• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is the Next Ralph Lauren Sale?

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will the black label tuxedo ever go on sale? I'm interested in getting it for my wedding, but it is outside of my budget. Should I just accept the fact that I will have to look for another tuxedo?

Be thankful you can fit into RLBL and use the price as incentive to stay in that shape!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heard from SA that they're merging BL and PL and discontinue BL and maybe rebranding RLX, guess BL gets some one time discount then price higher afterwards?

jg0517

Reaction score
Be thankful you can fit into RLBL and use the price as incentive to stay in that shape!

Hahah. I lost 40 lbs two years ago and have kept it off since then. I had to buy a whole new wardrobe, which was costly when you have to wear suits to work everyday. My incentive to keep it off is already there!
smile.gif

Heard from SA that they're merging BL and PL and discontinue BL and maybe rebranding RLX, guess BL gets some one time discount then price higher afterwards?

I heard the same thing when I went to the RL mansion on Madison Avenue. I just don't know if I can wait much longer to find out. I've tried on a bunch of different tuxes and none of them impressed me besides the RLBL. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on kent wang MTM tux. I've never gone through the MTM process and I am a little apprehensive about the whole process. My wedding is in October, but I want to give myself the time to fix things if it ends up being a disaster.

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahah. I lost 40 lbs two years ago and have kept it off since then. I had to buy a whole new wardrobe, which was costly when you have to wear suits to work everyday. My incentive to keep it off is already there!
smile.gif

I heard the same thing when I went to the RL mansion on Madison Avenue. I just don't know if I can wait much longer to find out. I've tried on a bunch of different tuxes and none of them impressed me besides the RLBL. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on kent wang MTM tux. I've never gone through the MTM process and I am a little apprehensive about the whole process. My wedding is in October, but I want to give myself the time to fix things if it ends up being a disaster.

If you're looking at MTM then give Andrew Lock (forum member with affiliate thread here) a shout. He does tuxedos, even midnight blue. Very cool to work with and an excellent fitter. His handle here is @AnGeLiCbOrIs

ElementHU

Reaction score

To me BL and PL are such different brands with very different fits and audiences, though I buy from both. I'm interested to see if some PL cuts trend slimmer and where the price point lands. The dichotomy in pricing between PRL and PL is a pretty big gap today.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am guessing more RLPL custom fit and the new RLBL to bridge the price gap between PRL and RLPL?

vida

Reaction score
I was told by an SA that the "merger" will be renamed Ralph Lauren. The black label silhouette will remain the same but the base fabric will increase from $1,800 to $2,000. So I'm assuming that there will be Polo and the luxurie Ralph Lauren lines. He also suggested that there will be two price levels in tailored clothing which will allow the company to keep the black label customer from a price position.
Black Label will continue into the fall and then merge in the spring of '16...at least this is what has been suggested to me.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was told by an SA that the "merger" will be renamed Ralph Lauren. The black label silhouette will remain the same but the base fabric will increase from $1,800 to $2,000. So I'm assuming that there will be Polo and the luxurie Ralph Lauren lines. He also suggested that there will be two price levels in tailored clothing which will allow the company to keep the black label customer from a price position.
Black Label will continue into the fall and then merge in the spring of '16...at least this is what has been suggested to me.

in any case that means there has to be some seasonal sale to completely get rid off RLBL labelled tailor clothe, time to buy :p

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this a couple days ago in the RRL thread.

I had texted my RL guy and received no answer. Called the store and got the line disconnected msg. Then I heard from him and he related this.

My former RL guy just called and said that Corporate decided to revamp the retail business into POLO and RL. RL will carry Black and Purple label and POLO the rest. He didn't know about RRL, but I expect they'll remain separate as they are now.
Anyway, the store closed in March, the employees were given severance packages and it was adios, muchachos. The store designer said that the store was too big for the sales volume (they had home, women's and kid's sections, so it was fairly large). It's going to reopen as a POLO store, so it'll be about like Macy's I guess. (Ed. I'm guessing from the conversation here that they'll be revamping the POLO line.)
He also said that the POLO's will be geared toward transactional exchange v. customer relationships. No doubt RL will continue with the relationship model.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hahah. I lost 40 lbs two years ago and have kept it off since then. I had to buy a whole new wardrobe, which was costly when you have to wear suits to work everyday. My incentive to keep it off is already there! :)

It's unlikely it will, unless it's a seasonal variety. For example, a few years ago they did a double breasted, which eventually went on sale. And I got a midnight peak lapel one at Neiman's last summer on sale. The only one that may get cleared out eventually (and I have no idea; you'd have to contact the store) is the blue shawl lapel version I saw this season. It's bluer than the midnight one I have, but has midnight facings. Not sure if it's supposed to be a new staple or considered seasonal since it was never sold on RL's website (Barney's has it online and it's still full price FWIW).

It might be worth checking out eHaberdasher's Benjamin line. I find the fit is reasonably similar, but it doesn't have the same strong shoulder as RL.

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this a couple days ago in the RRL thread.

I had texted my RL guy and received no answer. Called the store and got the line disconnected msg. Then I heard from him and he related this.

My former RL guy just called and said that Corporate decided to revamp the retail business into POLO and RL. RL will carry Black and Purple label and POLO the rest. He didn't know about RRL, but I expect they'll remain separate as they are now.
Anyway, the store closed in March, the employees were given severance packages and it was adios, muchachos. The store designer said that the store was too big for the sales volume (they had home, women's and kid's sections, so it was fairly large). It's going to reopen as a POLO store, so it'll be about like Macy's I guess. (Ed. I'm guessing from the conversation here that they'll be revamping the POLO line.)
He also said that the POLO's will be geared toward transactional exchange v. customer relationships. No doubt RL will continue with the relationship model.

I was at the RL store at Lenox Square in Atlanta and the SA I spoke with said that even that store is going to be ditching Black and becoming a Polo store. Now mind you, Lenox Square is a definitive upscale mall: the Neiman Marcus three doors down has substantial dedicated areas for Kiton, Tom Ford, Brioni, Isaia, Cucinelli and Zegna (E, not Z). The SA said (in a moment of candor) that customers treated the BL/PL sections as "museums" and it became tiresome to show stuff that the cx had no intention of buying.

I almost bought a brown BL cashmere cardigan at 40% off ($359), but I'm looking for a looser-fitting "throw it on as I'm walking out the door" piece and even on pathetically twiggy arms it required too much effort to don. Saks had a fuller-cut linen/cashmere cardigan in navy but at full price ($295); if this one hits the sale rack when I'm at the Mansion in two weeks it's mine.

I've never really understood why PRL itself was such a massive umbrella, going from TJ Maxx horsey-emblazoned polo shirts and OCBDs to really nice US- and Italy-made tailored pieces (coughcough Preston trousers coughcough). Perhaps with this upcoming split all the horse-slathered Third World **** will be positioned opposite 346 and Jos. A. Bank and the good stuff from the PRL line will be rebranded BL/PL and compete with Paul Stuart and the correspondingly-priced Italian houses (Canali/Corneliani/Zegna).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads