• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's this on my shoe?

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I was referring to the Saphir Renomat product (http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/leather-cleaner-renomat-saphir,20), which indeed is a cleaner. On the other hand the cleaning agent in Saphir Renovator (http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/shoe-polish-renovator-saphir-medaille-dor,522_) is very mild. The only issues I have experienced with the Renovator is that over application can make it difficult to get a good shine. Renovator is a wonderful product and does a great job of nourishing the leather on new and old shoes alike. The Renomat and the Renovator are easier to use and to ensure the expected results from the use. Neutral waxes and creams on the other hand need very careful use and results might surprise, in an unpleasant way.

Another caution. If the antiquing on your shoes has been applied after the shoes have been made, don't remember what the technical name for that finish is, then any Saphir polish, cream, or renovator with turpentine will strip the antiquing. This happened to my goodyear welted Santonis and I had to send them back to get them refinished.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

Another caution. If the antiquing on your shoes has been applied after the shoes have been made, don't remember what the technical name for that finish is, then any Saphir polish, cream, or renovator with turpentine will strip the antiquing. This happened to my goodyear welted Santonis and I had to send them back to get them refinished.

Crust leather.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was referring to the Saphir Renomat product (http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/leather-cleaner-renomat-saphir,20), which indeed is a cleaner. On the other hand the cleaning agent in Saphir Renovator (http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/shoe-polish-renovator-saphir-medaille-dor,522_) is very mild. The only issues I have experienced with the Renovator is that over application can make it difficult to get a good shine. Renovator is a wonderful product and does a great job of nourishing the leather on new and old shoes alike. The Renomat and the Renovator are easier to use and to ensure the expected results from the use. Neutral waxes and creams on the other hand need very careful use and results might surprise, in an unpleasant way.

Crust leather.

Whoa..... I just got a pair of Edward Green Inverness in Antique Burgandy and a pair of G&G Grants in VIntage Oak, do you think it's okay to use Saphir products on them? I was about to order a bunch of Saphir creams and waxes but maybe not....

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa..... I just got a pair of Edward Green Inverness in Antique Burgandy and a pair of G&G Grants in VIntage Oak, do you think it's okay to use Saphir products on them? I was about to order a bunch of Saphir creams and waxes but maybe not....

I will take them off your hands so you can remain worry free!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why polish new shoes?

Were they dirty upon delivery?

Last edited:

Poshak Man

Reaction score
I only had that problem with Saphir products used on Santoni shoes with crust leather. I have since then been using Santoni branded shoe wax on Santoni shoes without any problems. Not sure what is special about Santoni waxes but may be, they do not contain any solvent.

I have had no issues with Saphir products on Lobbs, Edward Greens, Crockett & Jones etc. But be careful when using neutral cream and polishes of any brand on any brand shoes.

Hopefully, knowledgeable members can shed some light on why Saphir polishes do this to shoes made with crust leather and what other shoes are made with crust leather.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

so technical spoken, you're an idiot?

Poshak Man

Reaction score
^^
I had referred to 'knowledgeable' members in my previous post. It was not a reference to any one specifically. My apologies, if my post and the reference insulted you as a member.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't think of a wax or cream that has wax in it that does not also have solvents in it. These solvents make hard wax (generally carnuba) into a paste or a cream by "solving" the wax. The solvents are universally volatile and intended to evaporate, leaving the wax closer to its original, solid, state.

To the extent that any finish...antiqued or not...is dependent on wax, solvents represent a clear and present danger. Even water can be a solvent for some "top coats" based on acrylic waxes.

Thin to win.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont know what it is but it makes me :(

as noted, find a good cobbler and hope for the best. if he can fix it, ask him what it was and what he did so you know for the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads