1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Where to Shop in Vienna?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Siggy, May 26, 2006.

1. cluster2600

cluster2600 Well-Known Member

I can certainly recommend Zum Jockey Club (Tegetthoffstrasse in the first district), Schuhmann (Palais Ferstl, Herrengasse / Freyung in the first district), and the like.
    You can buy PRL, Barbour, Burberry etc in "Steffl" on Kärntner Straße (first district).

could you please detail your addresses? give some web links or street addresses? thx. M.

2. John Ellis

John Ellis Senior member

Being a totally convinced Austrophile I love Vienna. I always go to Knize and it is a bit mausoleum like but hell you could say that about the whole city. This great imperial metropolis with the Hofburg, Ring and magnificent public buildings now presiding over a country with about ten million people. It's slight melancholy is part of its charm. I can never remember the names of all the menswear stores I visit and there are plenty on the Kartnerstrasse and in the Graben. Someone above mentioned cufflinks and he's right they have fanastic (and fantasically expensive ones) in the art deco style. I bought a pair from there years ago, very nice. Of course one of the best movies ever made was filmed there. The Third Man. A final comment about Austrian sartorialism. Before the first world war their army had the best looking uniforms. In fact a lot of military wear that's still around has its origins in the Austro Hungarian military. For those interested in such stuff visit the military museum at the Arsenal, it's the second best in the world after the Invalides in Paris.

3. Knabe

Knabe Member

could you please detail your addresses?
    give some web links or street addresses?

thx.

M.

Zum Jockey Club: http://www.zumjockeyclub.at/ (shirts..)
    Schuhmann: http://www.schuhmann.co.at/ (shoes)
    Steffl (Barbour, Burberry, PRL, ...): STEFFL, Kärntner Straße 19, 1010 Vienna

Another good thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is:

Modeatelier POLLSIRI
    http://www.pollsiri.at/1a.htm
    One bespoke shirt costs 118 EUR.

and
    WILHELM JUNGMANN & NEFFE
    http://www.feinestoffe.at/

4. Zeev Wolf

Zeev Wolf Member

Hello, all you gentlemen who love Vienna,
    For anyone interested in perfect bespoke hats, you MUST look up Szasz-hats at Mariahilferstrasse 4-6.
    To see this workshop that´s more like a museum of imperial workmanship, with all th old steam-presses and wooden and iron forms, (They are being used!) is an experience in itself.
    But the handmade hats are of an unheard-of perfection that I could not find anywhere else. Expensive - but worth every cent!!

5. cluster2600

I think we all forgot about Knize.
    Maybe the best address in Vienna.
    MTM and RTW clothes, shoes and all kind of accessories.
    www.knize.at

6. Hostage

Hostage Member

By the way, do they sell cashmere hat and gloves over there? [​IMG]

Near Vienna there is some shopping centre called Parndorf, anybody heard about that place?

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Near Vienna there is some shopping centre called Parndorf, anybody heard about that place?

http://www.mcarthurglen.at/

8. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

By the way, do they sell cashmere hat and gloves over there? [​IMG]
    Yes... I got my cashmere hat at Knize when I realized my ears were about to freeze off...

Vienna is my favorite city. I wish I could live there. Then I would be a MannBaerSchwein...

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

One imagines there are monocle places in Vienna.

10. Siggy

Siggy Senior member

Yes... I got my cashmere hat at Knize when I realized my ears were about to freeze off...

Vienna is my favorite city. I wish I could live there. Then I would be a MannBaerSchwein...

Vienna is a very livable city. As much as I like Paris, I prefer Vienna overall.

11. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

As much as I like Paris, I prefer Vienna overall.

+1

12. cluster2600

OK so i found 2 or 3 interesting shops this week-end: Scheer an expensive shoe maker 3000 euros a pair. But the shoes are exeptionnal. www.scheer.at Schuhmann a shoe shop where the offer Crockett & Jones and other interesting brands. www.schuhmann.co.at Elfie Riedl a shoe maker which makes a try shoe in plastic first shoes takes 3 months and cost 800 euros. www.elfie-riedl.at Netousek a tailor which makes suits for a 1000 euros and the shop looks good plus they speak English. www.netousek.at Colli a shirt shop with very good quality shirts starting at 79 euros. www.colli.at enjoy!!

13. Degendorff

Degendorff Senior member

Are you sure that the bespoke suits at Netousek starts at 1000 €? I thought that they start at 2000 € + cloth or something like that.

14. cluster2600

Are you sure that the bespoke suits at Netousek starts at 1000 €? I thought that they start at 2000 € + cloth or something like that.
    they have a sign on their shop saying that sako is 1000 and something so i am not sure. I will ask next time.

15. Degendorff

Degendorff Senior member

Sakko means "jacket", not suit - and they offer mtm, too.

16. cluster2600

Sakko means "jacket", not suit - and they offer mtm, too.
    German language is not my cup of tea its true...

17. samurai

samurai Senior member

When I lived in Vienna eons ago Knize was exclusively a tailor for custom made suits etc. Mr. Knize divided his time between there and his New York emporium.

OT, but I had many great meals at the Gosser Keller a block from the opera house. Baked carp in a crisp crust with potato salad and wein-kraut. Anybody know if it's still there?

Also Demel's for afternoon coffee and pastry...

18. Sebastian_Flyte

Sebastian_Flyte Senior member

anyone know any more Streetwear and Denim-style stores in Vienna?

19. faketrain

faketrain Senior member

I will Vienna, as well as Bratislava (Slovakia) in March. Can anyone else add to the recommendations already posted above?

Also, at the risk of sounding repetitive, I take it there are no places in Vienna that you can purchase St Crispin's?

20. Mariooo

Mariooo Senior member

anyone know any more Streetwear and Denim-style stores in Vienna?
    RAG www.rag.co.at Frontline www.frontline.at both have shops on the Mariahilferstrasse