• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Go-to Polo Shirt?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Smedley Sea Island and Sunspel being the only ones you’d need.

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I used to wear a lot of Smedley and Sunspel. But the new kid on the block is Colhay's, and they are really good. Especially, if you are on the slimmer side, the cut is very spot on.

Goofy

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren slim fit, Prada and Burberry. All holdup pretty well. I’m especially impressed with the quality of the RL. Sunspel makes a nice classic t-shirt, but be advised they are paper thin.

rjkabk

Reaction score
I see a lot of Sunspel in this thread and have been considering them for years. One issue is I like to tumble dry my polos, and the care instructions say not to do that for Sunspel. I can tumble dry my Ralph Lauren Polo polos with no issue, but I did that to a Lacoste once and it was never the same. Anyone tumble drying their Sunspels? How does it work out for you?

pedroims

Reaction score
Got few from Banana Republic, it should be good enough for this summer.

jimney

Reaction score
I prefer "knitted" polos. Have two ribbed merino (short sleeves) ones from John Henric which I like a lot, but only really useful in spring, like now. Also the buttons are ugly and I have to get around changing them.
Besides that, I want to get some old-fashioned "bolder" Italian knitwear (like those made famous by the Riplley film), for which I'm looking into Gran Sasso and Connection knitwear, currently.

Those last two brands are exactly what I’m looking for, but they’re always so much narrower in the shoulders and chest than what I need.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zegna linen polos for summer.

bmac11c

Reaction score
I've tumble dried my Sunspel Riviera Polos and the I find myself replacing them after a year due to color fading. I found that hand-washing and line drying is the best way to keep the color.

I see a lot of Sunspel in this thread and have been considering them for years. One issue is I like to tumble dry my polos, and the care instructions say not to do that for Sunspel. I can tumble dry my Ralph Lauren Polo polos with no issue, but I did that to a Lacoste once and it was never the same. Anyone tumble drying their Sunspels? How does it work out for you?

Nikos

Reaction score
I like Smedley, Handvaerk, Zanone. Sunspel Rivieras are good too, but I agree, they fade quite a lot.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
What's your budget?

If you're looking for a dressier look, these are hard to beat in the value-for-money category. The hidden button-down self collar is great.

edit: Look around and you can find a 3/$99 deal with free shipping. That's a steal for these.

roostertailedcow

Reaction score
Russell 577, price is between 12 € and 25 €.

As a French, I should consider Lacoste but they are 100 €.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For run of the mill stuff, Lands End is remarkably good. I like very much that they have a long size option, which means I can get a long enough torso (and sleeves for the winter) without going up to XXL. Now for graduate school winters, I can grab 8 long sleeve polos for the price of one bespoke shirt and cut amazing amounts off my cleaning bills.

LL Bean has long-fit shirts also, although I've come to prefer the Lands End flat weave.

For even better fit, I do custom order at Vastrm. Probably not possible to do so well now after Covid, but they used to send three different cuts to you in the mail and you could then work with them to get ideal shoulder placement, etc, and modify as necessary to get perfect size.

In days gone by, I used to be a Lacoste regular, but they kept moving production further away from France. They insist the cotton knit is the same, but I would need to be persuaded. I still have a few kicking around that were made in France-- if they start fraying more at the placket, I might have to try again to see how things are.

Ascot Chang also makes nice bespoke ones. They have my pattern down pretty well for other reasons, so all that is left to worry about is the collar design.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually wear Billy Reid or Sunspel. I used to wear a lot of Brooks Brothers but haven't really bought any in years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads