• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I find those natural style belts people wear with raw deimn?

beastofsaigon

Reaction score
The thing about making your belt is that it takes a lot of time and practice to get to the same level as the guys who do it for a living. Not to mention the oils, dyes, tools, and nic-naks that are involved in just making a simple belt. But by all means try, I started making belts as a side hobby and I've slowly gotten all of the tools. Tandy has good leather but you should really go to the shop to pick your own leather first hand (only if with reason of course). Or get your leather sides from an actual tannery.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd go with this. Well made in the USA and its cheaper than the majority of other suggested places mentioned. 300$ for a belt? DAMN!!!

The counterargument, of course, is that you've already spent $300 on jeans, so why skimp on the accessories? You may as well have the best. A beautiful piece of leather, a unique buckle - these are things worth paying for. Yes, they just hold up your pants. Or you don't even need them for that. But, then just buy your suits at Jos A Banks and your shirts at TJ Maxx.

Last edited:

Guus

Reaction score

The counterargument, of course, is that you've already spent $300 on jeans, so why skimp on the accessories? You may as well have the best. A beautiful piece of leather, a unique buckle - these are things worth paying for. Yes, they just hold up your pants. Or you don't even need them for that. But, then just buy your suits at Jos A Banks and your shirts at TJ Maxx.

But 300$? Come on, that is a bit too much IMO.

derrida26

Reaction score
Of course you want the best. But I'm not convinced that there is much (or any) quality difference between 100-300$ range. Would much rather have three tanner belts.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course you want the best. But I'm not convinced that there is much (or any) quality difference between 100-300$ range. Would much rather have three tanner belts.

Tanner belts are nice for the price, but there is definitely a difference in the make and leather quality between that and a Kicking Mule belt, for example. That said, there are some very well done belts (though they are definitely basic) at the $100-$150 mark. I personally really like the Yuketen cordovan belts, and Mismo makes some great belts at $120 or so, though they are not as thick as some of the belts mentioned here. You can get a really supple belt from 45rpm for about $150.

Like all things, if utility is your only criterion, it is pretty easy to meet, and the point of diminishing returns is hit pretty fast (I'd say, at about $150-$175). It really depends on your value system. For example, I care nothing for cars. For me, a car is just a vehicle that gets me from point A to point B, safely. So a Honda Civic is just as good as a Ferrari. tbh, I cannot name a single model of Ferrari. But for leather goods... well, I love leather goods.

If you want a really good belt, get a top of the line one custom made, from Equus (an affiliate of ours, see their thread in MC. There is a link in the right hand column).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

derrida26

Reaction score
Tanner belts are nice for the price, but there is definitely a difference in the make and leather quality between that and a Kicking Mule belt, for example. That said, there are some very well done belts (though they are definitely basic) at the $100-$150 mark. I personally really like the Yuketen cordovan belts, and Mismo makes some great belts at $120 or so, though they are not as thick as some of the belts mentioned here. You can get a really supple belt from 45rpm for about $150.
Like all things, if utility is your only criterion, it is pretty easy to meet, and the point of diminishing returns is hit pretty fast (I'd say, at about $150-$175). It really depends on your value system. For example, I care nothing for cars. For me, a car is just a vehicle that gets me from point A to point B, safely. So a Honda Civic is just as good as a Ferrari. tbh, I cannot name a single model of Ferrari. But for leather goods... well, I love leather goods.
If you want a really good belt, get a top of the line one custom made, from Equus (an affiliate of ours, see their thread in MC. There is a link in the right hand column).

makes sense. I am the same with cars

jonnyt

Reaction score
I've been wearing this Strike Gold belt for a year.
I can't recommend highly enough, it has darkened up and taken a beautiful patina over time.
I think $200 isn't cheap for a belt but seeing as it will probably outlast me, the price is perfectly fair.
I struggle to think how a similar belt could be improved upon for more money.

joewood

Reaction score
I'm also interested in suggestions. Also, is it weird to wear nice croc belts with raw denim?

I wear my Dries croc belt with raws. Weird or not? It all depends your style, look and belt of course.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been wearing this Strike Gold belt for a year.
I can't recommend highly enough, it has darkened up and taken a beautiful patina over time.
I think $200 isn't cheap for a belt but seeing as it will probably outlast me, the price is perfectly fair.
I struggle to think how a similar belt could be improved upon for more money.

Well, it could be stitched instead of riveted, for one. You may argue about stylistic merits, but handstitching is more expensive, and more durable, with more distributed stress. You could also have a more distinctive, or a hand forged and hammered buckle. Or a buckle from a more precious metal. I have belts with sterling silver buckles, for example. You could have better finished edges - again, a stylistic consideration, but it's not debatable that a better edge finishing would be more labor intensive. Like I said before, if utility is your only criterion, it's easy to say what you just said. Otherwise, it's nearly impossible to make that statement.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy