• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite U.S. city?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The problem with the poll is that it doesn't give a basis for making a decision. Favorite to visit? NY and LA are great. Favorite to live in? I don't think I'd enjoy living either place since I'd have to take a huge cut in lifestyle to live either place.

I've lived in six of the cities and visited another 29. I don't know that there is a city that I've been to that I couldn't find something to like. Assuming my same level of income, I don't know of another city in the US that I'd choose to live in since I'd have to take a big step down in either cultural amenities or lifestyle to do it. Of the places I've lived my favorites for livability are, in order, (Dallas, Ft. Worth, Tulsa, Arlington, OKC and Houston). However, I can't think of very much to recommend any of these cities to a visitor.

As for cities I've visited: NYC (but only Manhattan), LA (but not all of it), Washington, New Orleans (downtown & French Quarter), and Portland (but only downtown).

I was very surprised at the person who said that there's nothing for visitors to do in LA. We were there recently for a long weekend and had lots of fun and plenty to do. I've been there several times and think of it as a great place for visitors.

Also, anyone who hates New Orleans doesn't like cities and shouldn't comment.
wink.gif
I haven't had a chance to go back since the storm, but the French Quarter is great! Garden District is amazing. Best food in the USA. New Orleans isn't like Manhattan. Manhattan is obvious. New Orleans is subtle. You need knowledge and you need an appreciation of urban life. I'm going back in a couple of months for the first time since the storm. I'm sure it's different now, but for tourists, I understand that most of the areas that are of interest were largely unaffected. New Orleans is a magical place.

4Mica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i'm shocked that san jose, san antonio, and phoenix are that high on the list of most populous u.s. cities.

and el paso is bigger than boston?

This ranking is based on population within city limits, not metropolitan area. For example, if you have been to Las Vegas and never left the Strip you were never actually in the City of Las Vegas. The Strip from the Sahara south is all in unincorporated Clark county.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Whatever city I am currently in.

Years ago, before we were married, my wife and I talked about possible transfers for me in my career. We both came to the conclusion that if you were making enough money, most any major city in the US is quite liveable.

Major cities are indeed livable and the ones I've visited have a lot to offer in the way of attractions. But my ideal is a small university town, access to a good airport, and the means to travel.

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Major cities are indeed livable and the ones I've visited have a lot to offer in the way of attractions. But my ideal is a small university town, access to a good airport, and the means to travel.
So basically... Ann Arbor, Palo Alto (snooze-fest) or The Triangle in NC? Can't think of many other attractive college towns for major universities, although there are plenty for smaller colleges.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eidolon
So basically... Ann Arbor, Palo Alto (snooze-fest) or The Triangle in NC? Can't think of many other attractive college towns for major universities, although there are plenty for smaller colleges.
I like Palo Alto and its surrounds because I partially grew up around there, but yeah it's boring. Evanston is pretty nice. Philadelphia deserves more love as a liveable city. Very good restaurants, excellent arts and culture (orchestra, museums), historical atmosphere in some areas, good schools outside the city, the Main Line for families (less off-putting than Westchester/LI to me - I've lived in the former), proximity to New York/DC/(Atlantic City), sizeable crowd of young professionals and quality students, and many excellent companies have a regional presence. I'm going to miss it when I leave.

Toad

Reaction score
Who wouldn't love good old NYC? That's the biggest poll I've ever seen.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eidolon

Don't forget Austin.

I might have to take that back because many people do not consider Austin a college town, but I always have.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Austin is very nice. I lived in Houston and often wished it were more Austin-like.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's no hyperbole when people refer to Austin as the "live music capital of the world". It seems like every bar, restaurant, and cafe has some kind of band playing in it - from rockabilly to South American.

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Atlanta only has 2 votes so far.

There's a conspiracy afoot.

Amongst people who have been there, most likely.
biggrin.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I like Palo Alto and its surrounds because I partially grew up around there, but yeah it's boring. Evanston is pretty nice. Philadelphia deserves more love as a liveable city. Very good restaurants, excellent arts and culture (orchestra, museums), historical atmosphere in some areas, good schools outside the city, the Main Line for families (less off-putting than Westchester/LI to me - I've lived in the former), proximity to New York/DC/(Atlantic City), sizeable crowd of young professionals and quality students, and many excellent companies have a regional presence. I'm going to miss it when I leave.
I've never been to Philly, but I hear good things. I think it was Saucemaster who called Philly the last major East Coast city with reasonable living expenses.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the ones in the list, I voted for New York City. However, I would never want to live in NYC. I spend most of my time in Newark, and I like it just fine here. However, I would never want to live in Newark either (for obvious reasons). If I had to pick a city to live in, I would live in Savannah, GA.

Mr T

Reaction score
My favorites that I have actually lived in are San Francisco, Denver, Seattle and Boston.

Cities I have lived in and hated: Atlanta, LA and San Diego

Cities from the list that I have visited and would like to live in at some point: NY and DC.

So, given the above I voted for San Francisco. I love the vibe and people and many important moments of my life have unfolded there. I have fond memories of visiting there as a child (grandparents lived there) and, later in life, sneaking away early from work to catch the BART to Oakland to see the Bash Brothers in their prime.

Having said that - Tokyo is above all...the greatest city in the world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads