What's your favorite U.S. city?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Jun 9, 2008.

1. visionology

visionology Senior member

Malls are suburban for the most part I thought.
    I'm not sure but you do not seem to like cities much or you like your cities to be as suburban as possible.

Yeah malls are sometimes suburban and sometimes not. There are malls in larger cities, for example in Providence, RI there is one right smack in downtown.

The mall in Savannah is away from the town on the outskirts which I noted as a plus because it wasn't near the downtown area. Savannah is pretty sprawled out, when you reach the outskirts it doesn't resemble the old world downtown area which I prefer.

I don't like suburban as possible or I'd be living in Litchfield, CT, Vermont, or New Hampshire, etc. I like to have the conveniences of a large city at my fingertips without having to live directly in the middle of the chaos.

That's why I have fun when I visit NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc yet wouldn't necessarily like to live there.

2. Fulcannelli

Fulcannelli Senior member

Quebec

3. thinman

thinman Senior member

I've lived in six of these cities and visited another 32. I chose San Francisco as my favorite US city to visit, but it's a pain in the a** to live there. I much, much prefer living in a small town. I enjoy my current small town more than any place I've ever lived. There's a lot to be said for living in a small town, traveling occasionally for business, and making enough money to travel for pleasure periodically.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i'm shocked that san jose, san antonio, and phoenix are that high on the list of most populous u.s. cities.

and el paso is bigger than boston?

5. eidolon

eidolon Senior member

I've lived in six of these cities and visited another 32. I chose San Francisco as my favorite US city to visit, but it's a pain in the a** to live there.

I much, much prefer living in a small town. I enjoy my current small town more than any place I've ever lived. There's a lot to be said for living in a small town, traveling occasionally for business, and making enough money to travel for pleasure periodically.

I agree with everything in this post, especially the line about SF.

I picked Chicago because my time there has always been similar to my time in New York, just with less bullshit. The traffic is somehow worse than New York, though, which I never got.

6. jordy55

jordy55 Member

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

In that order: NYC, Chicago, San Francisco

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

nothing beats good ol San Fernando Valley. which technically is los Angeles, but i dont like the whole city of LA, just certain parts of it.

now that ive been living in orange county the past 4 years, i actually prefer living in Irvine, Costa Mesa than LA.

9. briancl

briancl Senior member

I agree with everything in this post, especially the line about SF.

I picked Chicago because my time there has always been similar to my time in New York, just with less bullshit. The traffic is somehow worse than New York, though, which I never got.

Chicago traffic is deceptive. First, it's a city that you actually can have a car, so you are more likely to be stuck in traffic whereas in New York, you probably never get behind the wheel, so you don't notice the traffic. Second, the suburban area in Chicago is much further spread out which means you have to travel farther to get anywhere.

If you spend a great deal of time in and around NYC driving from city to suburb and back, you'll quickly appreciate the amount of traffic the NYC has to offer.

Either way, my solution to the problem: don't drive.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Whatever city I am currently in.

Years ago, before we were married, my wife and I talked about possible transfers for me in my career. We both came to the conclusion that if you were making enough money, most any major city in the US is quite liveable.

11. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I'm sort of surprised at the lack of votes for L.A. Does it suck? I've never been.

12. Coho

Coho Senior member

Is it just me or many people here just voted for whichever city they happen to currently reside in? [​IMG]

13. Coho

Coho Senior member

L.A. does suck. Unless you're a Cholo in East Los, I would never call that place home even though I went to school there in my adolescent life. It's much worse now with tons of illegal immigrants pouring in each day.

I'm sort of surprised at the lack of votes for L.A. Does it suck? I've never been.

14. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

it's the best city in the world if you don't mind hideous traffic, smog, earthquakes, fires, mudslides, drive-by shootings, freeway shootings, corrupt city government and police, crips, bloods, paparazzi induced car collisions, and fake tits everywhere.

i'm more surprised the number of votes for san francisco. i loved it the first few times i went, but it gets old pretty fast and it's too cold up there. if you stray into a less than affluent neighborhood, it feels like some ugly city on the east coast, though i've never been to the east coast.

15. shellshock

shellshock Forum Mascot

L.A. does suck. Unless you're a Cholo in East Los, I would never call that place home even though I went to school there in my adolescent life. It's much worse now with tons of illegal immigrants pouring in each day.

it's the best city in the world if you don't mind hideous traffic, smog, earthquakes, fires, mudslides, drive-by shootings, freeway shootings, corrupt city government and police, crips, bloods, paparazzi induced car collisions, and fake tits everywhere.

i'm more surprised the number of votes for san francisco. i loved it the first few times i went, but it gets old pretty fast and it's too cold up there. if you stray into a less than affluent neighborhood, it feels like some ugly city on the east coast, though i've never been to the east coast.

fuck the haters!