• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which between these two Briefcases?

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
I am in need of a new breifcase and after reading through SF, I've learned to avoid getting Kenneth Cole or any other fashion name breifcases.

I decided on Jack Georges, but I'm not sure on which of these two to get

the Saddle Collection Old English in Brown
http://www.jackgeorges.com/products/...ag-225-80.html

Or Platinum Special Edition single gusset top zip in brown http://www.jackgeorges.com/products/...zip-66-33.html

I don't carry a laptop but would like space to carry a small one if neccessary. Mostly I carry notepads, pens, a few 10 page reports, and a small read for the train.

I'm also looking for durability, something that will last a while and looks good.

Thanks All

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first one seems a lot more casual -- like something you would wear with corduroys and a tweed jacket -- whereas the second one seems dressier and more appropriate for pairing with a suit.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
When I saw the title of this thread I thought I'd be suggesting that briefcases are "out" and over the shoulder messenger bags are "in", but ya know what? I am really impressed with your choice of the Platinum Special Edition. It isn't a hard case and doesn't have that old fashioned look to it which is one reason messenger bags (AKA "man purses") are all the rage these days, especially with the under 50 crowd.

I think spertia hit the nail on the head regarding the other one. I'd consider the Platinum to not only be dressier, but more versatile. You'll look sharp dressed in a suit walking into the boardroom with it and you'll look sharp in jeans and a sport coat taking notes over the weekend sitting at some cafe. For $130 less, you'll look like a million bucks with cash to spare for an extra latte.
smile.gif

mendozavr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
I am really impressed with your choice of the Platinum Special Edition. It isn't a hard case and doesn't have that old fashioned look to it which is one reason messenger bags (AKA "man purses") are all the rage these days, especially with the under 50 crowd.
That's funny, one of the main reasons I like the platinum is because it comes a shoulder strap.
tongue.gif
Are there any more minimalist briefcases with shoulder straps like this?

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendozavr
That's funny, one of the main reasons I like the platinum is because it comes a shoulder strap.
tongue.gif

Are there any more minimalist briefcases with shoulder straps like this?

Even better! I didn't notice that under the features the first time I looked. Definitely makes it even more of a winner and even more versatile than I originally thought.

I'm a big fan of messenger bags or briefcases w/ shoulder straps such as this one that are minimalist, but also fashionable. It used to be that a man bag = ugly bag. Not anymore.

About 10 years ago, I was looking for an over the shoulder bag and it was extremely difficult to find a man's bag that didn't look like it was passed down from my father. I ended up buying a Polo Sport messenger bag from the women's section at The Bay.
smile.gif
It's very simple: black, flap opening with Polo Sport logo, pocket on the side (great for slipping in a paper or magazine on the go), and 2 zip pockets on the front just below the flap. I keep a digital camera in one of those pockets and at the bottom of the side pocket I keep an umbrella that is easy to grab when the rain comes down. Definitely has a unisex look. In fact, I don't think it would like right on a woman. But 10 years ago it was just starting to become common for a man to carry a bag such as this.

It's not made of leather and wouldn't be considered in the same class as these ones, but it still is in perfect condition and doesn't look close to 10 years old and only cost me $105.

I think that Platinum Special Edition is great value for the money, will last a lifetime both in terms of quality and fashion.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least 2 of my bags are this style (1st one), which I prefer much more than the other. Even tho both of mine have shoulder straps, I almost never use them, they ruin your posture & the way your jacket sits on your shoulder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads