• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which boots would you recommend?

enarchay

Reaction score
For most of my life I've worn sneakers but I want to start dressing nicer. I figured I'd start with a pair of boots for casual wear and to wear with jeans. I looked around the forums and people have a huge variety of different types of boots and I had no idea how to make a decision. Clarks DB seem to be a favorite, but I wonder how versatile they are considering you probably can't get them wet.

What boots would you guys recommend? As for budget, I'd like to stay under $150 or so.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Look for some vintage Doc Marten boots, circa early to mid 1990s, in brown leather. Anything 8 to 16 eyelets. Not sure what a vintage price would bring, but I can't imagine it would be more than 150, depending on wear.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
I've read that suede (i.e. Clark's Desert Boots) is surprisingly resilient if treated with some kind of a special clear water sealant for suede. Of course, I've never tried this myslef. I don't own any suede (...yet).

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Suede in rain sucks. Nothing against Clarks DBs, I own 4 pairs. You just need something else in wet weather.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Look for some vintage Doc Marten boots, circa early to mid 1990s, in brown leather. Anything 8 to 16 eyelets. Not sure what a vintage price would bring, but I can't imagine it would be more than 150, depending on wear.

Docs rule for anyone needing an all-round good, inexpensive and comfy boot.

Robert (that old-school punk) is, of course, referring to these:

11855600.png

Post this question here though. I'm sure you'll get less annoying replies than mine (and it's a really good thread):

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=87638&page=43

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads