1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Where to Shop in Vienna?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Siggy, May 26, 2006.

1. Siggy

Siggy Senior member

Hey all, I'm flying to Frankfurt this week and then going to Vienna, Austria. I'm interested in anyone's recommendations for good shops, specifically for good shoes or anything else of interest.

I used to live in Vienna years ago and know the city well. However, that was before sartorial awareness so now I'm looking forward to discovering some new things. Thanks.

2. andrebaron

andrebaron Active Member

Go to Knize on the Graben---it is one stop shopping and a temple of great clothing and footwear.

3. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

I just got back from Vienna, and I really enjoyed the city. I didn't do any clothes shopping, but I do recall seeing some footwear shops downtown at Stephansplatz. On a non sartorial note, I found the Kunstistorisches Museum to be absolutely wonderful.

4. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

As previously mentioned, Vienna's menswear institution is Knize, whose work I put on par with Attolini. They also sell Brioni, I think. Their shirts are also nice but I'm not convinced they're worth the money. Also, lots of cool shoe places. Ludwig Reiter is the Austrian equivalent of the Northampton shoemakers, and Georg Materna makes beautiful shoes, too.

The only shoe store I remember on Stephansplatz proper is a Bruno Magli store. That could just be faulty memory, though.

If you're into more fashion-foward stuff (Comme and so on) then also check out emis. Their hours are ridulously short, and they take a long lunch break in the middle of the day, but everyone who works there is super-nice. Also, Vienna has weird outlets that open up every once in a while. Once just walking down Kärtnerstr. I followed a sign for an outlet and ended up loading up on sweet Fray shirts for 75-90% off. The chain Don Gil has some nice house-brand stuff, similar in look and feel (perhaps even in manufacture) to Barney's Co-op line, and the big department store on Kärtnerstr. - don't remember the name, but its top floor is a schicki-miki bar - has a "Gil-Area" with some more designer-y stuff. (I think I've bought Samsonite Blacklabel stuff there.) Also, a few boutiques in the Quartier 21 section of the Museumsquartier, such as Gegenalltag, offer local designers. Mostly graphic tees and stuff like that. There's a great record store in that complex, too.

If you haven't been in a while, Kunsthistortisches is pretty good, but the two museums in the Museumsquartier (MUMOK and Leopold) have much more flair. At least, if like me you're someone whose eyes glaze over after the five thousand three hundred eighty-sixth portrait of some old European with pasty skin and bad teeth. If art from the fin de siecle up isn't your bag then never mind. Also, there's a great lunch place in the MQ, and a performance space that often has cool modern dance performances.

5. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Austrian Yellow Pages online, if you know what you're looking for:

http://www.herold.at/

I never shopped for men's fashion in Vienna. The only item I ever bought, in the dead of winter, was a grey cashmere coat, unusual (very 1930's), in a women's boutique behind St Stephen's cathedral.

6. cluster2600

cluster2600 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I found this little hat maker in Vienna, on Mariahilferstrasse.
    His hats looks very high quality, the price must he high but i really want to try to make him do a hat for me.

He is closed on Saturday.

www.szaszi.com

7. sloane

sloane Member

If you get a chance, check out custom shoe maker Maftei. I recently sent a few emails to them, inquiring about a pair of full brogues, but I never received a response. [​IMG]

Lucian Maftei
    Postgasse 11
    A-1010 Wien

Alexandru Maftei
    Kuhnplatz 6
    A-1040 Wien

http://www.maftei.at/

8. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Flusser recommends a glove shop called Christl, but next door to it is a fascinating shop selling gorgeous antique cufflinks (at very high prices, unfortunately).

Knize seemed tomblike. There was nice stuff in it but the merchandise didn't appear to live up to the setting. Good cashmere selection though.

9. blauiman

blauiman Active Member

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

If you get a chance, check out custom shoe maker Maftei. I recently sent a few emails to them, inquiring about a pair of full brogues, but I never received a response. [​IMG]

thats a pity.[​IMG]

the.chikors experience worked well, though he came to vienna.

11. Cornellian

Cornellian Senior member

There are several bespoke shoemakers to check out: Balint, Scheer, Maftei, and Materna (there are others, just do a search on the boards). Scheer and Materna probably have the most eye-candy to look at. Materna is always busy when I go by, FYI. Ludwig Reiter is interesting... I wouldn't go for the shoes (they are nice, but nothing exceptional), although they seem to do a lot of interesting bespoke work (belts, wallets, computer cases).

Wilhelm Jungmann and Neffe is an interesting store as well. Tons of cloth, but more practically, ascots, ties, and bows.

KartnerStrasse is the main shopping drag in the city, which leads you to St. Stephen's Cathedral. Knize is nearby. I have yet to understand the fascination with Knize on this board. I have gone several times waiting to be swept away, but it's just never happened. Perhaps there is a hidden door I'm missing...

Venturini is a good place for shirts (I use them). They are a bespoke maker but also sell RTW shirts. www.venturini.at

If you're looking for good thai, http://www.thollthai.com The restaurant isn't much to look at, but the food is quite good.

12. cluster2600

Flusser recommends a glove shop called Christl, but next door to it is a fascinating shop selling gorgeous antique cufflinks (at very high prices, unfortunately).

Knize seemed tomblike. There was nice stuff in it but the merchandise didn't appear to live up to the setting. Good cashmere selection though.

Hello,

Do you have an address for those 2 shops ?

13. Cornellian

Cornellian Senior member

14. Max Inseam

Max Inseam Well-Known Member

Last year, there was a good sale on Vass shoes at Schuhmann, http://www.schuhmann.co.at. Interesting leather goods there, as well.

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

If you're looking for good thai, http://www.thollthai.com The restaurant isn't much to look at, but the food is quite good.

I have to check out the restaurant soon.

There is a very good shoemaker in the Florianigasse.

Karl Weiner
    Florianigasse 1
    1080 Wien
    001 43 1 406 69 50

16. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

You're going to have a great time! I've been to Vienna quite a bit, and there's a lot of decent places to shop. Hours are tight and the exchange rate sucks, but I always find quality gear there. Here's what I would recommend:

Park (Mondscheingasse 20, 5th District)
    www.park.co.at
    tel. +43 (0)1 5264414
    A two-level concept store with lots of designer merchandise (Martin Margiela, Raf Simons) and a good collection of classics (Barbour, Fred Perry).

Chegini
    1., Plankengasse 4
    In the first district and a bit hard to find. Great selection of Dior, Dolce, Rick Owens, and some other high-end stuff.

Kärntner Strasse, Graben and Kohlmarkt
    These three streets are like the 5th Avenue of Vienna. All the Gucci's, Prada's, Louis Vuitton's, and the like are here. There are also some excellent boutiques for shoes and leather goods.

Naschmarkt
    This is a flea market on the weekends. I believe that it starts at 8AM on Saturday and Sunday. Most of it is crap, but every now and then you'll find an amazing vintage watch or mid-century lamp. It's worth checking out, and is an experience onto itself.

Leica Shop
    http://www.leicashop.com/
    Westbahnstrasse 40, 7th District
    Not sure if you're into cameras, but this is one of the best shops in the world. They've got an unbelievably large selection of classic and rare equipment.

Have fun!

17. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Naschmarkt This is a flea market on the weekends. I believe that it starts at 8AM on Saturday and Sunday. Most of it is crap, but every now and then you'll find an amazing vintage watch or mid-century lamp. It's worth checking out, and is an experience onto itself.
    It starts at 6.30AM and earlier. It takes place only on Saturday. A experience you shouldn't miss. After bargain hunting and thrifting you can have excellent food from all over the world. Don't miss the Gulasch in "Zum eisernen Mann" or fish at "Umar's"... In the City you have a nice flea market "Am Hof"(Antiques). March - December, Friday and Saturday 10AM - 8PM

18. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

19. cluster2600

Saturday morning in Vienna I came accross this little shop which makes MTM shirts. Starting price 120E http://www.zumjockeyclub.at/ Enjoy. M.

20. Knabe

Knabe Member

Saturday morning in Vienna I came accross this little shop which makes MTM shirts.

Starting price 120E

http://www.zumjockeyclub.at/

Enjoy.
    M.

I can certainly recommend Zum Jockey Club (Tegetthoffstrasse in the first district), Schuhmann (Palais Ferstl, Herrengasse / Freyung in the first district), and the like.
    You can buy PRL, Barbour, Burberry etc in "Steffl" on Kärntner Straße (first district).