• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where's the most conservatively Christian place to live?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
No, Christianity is the one of the big three Abrahamic religions that doesn't endorse stoning. 'Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone,' and all that.
You should go back and reread Acts 7 & 8 then. And most of the OT.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You should go back and reread Acts 7 & 8 then. And most of the OT.

Oh, maybe I will. Apparently I've forgotten about Stephen the Buddhist monk stoned by Pentecostal missionaries in Acts.

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
No, Christianity is the one of the big three Abrahamic religions that doesn't endorse stoning. 'Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone,' and all that.

O RLY
If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city. Deuteronomy 22:23-24

And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him. Leviticus 24:16

If there be found among you ... that ... hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them ... Then shalt thou ... tone them with stones, till they die. Deuteronomy 17:2-5

A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Your move, champ! Nothing like the good book to teach you about compassion and tolerance!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least among cities of some size, Lubbock, Texas, would have to be a contender. At least it certainly would have been when I lived there over 35 years ago. It had the distinction of being the largest "dry" city in the country.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vatican City if you could get a room.

Outside that, I can't believe that Salt Lake City, Utah hasn't been mentioned. Though I suspect there are small towns in Utah that are even more conservative.

You can't buy beer on Sundays in South Carolina, but you can ride your motorcycle without a helmet every day of the year
blush.gif

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
In Artisan Fan's guest bedroom.

This has to be the winner. It's a very uneducated form of Christianity though, not commonly accepted amongst scholars.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bring The Noise
O RLY
If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city. Deuteronomy 22:23-24

And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him. Leviticus 24:16

If there be found among you ... that ... hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them ... Then shalt thou ... tone them with stones, till they die. Deuteronomy 17:2-5

A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Your move, champ! Nothing like the good book to teach you about compassion and tolerance!

dumbest crap i've ever heard. do you know of any christian today that stones people to death? do you know of any christians that follow the OT laws to the exact letter? christians are christian because they don't abide by the old covenant.

1 Corinthians 11:25 - In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me."

2 Corinthians 3:6 - He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant"”not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Luke 22:20 - In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Hebrews 9:15 - For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance"”now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

really pisses me off every time somebody quotes the deuteronomy or leviticus and says that's what christianity is about. you're only looking for excuses to invalidate christian beliefs not actually trying to understand the whole view and how can you criticize christianity if you pick and choose what you don't like about it. why do you think christ came? it's because we can't be justified by obedience under the old testament laws because all have sinned. justification by faith not by works.

it also really pisses me off when people quote OT laws to try and prove a non-existent point about the lack of christian compassion and kindness. the christian community is the single largest community that has done the largest amount of work in the non-profit, charity, and human rights sector. how many commercials do you see for secular organizations that ask you to be a beneficiary for a starving african children? how many christian organizations are there in comparison to secular organizations that brave conditions of destabilization and still continue to administer to people all around the world like afghanistan, iraq, cambodia, vietnam, phillipines, africa? who were at the forefront of the US feminist and african american rights movement? who were at the forefront of the environmental conservation movement? who were at the forefront of global tragedies such as the rwandan genocide, sudanese genocide, hurricane katrina, to earthquakes and floods and famines in China, India, and all around the globe?

how much do you donate every year to the poor and oppressed? how many hours a week do you spend doing charity work? how long has it been since you actually ever cared enough some global tragedy that you were active in telling everybody you knew about how deprave the situation was?

for every bastard criticize for calling himself christian and yet does the unthinkable there's 3, 4 more who's doing more good for the world that you've never even heard of or even able to recognize.

how can you hate christianity for the wrongdoings that some christians have wrongly committed under the name of christianity when 1) those things are not what christianity stands for 2) the christian community has done so much more for the world than any other community has.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads