket.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a quick fix, I would get the 15.5 x 36 and then move the collar button. See if you can find shirts with a gap or space in the collar, and move the button 1/4 or 1/2 inch and eliminate the space.

sloane3

Reaction score

C.

3157069583_da05d77c54_b.jpg

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarcusB
Here's my short sleeved shirt

3157069583_da05d77c54_b.jpg

Do you have any appendages? You're 3 feet tall and I can't see any arms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads