• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You wanna stay away from deodorant that contains aluminum. I recommend Tom's (available at Target). Haven't had a problem with pit stains since.

I work in the inland empire and it gets super hot there. I usually wear a light v-neck undershirt, as lighter color shirts can be see through and if you're not wearing a jacket, it might be something to consider … BB's undershirts are good. When it's hot, I'll wear a BB linen button down or the Brookscool OCBD.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

The problem with Tom's is it doesn't work well for some people. I've been using Kiehl's, which has aluminum, but is a cream so you can use a small amount. Every third or fourth wash, I'll make a paste with oxyclean and scrub the pits and the collar with a soft bristled brush. If you can allow them to soak a bit afterwards, even better. Removes 95% of the stains. This is coming from someone who does not wear undershirts.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You wanna stay away from deodorant that contains aluminum. I recommend Tom's (available at Target). Haven't had a problem with pit stains since.

I work in the inland empire and it gets super hot there. I usually wear a light v-neck undershirt, as lighter color shirts can be see through and if you're not wearing a jacket, it might be something to consider … BB's undershirts are good. When it's hot, I'll wear a BB linen button down or the Brookscool OCBD.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

I use Toms as well

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with Tom's is it doesn't work well for some people.

Tom's is readily available but simply didn't work for me unless I applied it several times throughout the day, which is crazy. Have great results with Silver Shield (all natural, aluminum free), which you can find on Amazon: http://goo.gl/4YYuo Looks expensive, but the roll on lasts a long time and the refills are very affordable.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with Tom's is it doesn't work well for some people. I've been using Kiehl's, which has aluminum, but is a cream so you can use a small amount. Every third or fourth wash, I'll make a paste with oxyclean and scrub the pits and the collar with a soft bristled brush. If you can allow them to soak a bit afterwards, even better. Removes 95% of the stains. This is coming from someone who does not wear undershirts.

I wear v-neck t-shirts underneath my dress shirts to avoid the huge, yellow pit stains the guy in the office next door has on his dress shirts. I need to tell him to stop leaning back in his chair with his hands behind his head and his Kenneth Cole square toe shoes on the desk.

Fabian43

Reaction score

Quote:
Tom's is readily available but simply didn't work for me unless I applied it throughout the day, which is crazy. Had great results with Silver Shield (all natural, aluminum free), which you can find on Amazon: http://goo.gl/4YYuo Looks expensive, but the roll on lasts a long time and the refills are very affordable.
Looks good, I'll have to give it a try. Has this eliminated the pit stain problem?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Need your guys advice: I'm a pharmaceutical rep and am in need of new work clothes. I wear slacks and a tie everyday, suits need not apply. Last year I went cheap and bought Van Heuesen but after only a year the shirts and pants are done. This time I'm not gonna buy cheap and instead getting BB. I have 2 questions:
1) hopefully you can see in the pic but my shirts have developed bad deodorant stains, don't want this to happen on BB shirts so do I need to change my brand of deodorant( which is a solid) or instead wear an under t-shirt? Currently I don't wear an undershirt cause its hot here in SoCal.
2) these Van Heuesen are non-iron shirts but i still iron them, should I get BB non-iron or the supima cotton and just iron them? I don't mind ironing but have read the supima is difficult to iron.

Please advise guys. I'm about to drop quite a bit of money so I don't wanna make the wrong decision.

Yes, the deodorant/anti-perspirant is the problem. If you wear an undershirt it'll just stain the undershirt. If you do decide to wear an undershirt, I would recommend a v-neck rather than crew.The non-iron are fine and unless you want them really pressed you can usually get away with not ironing them if you put them on a hanger right after they come out of the dryer.

I don't use Tom's or Kiehl's, but I use Naturally Fresh, which is similar to Crystal that patrick_Booth has recommended to me in the past. Sometimes I don't think it works, but it has solve the yellow staining problem with my undershirts.

I wear v-neck t-shirts underneath my dress shirts to avoid the huge, yellow pit stains the guy in the office next door has on his dress shirts.

+1

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

received the JW Hulme document briefcase (which is no longer on the bb website for some reason)
undecided whether i will keep
retail $890, purchased for $625 after discount (but plus CA sales tax :fu: )
think i might go for a cheaper option like the saddleback thin briefcase

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the leather feels very supple
detailing is good
i like that it has a quick release latch thing under the buckled straps so i don't have to unbuckle that thing everytime
the whole thing is surprisingly light ... not sure if that means it isn't as durable in the long run

the saddleback thin briefcase doesn't have the quick release latch + it weighs 6lbs ... but it receives tons of praise on the quality and construction
the JW hulme document briefcase is a little long (17.5")
so i'm having a dilemma

i just found that allen edmonds sells the same JW Hulme stuff
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...001_-1_1_image_0_N_198_198_130309_subcategory
perhaps AE stores have them in stock? would be useful to check it out in person

Shiny

Reaction score
Does anyone know who is the maker of these BB Pennys:

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: Just bought a new navy suit in 36S… looks like Rue La La has a lot more to offer as well.

via Put This On
http://putthison.com/post/52313473385/its-on-sale-brooks-brothers-navy-suit-rue-la-la

It’s On Sale: Brooks Brothers Navy Suit
Rue La La is having a sale on a bunch of Brooks Brothers stock. Included is a Brooks Brothers navy suit, which you see above. It’s not labeled as such in the description, but I’m pretty sure this is part of the Golden Fleece line - their premium line - which is usually made with more handwork and higher-end materials. It’s also made with a full canvas, which you can see labeled in one of the close up photos of the jacket’s interior. The retail on these is $1,900, but available on Rue La La for $499.

The cut here is the Fitzgerald, which is the slimmer of their two traditional models (the other being the Madison). I tried on the Fitzgerald about six years ago, and thought it was a pretty nice fit without being skinny. You may want to stop by a local Brooks Brothers to try one on if you’d like to be sure. Rue La La also accepts returns.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PSA:  Just bought a new navy suit in 36S… looks like Rue La La has a lot more to offer as well.

via Put This On

Those are defective suits that BB unloaded to Marshalls / TJ Maxx etc. They were $250-500ish a few months ago

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
questionsgems