Which is better for trousers - WW Chan or NYC tailors?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VACPA, Sep 16, 2006.

1. VACPA

VACPA Member

I'm going to NYC in a few weeks to get some shirts made at CEGO. I also need some trousers and wasn't sure whether WW Chan or someone like Mr Ned, Tim the Tailor, or LS would be the best option for an out-of-towner like me. What do you think? I've also thought about Hemrajani, but I don't like the idea of having an appointment with 3 other guys at the same time. Thanks!

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I think Chan and LS are your two best choices there. While I have many pairs of trousers from Chan, I have not yet tried LS so I cannot offer a firsthand comparison. Chan's trousers are solidly made although machine-sewn and I have been quite happy with their fit. LS trousers have some handwork and I know some of his customers with moderate bespoke/MTM experience who speak highly of the fit as well. Unless someone here can weigh in with firsthand experience with both Chan and LS, I would suggest you try whomever is most convenient for you since the respective costs are nearly the same and neither are likely to produce an unwearable garment.

dan

3. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Tim the Tailor sounds like a BBC chidren's show. [​IMG]

4. VACPA

VACPA Member

Perhaps I should have mentioned this in the opening post - what are the price ranges for the various makers discussed above? Do any of them have minimum orders? I'd like to order one first to see how the fit/contstruction is before I order another 5 or so.

What should I specify for my order? I have large hips/thighs compared to my waist due to competitive weightlifting (33" waist, 41" hips, 25.5" thighs). I was thinking double pleats (facing outwards), lining down to knee, cuffs, small break.

Also, what are the basic/classic colors? I come up with dark/light charcoal, olive, tan. Are navy and brown staples as well?

Thanks for the help!