• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When do you wear suits?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainly during sex. It gives me that James Bond feel.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I where a suit whenever the occasion calls for a tie.  I own sport coats but haven’t worn one for a few years.  Age is part of the equation, for me at least.  I’m 62.

Cheers,

Ac

I thought sport coats were supposed to be more of an "old guy" thing. Young men when they "dressed up" either wore suits or shirt and tie (a dismal alternative). At least that was my impression when my stepson was in college a few years ago. I went to a banquet for his fraternity once. A number of the older men in attendance wore sport coats, but none of the "actives"--either a suit or shirt with tie,

Anyway, I am an old guy myself and wear sport coats far more often than suits. My wardrobe reflects this--20 sport coats vs. six suits, and three of the latter have casual styling.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought sport coats were supposed to be more of an "old guy" thing. Young men when they "dressed up" either wore suits or shirt and tie (a dismal alternative). At least that was my impression when my stepson was in college a few years ago. I went to a banquet for his fraternity once. A number of the older men in attendance wore sport coats, but none of the "actives"--either a suit or shirt with tie,

Anyway, I am an old guy myself and wear sport coats far more often than suits. My wardrobe reflects this--20 sport coats vs. six suits, and three of the latter have casual styling.

The question, remember, was simply when one would wear a suit.

It really all depends on what you're comfortable with. As I've gotten older, I've gotten less comfortable dressing informally. Some older men can pull off dressing the same way they did when they were twenty without looking or feeling silly. I just don't happen to be one of them.

Cheers,

Ac

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Oh my! I dress in much the same way I did when I was 15 or thereabouts. I hope I am pulling it off without looking too silly. Of course, we are talking about prep school in the mid-1950s, which may skew things somewhat.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off the original topic, but you remind me that I recently went through my closet and found some old shirts from the early 70s when I was in college. They're a bit frayed but most still fit. I recently bought a Brooks Brothers shirt in the same size as those forty-year-old ones and I swear it's got about 7 inches of additional fabric around the middle compared to the older shirts. It's like putting on a poncho.

The size and shape of the "average" American male, as evidenced by OTR shirt standards, have really changed over the years ...

Cheers,

Ac

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My current practice, now that I think about it, seems to be:

Work:
* Always in court;
* Usually when meeting with a client for the first time;
* the rest of the time at the office, sport coat & tie (sort of a moot point since everyone's jacket is off and hanging up five minutes after getting to work, whether in a suit or not)

Funerals:
* Always

Weddings:
* Almost always if indoor;
* Rarely if outdoor. It is HOT down South.

Church:
* If my own, almost never, unless if asked to be in a skit or make an announcement or something
* As a guest in another's church, usually, unless absolutely positive that would be overdressing there

Social/Christmas Parties
* Not very often. Usually sport coat and tie cover the "dressier" occasions in my circle.

To sum up, I'd say I'm only in a suit about 30-35 times per year.

carlosviet

Reaction score
I really find it esier to define when it's not appropiate to wear one: To do some kind of exercise, or for an intense activity. For any other thing, I wear a suit.

A suit is not just the plain black/blue/charcoal for work. Fabric changes its nature entirely. A light gray suit for a morning is informal and neat. A brown tweed is classy but nobody would think you come from work. You can informalize the suit as much as you want with casual shoes, a sweater vest under the blazier or darker shirts. Suits are very versatile and nothing makes a man to look better.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UK, funerals and weddings. China, not at all.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I pray that you don't have a zipper fly.

TF has buttons :teach:

I used to wear one about twice a week. However, my new job requires suit and tie daily.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It occurs to me that I was so vague that I became too specific.
The word 'suit' on its own calls to mind a business suit, but I meant everything from tuxedos to tweed hunting gear.

The answer is still the same, whenever it is appropriate to wear a variety of suit.

it's as simple as that. +1

Punjabjat

Reaction score
All the time! To quote Barney "Nothing suits me like a suit"...joking aside, I wear suits every day to work, and have for past 10 years because I want to not have to. Personally, I'm most comfortable in suits and can't stand jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads