• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not so fast--it looks like it works on the Edward Green shoes already in the sale section.

stimulacra

Reaction score
So… life is slowly taking it's toll on my collection of Brooks Brothers classic OCBD shirts (coffee, ink stains and gradual sleeve shrinkage are starting the thin out the work rotation). It's been two years since I had an opportunity to replenish them and the new Supima OCBD shirts (sans pocket and $140 price point) I had hoped was just a seasonal dalliance but it appears not.

For me $140 is a bit dear for what I consider a day-to-day workhorse (granted its as comfy as a t-shirt) and for roughly the same price I can get a custom OCBD made with flap pockets if I'm lucky enough to notice a trunk sale at the local store.

The occasional sale does take it down closer to $90/shirt but that's a far cry from the $40-50/shirt just a few years back (Typically I would buy 3-4 shirts every year or so to replace whatever was getting too tattered to wear at work)

How are other OCBD fans on SF been coping with the change? I've been wearing more of BB's non-iron dress shirts but they don't feel like as comfy as their OCBD and I find them to be a lot less breathable in Houston weather. Also I'm wearing more casual collared shirts during the work week but it eats up time in the morning figuring out what to wear, and with what, and if I have a meeting at work or not.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So… life is slowly taking it's toll on my collection of Brooks Brothers classic OCBD shirts (coffee, ink stains and gradual sleeve shrinkage are starting the thin out the work rotation). It's been two years since I had an opportunity to replenish them and the new Supima OCBD shirts (sans pocket and $140 price point) I had hoped was just a seasonal dalliance but it appears not.

For me $140 is a bit dear for what I consider a day-to-day workhorse (granted its as comfy as a t-shirt) and for roughly the same price I can get a custom OCBD made with flap pockets if I'm lucky enough to notice a trunk sale at the local store.

The occasional sale does take it down closer to $90/shirt but that's a far cry from the $40-50/shirt just a few years back (Typically I would buy 3-4 shirts every year or so to replace whatever was getting too tattered to wear at work)

How are other OCBD fans on SF been coping with the change? I've been wearing more of BB's non-iron dress shirts but they don't feel like as comfy as their OCBD and I find them to be a lot less breathable in Houston weather. Also I'm wearing more casual collared shirts during the work week but it eats up time in the morning figuring out what to wear, and with what, and if I have a meeting at work or not.

You should try Kamakura or Luxire. I just got two OCBDs from Luxire in a pink pinpoint and a university stripe.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/304965/...icial-affiliate-thread/25200_100#post_8796413

Infinitely customizable, but in the $80 - $100 range.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Propercloth is another good option—their regular heavyweight oxford fabrics are $85 and are a good value, though they have more expensive options too. Their Soft Ivy Button-down is an awesome soft collar roll. They have a $15 shipping/handling fee, so the real price is $100 for just one, but obviously goes down per shirt if you order more than one shirt. And if you spend more than $200 that's waived (so if you're the type who can afford to buy 3 shirts all at once you'd be only paying $85 per shirt). And of course you get perfect fit once you've dialed it in (their policy is your first shirt is a trial shirt, essentially, so you can get the fit exactly like you want).

Their make quality is good, the only thing less good in my experience is their standard buttons, which are plastic and do not compare favorably to BB's. Their MOP button option is $10 extra per shirt, so you'd be looking at $95 (though if you're already doing $10 extra, I'd chip in another $5 for tall MOP to get that luxurious feeling). But maybe that doesn't matter to you.

Here are two images of the one I have, which I made as a popover: with tie, and without tie.

For comparison, I also used to own a Kamakura regular-fit OCBD (the collars are different in regular fit than they are in slim fit). Here's what it looks like.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Propercloth is another good option—their regular heavyweight oxford fabrics are $85 and are a good value, though they have more expensive options too. Their Soft Ivy Button-down is an awesome soft collar roll. They have a $15 shipping/handling fee, so the real price is $100 for just one, but obviously goes down per shirt if you order more than one shirt. And if you spend more than $200 that's waived (so if you're the type who can afford to buy 3 shirts all at once you'd be only paying $85 per shirt). And of course you get perfect fit once you've dialed it in (their policy is your first shirt is a trial shirt, essentially, so you can get the fit exactly like you want).

Their make quality is good, the only thing less good in my experience is their standard buttons, which are plastic and do not compare favorably to BB's. Their MOP button option is $10 extra per shirt, so you'd be looking at $95 (though if you're already doing $10 extra, I'd chip in another $5 for tall MOP to get that luxurious feeling). But maybe that doesn't matter to you.

Here are two images of the one I have, which I made as a popover: with tie, and without tie.

For comparison, I also used to own a Kamakura regular-fit OCBD (the collars are different in regular fit than they are in slim fit). Here's what it looks like.

Just for comparison's sake, with Luxire, the tall buttons are the default at no extra cost.

Jackboot

Reaction score

The occasional sale does take it down closer to $90/shirt but that's a far cry from the $40-50/shirt just a few years back (Typically I would buy 3-4 shirts every year or so to replace whatever was getting too tattered to wear at work).

I also miss the days of $40ish USA OCBDs from BB.

Ratio Clothing shirts are actually made at Brooks Brothers' own factory in Garland, NC. The OCBDs cost around $100. I've only ordered one shirt, but was very pleased with the experience. I would far rather buy from Ratio and have a perfectly customized shirt with many more fabric options compared to BB's "new" OCBD for the same price (if on sale).

Also, for the extra picky, Ratio offers more customizations than are listed on the website. A blog post on some of this is available here:

http://www.ivy-style.com/millennial-fogey-a-golden-ratio.html

My guess is that Ratio can offer anything you see in any Brooks Brothers USA shirt: back collar button, tall MOP buttons (they do offer regular MOP on the website), locker loop, etc. Maybe even the curved front shirt tail found on the Black Fleece shirts (not sure what that feature is called - anybody know?)

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With my change in job and no more traveling I made the switch over from non-iron BB to bespoke Hamilton shirts. Obviously the price point is much higher but the Hamilton shirts fit and feel much better and I'm supporting a local Houston business. I still have my collection of non-irons that get worn on occasion but I'm slowly replacing them with Hamilton.

Essential

Reaction score
I've been a huge fan of BB shirts but the prices are just too hard to stomach now.

I'm visiting Japan next month so I'm excited to pick up some Kamakura shirts. I heard they sell them at ~$50 which makes it an incredible deal. Hopefully I'll be able to try the various fits in store (especially the new Manhattan model!). I have a feeling I will be coming back with a suitcase full of shirts.

I bought a shirt from Proper Cloth when BB prices started to rise but I don't really like it. I got the Bowery White Pinpoint and after a few washes, the fabric feels like it is pilling. I got the spread collar but it felt a little floppy near the point even with the metal collar stays. Even though the shirt didn't fit perfectly, I didn't bother going back to get it fixed because the fabric/look didn't feel right. I know a lot of people recommend it but maybe BB shirts have ruined my perception.

Spex

Reaction score
I've been a huge fan of BB shirts but the prices are just too hard to stomach now.

I'm visiting Japan next month so I'm excited to pick up some Kamakura shirts. I heard they sell them at ~$50 which makes it an incredible deal. Hopefully I'll be able to try the various fits in store (especially the new Manhattan model!). I have a feeling I will be coming back with a suitcase full of shirts.

I bought a shirt from Proper Cloth when BB prices started to rise but I don't really like it. I got the Bowery White Pinpoint and after a few washes, the fabric feels like it is pilling. I got the spread collar but it felt a little floppy near the point even with the metal collar stays. Even though the shirt didn't fit perfectly, I didn't bother going back to get it fixed because the fabric/look didn't feel right. I know a lot of people recommend it but maybe BB shirts have ruined my perception.

What size are you? Just a heads up that for anyone that needs a Kamakura NY size, those are only sold at the Haneda Airport location, and in a very small selection.

Essential

Reaction score
Quote:
What size are you? Just a heads up that for anyone that needs a Kamakura NY size, those are only sold at the Haneda Airport location, and in a very small selection.

I'm on the small side (5' 6" 140lbs) who used to wear Milano/ESF in BB so I'll be trying out the Tokyo fit first.

Do you know which store in Tokyo has the most variety? I know there are a few but I was planning to go to the one near Ginza out of convenience.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leanbiomeuk