• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

when on a budget, splurge on basics or interesting pieces

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try to buy the best thing you can no matter what income level is. Price isn't always a reflection of quailty.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans and leather goods are where I prefer to spend the most money/buy the highest quality. Worst-case the jeans will last a year, boots and belts/wallets for decades.

Shirts, I've splurged on a couple of Rag & Bone/other designer shirts, but I'm just as happy with Gap/J. Crew/Filson/whoever shirts (given proper fit) - I'm much more likely to ruin shirts somehow, get tired of them, whatever. And for the next seven months, I probably won't be wearing anything but light-colored t-shirts when the sun is out.

Aside from a FlatHead leather bracelet and a couple of watches, I don't really own 'accessories,' and I don't live in a climate that lets me layer or do anything like that.

JaPo

Reaction score
I'd do the latter. That's what I do, or at least try to.

Mainly because I've never been in the situation where buying boots for several hundred dollars is remotely plausible. Most every wardrobe item can be found on the cheap/second-hand, so I don't see much point in splurging anymore.

Mayne I fucken love jet. This persona of his is impressively consistent. I'm yet to see a pic where his exclusive steeze doesn't look like ass, mind. Under-class, River Island 2004 fall range ass, that is.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mix and match...get a few basic pieces, like henleys and t-shirts, but invest heavily into well-fitting jeans and shoes. I've had good luck with Gap thermal henleys that I wear all the time with japanese selvedge and RL/Bally boots+shoes

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
atm I'm wearing a jcrew tshirt and some margiela sneakers. some things there isn't a huge increase in quality along with price (tees).. somethings there are (sneaks).

Curious_George

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
So, let's say you have a reasonable budget. Do you kop Alden boots, Sugarcanes, blue/white BoO oxfords, and simple gray NDG sweaters then get all of your more fashion-y stuff at places like H&M, Zara, UO, and the Uniqlo designer collabs? Or do you throw together a cheap uniform with Uniqlo selvage jawns, J. Crew buttondowns & knits, AA tees, and then go nuts peppering your wardrobe with cool designer accesories & pieces? Just wondering...
Maybe I'm boring, but I consider Alden Boots and Sugar Canes to be interesting pieces themselves. Maybe because my interest in clothing is more in the area of artisanal goods and smaller details rather than broader, wilder designer looks. But for me Alden wing tip boots or Sugar Cane 50/50 mixed denim is as interesting or more so than say Raf hi-top sneakers or drop crotch pants from some fashion designer. With that said, I guess I spend most of my money on more classic items but ones that I feel stand out in some way beyond just looking classic (be it interesting construction, fabric, texture, etc).

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
also the other day I wore a blue BOO oxford, alden boots and sugarcane jeans. is this thread speaking to me or what!

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing worth wearing at H&M, Zara, and like stores are the basics. No point on wasting money buying expensive stuff that isn't distinguishable from everyone else's cheap stuff.

DesignerValet

Reaction score
I don't skimp on shoes, jackets, sweaters, jeans, or accessories.

Basic cotton items (like shirts, tees, hoodies) I won't spend a lot on- I either get them from chains or when heavily discounted (Steven Alan plaid shirt for $11 at the Barney's Outlet, anyone?).

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
trying to reconcile this myself.

you get more use out of lame basics, but you need a few interesting pieces.

will pay a lot for:

boots
leatherz
sweaters
suits
couple pairs of sneakers

everything else, rather get stuff on the cheap.

Originally Posted by Mauro
Try to buy the best thing you can no matter what income level is. Price isn't always a reflection of quailty.

+1

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I seldom buy anything I'm not really interested in.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pridecake
i'd rather buy a few high quality pieces that are versatile then a lot of random basics. Over time, you'll get a full wardrobe of good quality stuff while not really splurging.

Also, Mauro speaks the truth

+1
Really does add up.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends also what you mean by more interesting pieces, if you are buying dior s/s 05 runway pieces, don't even bother wasting your time or money

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads