• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I find "vintage suits"?

Monteprinz

Reaction score
Hello, I’m a complete newbie recargind classic lenswear so that question might sound stupid.

I was wondering if there were retailers that were selling “vintage” suits? By vintage I mean suits resembling those from the 60s and 80s, i.e. straight cut (unlike the modern jacket that I find too fitted and close to the body), fairly wide shoulders, and fairly loose pants. I was thinking of thrift stores but I was wondering if any retailers offered such cuts. Otherwise there is always the tailor option but that would cost me more.
Here are some examples of what I mean:
D0C7AB18-9020-4C71-991B-21C837ADCE17.jpeg
BB9377FD-9BF2-49EF-B82B-40F5C25790FF.jpeg
B9AEAA88-956E-4230-945B-BC83229D8038.jpeg

Thank you.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Brooks Bros Madison and Regent fits depending on your measurements, O'Connell's, J. Press, older stuff in good condition from thrift stores or eBay (can find Oxxford and other good stuff here if you are patient), and so on.

Monteprinz

Reaction score
Brooks Bros Madison and Regent fits depending on your measurements, O'Connell's, J. Press, older stuff in good condition from thrift stores or eBay (can find Oxxford and other good stuff here if you are patient), and so on.
Thanks! After looking it up I think eBay might be my best friend.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! After looking it up I think eBay might be my best friend.

Almost certainly. That, or vintage stores if you happen to live in a big city.

It's worth pointing out that Alain Delon is wearing something more 'continental' here, not a true sack cut. The jacket still has darts and a slightly suppressed waist, and the trousers are tapered to around 8 inches at the bottom, which is the most flattering size for his height (both he and I - in his younger years - share the same measurements and height, so I know the proportions well).

D0C7AB18-9020-4C71-991B-21C837ADCE17.jpeg

The narrower lapels help accentuate the shoulder width, although you want to avoid anything too extreme from this era.

Monteprinz

Reaction score
Almost certainly. That, or vintage stores if you happen to live in a big city.

It's worth pointing out that Alain Delon is wearing something more 'continental' here, not a true sack cut. The jacket still has darts and a slightly suppressed waist, and the trousers are tapered to around 8 inches at the bottom, which is the most flattering size for his height (both he and I - in his younger years - share the same measurements and height, so I know the proportions well).

View attachment 1621848

The narrower lapels help accentuate the shoulder width, although you want to avoid anything too extreme from this era.
thanks for the infromative reply!
I live in Paris but couldn’t find any vintage stores. I will try some thrift shops and then enay if I can’t find anything.
I have similar measurements too and after watching Purple Noon I couldn’t help but fall in love with this era’s style, and particularly the way the suits were cut back then.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the infromative reply!
I live in Paris but couldn’t find any vintage stores. I will try some thrift shops and then enay if I can’t find anything.
I have similar measurements too and after watching Purple Noon I couldn’t help but fall in love with this era’s style, and particularly the way the suits were cut back then.

There should be quite a few vintage options in Paris, though men's clothing can be sparse and much smaller selections compared to women's. You have to drop by a few and see what they have. Some resources:

Sidenote: I always found Alain much more sophisticated a dresser than many other actors from this era, but maybe that's just the French side talking. Here's another picture where you can see a bit more about the fit of these suits without the arms in the way:

997b91c88a54ca74d0358924790b89ac.jpg

As you can see: light suppression, no excess length, strong shoulders with some padding, and only a slight roping at the shoulder seam.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I live in Paris but couldn’t find any vintage stores.

I always found Le Marais very good for vintage clothes shops, and a quick Google search suggests there may be several new stores since I was last there a few years back. A nice neighbourhood for an aimless wander, too.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice to see Delon get some props here on CM. I think he is undervalued as a style icon. He certainly provided one of the great, and great late, portrayals of both trench coats, and of fedoras, all in one movie: Le Samourai in 1967.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to see Delon get some props here on CM. I think he is undervalued as a style icon. He certainly provided one of the great, and great late, portrayals of both trench coats, and of fedoras, all in one movie: Le Samourai in 1967.

Additionally, and unlike some other icons of the time, he was just as well-dressed and tasteful in his private life. Very simple style, but worn with a lot of flair and French nonchalance.

Some other examples:

120b6d2dac0926448208a917993b8c11--beautiful-men-beautiful-people.jpg
tumblr_m0ryjnbZLt1qa6heqo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_m40vccEG4q1qa6heqo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_m2qfctt3bo1qa6heqo1_1280.jpg

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Additionally, and unlike some other icons of the time, he was just as well-dressed and tasteful in his private life. Very simple style, but worn with a lot of flair and French nonchalance.

Some other examples:

View attachment 1621956
View attachment 1621962
View attachment 1621963
View attachment 1621964
On a good day, he could stand up as a Gallic equivalent to Cary Grant. The difference in their stylistic impact is, in part, due to a couple of reasons IMO:
-Grant's career spanned much of the Golden Era of men's fashion. Delon's early wardrobe, on and off screen, was fantastic. Some of the styles of the 70's and 80's have not aged as well.
-Grant just worked much harder at his image. As he said: "Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. Hell, I'd like to be Cary Grant".

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a good day, he could stand up as a Gallic equivalent to Cary Grant. The difference in their stylistic impact is, in part, due to a couple of reasons IMO:
-Grant's career spanned much of the Golden Era of men's fashion. Delon's early wardrobe, on and off screen, was fantastic. Some of the styles of the 70's and 80's have not aged as well.
-Grant just worked much harder at his image. As he said: "Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. Hell, I'd like to be Cary Grant".

Added to that, Alain refused to learn English during his younger years, which meant that he could only star in French films.

The thing I like about Alain's approach is that he really wore things well. He had his own attitude, and just didn't fuss about things as much - but still looked sharp, not like this 'spazzatutu' stuff today. I think that first photo with the cigarette is the perfect example of this. Just wearing tailoring like you live in it, not being precious, and sticking to one's own style. (note the reversed watch and button-collar; he almost always wore French tailoring too, it seems)

Cary Grant is very different. He was impeccable and cultivated that image constantly. And, as you said, his career spanned some of the best times for men's fashion, so he always looked classic and avoided the badly-aging trends easily.

Last edited:

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Added to that, Alain refused to learn English during his younger years, which meant that he could only star in French films.

The thing I like about Alain's approach is that he really wore things well. He had his own attitude, and just didn't fuss about things as much - but still looked sharp, not like this 'spazzatutu' stuff today. I think that first photo with the cigarette is the perfect example of this. Just wearing tailoring like you live in it, not being precious, and sticking to one's own style. (note the reversed watch and button-collar; he almost always wore French tailoring too, it seems)

Cary Grant is very different. He was impeccable and cultivated that image constantly. And, as you said, his career spanned some of the best times for men's fashion, so he always looked classic and avoided the badly-aging trends easily.
Agree on both men’s’ style. As I think about it, I was implicitly shading Delon in my first post by noting how hard Grant worked at his image. Upon reflection though, for Delon to be overtly concerned with style might have seemed narcissistic, and gilding the lily, given his extraordinary physical beauty (a word I don’t use often about men, but in this case, I think the word applies).

In contrast, Grant did have to work hard: to be seen as an American actor, to develop an American(ish) accent, and to play characters of a social class far higher than the one he was born into. He was open about the fact that he had to work to “become” Cary Grant.

He did one, great, first person article about his style about 60 years ago. Upon rereading, it could serve as a mission statement for many on the CM side of SF today.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree on both men’s’ style. As I think about it, I was implicitly shading Delon in my first post by noting how hard Grant worked at his image. Upon reflection though, for Delon to be overtly concerned with style might have seemed narcissistic, and gilding the lily, given his extraordinary physical beauty (a word I don’t use often about men, but in this case, I think the word applies).

In contrast, Grant did have to work hard: to be seen as an American actor, to develop an American(ish) accent, and to play characters of a social class far higher than the one he was born into. He was open about the fact that he had to work to “become” Cary Grant.

He did one, great, first person article about his style about 60 years ago. Upon rereading, it could serve as a mission statement for many on the CM side of SF today.

I remember that article. There's a lot of great and pertinent advice in there, especially on the subject of coats/sports jackets and the bit about the Harvard professor.

Come to think of it, it's quite funny that I admire Alain Delon's style more than that of other actors, given that he and I share the same proportions/features. Or maybe it's natural.

That's one thing I'd suggest to the OP and others getting into vintage stuff: try picking a decade with a cut that suits their figure and height. No sense in trying to stuff yourself into a style that doesn't work for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads