• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where's a good place to travel to after college graduation?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got six months between graduation and graduate school (end of march to september). There's always Europe, but that's been done to death. Suggestions? Nowhere with a hot climate.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I vote places that haven't been touristed to death. I'd get to China sooner rather than later.

Hong Kong is phenomenal, especially if you've grown up in a suburban environment. I studied abroad there, excellent place to visit. Definitely foreign, but you never feel completely lost... and of course you can get shirts/suits made.

Singapore is beautiful and cosmopolitan; Indonesian or Malaysia can be fun if you're a bit adventurous. As a post-college trip, Asia can be great because it's cheap - easy to get from place to place.

(Just read the 'no hot climates' part - Don't go to Singapore. I've never pitted out faster in my life, it's so unbelievably hot and humid 24/7. Everything has AC... which may make it ok to visit, right?)

Pink22m

Reaction score
With all the political unrest that has been occuring there lately, now probably isn't the most opportune time to visit Nepal. I would love to visit Nepal however.

I traveled to Lhasa, Tibet when I was 15, which was quite an experience. Despite the regions geographical remoteness, the completion of the new Tibetan railway will surely undercut the impenetrability of Tibet.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
basically, I don't think that you can avoid heat. I would do one of two trecks - South America or South Asia. living in the states, the chances are better that you will get to south america in the future, so I would do south asia. you can have a great deal of fun in Thailand, Malaysia, India, Burma for very little money. I know people who have trecked around india for a year on a very tight budget. I wouldn't focus just on india, but if you did 6 weeks in thailand, and 2 months in india, and then the other 10 weeks spread out over the rest of the region you could see a hell of alot, and have a great time, and it wouldn't be that expensive.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
With all the political unrest that has been occuring there lately, now probably isn't the most opportune time to visit Nepal. I would love to visit Nepal however.

I traveled to Lhasa, Tibet when I was 15, which was quite an experience. Despite the regions geographical remoteness, the completion of the new Tibetan railway will surely undercut the impenetrability of Tibet.

No. The reason to not travel to Nepal during the summer is because the mountains are covered in haze and cloud.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I've got six months between graduation and graduate school (end of march to september). There's always Europe, but that's been done to death. Suggestions? Nowhere with a hot climate.

Pakistan's northern areas might be cool enough for you. Central Asia, in particular Kyrgyzstan, might offer you an adventure off the beaten path (though just about everything is beaten a bit).

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll go against the grain and suggest some places a little closer to home. If you've never been to some of the national parks in the United States, they can be wonderful places to visit. I've had the opportunity to visit Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier. I've also been to Banff in Western Canada. If you like outdoor activity, these places can be wonderful - beautiful views, great hiking (either day hiking or camping), wildlife, etc. Yellowstone is a bit touristy, but it's just north of Grand Teton, which is much quieter. You can hit both in the same trip. I've also heard that Yosemite in California is very nice, but I've never been.

Traveling to more exotic foreign lands can be a wonderful experience. However, I find that too often that Americans neglect the wealth of great places to visit in the United States.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in 6 months you can do the appalacian trail. once in a lifetime experience.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Best part about hiking the Appalaichian Trail is that you can claim you're hard core, but still drink beer almost every night
wink.gif

When you say Europe has been done to death, does that mean by you? Because if not, there's a reason it's a popular destination. I recommend St Petersburg, Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, east into the Ukraine, back for Budapest, Prague, Ljubjana, Bratislava, Dalmatian Coast. Either continue south from there or turn west and meet the rest of the college tourers.

Alternatively, central Asia is truly something you'll never see again, the bus is running between Pakistan and India through Kashmir, and the transition through Bhutan to Tibet will change your life. Nepal is also "done to death," if you're really worried about that kind of thing.

Tom

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Alternatively, central Asia is truly something you'll never see again, the bus is running between Pakistan and India through Kashmir, and the transition through Bhutan to Tibet will change your life. Nepal is also "done to death," if you're really worried about that kind of thing.

Tom

Eeeeeeeeeeert! Wait. The bus running between Pakistan and India through Kashmir? No. The only legal crossing is at Wagah, in the Punjab south of the mountains and hills.

Also, no legal crossing between Bhutan and Tibet.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation at the moment but I haven't done the classic backpacking through Europe so I'm leaning towards that. I would recommend the following in your case:

-If you're into the outdoors I would second the suggestion for Western Canada. There are literally thousands of camping, hiking, breathtakng scenery experiences in Alberta/British Columbia/Alaska

-I didn't see it mentioned but Africa is definetly an amazing experience. I've only been to Tanzania but the country and people are beautiful. Just avoid the Northeast part of the country, not the safest at the moment.

A.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about Buenos Aries and trips out from there?

It's southern hemi to it will be winter.

It's BA so it's cheap as chips 'cause their economy is still generally in the crapper.

And, it's one of the coolest places on earth from what I hear.

bob

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy: South Dakota.

I believe the state motto is: "South Dakota: It will make everywhere else you ever live seem far better."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads