1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's this on my shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Verniza, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

Hi Gentleman,

I just received my new shoes today and decided to give them a polish. Half way through polishing I couldn't help but notice this:
    [​IMG]

What is the spot on the toe box? Did I do something wrong? How do I rectify it? Apparently, apply polish over it doesn't do anything.

Thanks gents!

2. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I can't tell for sure from the quality of the picture, but it looks like it may be heat damage. If it is, there is nothing you can do to fix it. Perhaps others will have better insight.

3. Patek

Patek Senior member

Was it there before you attempted to polish them?

4. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Senior member

What shoes are these and what shoe polish are you using. Shoe polishes with solvents will some times strip of the finish layer. Take it to a good cobbler to see what the professional advice is.

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

+1
    This appears to be the case.

6. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

Nope. It wasn't. I'm pretty sure it's something wrong that I did but I can't seem to identify what.

These are AS exclusives Moore and I'm using Saphir products. I applied reno, cream, lastly polish. Not all at once but you know the usual routine. Thanks for the advice, I'll take it to a cobbler after the New years and see what can be done.

7. koolhistorian

koolhistorian Senior member

It happened because you applied polish in the same place and it had "overloaded" with polish and water. Let it dry for a night and start it again with smaller quantities. Or strip down everything with turpentine or Renomat and start again. Check also your water levels on your polishing rag.

8. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

Done. It seems better now although it can still be seen if you were to look for it. I'll try stripping it. Thanks gent.

9. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Have you tried the Saphir cream rather than just reno & wax polish?

The only reason I mention this, Reno has solvents as it's a cleaner and the MDO Wax has a turpentine base which is a strong solvent in its own right. The Saphir creams are far more gentle and with the added pigment are a good bet at covering the mark altogether.

I like Renomat and it will probably resolve the issue but it just seems a little extreme to have to strip the shoe in this instance...

10. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

Would the saphir neutral cream do the trick? That's the only Saphir cream I have in my arsenal so far. Reno ---> cream ---> wax.

11. Northampton Novice

No, neutral products always have greater solvent properties and IMHO are best used after you have a few coats of a coloured or pigmented cream on your shoe.

12. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Senior member

+1. After some bad experiences, I now only use Saphir neutral wax and cream if I want to strip stubborn layers of polish. I don't use them to shine shoes anymore as they are more of a cleaning agent. A slightly milder form of renomat, as I see it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  13. Verniza

Verniza Senior member

Ahh I see what's the problem now. I used renovateur and neutral cream on a brand new shoe which damaged the finishing. This has been eye opening for me, considering these are my 1st pair of leather shoes and my 1st time polishing shoes.

14. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Especially if the OP was spit-shining...I suspect that thius is the best explanation of what happened.

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

so why do people recommend it to noobs to use it on their new shoes with zero experience? i know that you know, btw.

16. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Senior member

I was referring to the Saphir Renomat product (http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/leather-cleaner-renomat-saphir,20), which indeed is a cleaner. On the other hand the cleaning agent in Saphir Renovator (http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/shoe-polish-renovator-saphir-medaille-dor,522_) is very mild. The only issues I have experienced with the Renovator is that over application can make it difficult to get a good shine. Renovator is a wonderful product and does a great job of nourishing the leather on new and old shoes alike. The Renomat and the Renovator are easier to use and to ensure the expected results from the use. Neutral waxes and creams on the other hand need very careful use and results might surprise, in an unpleasant way.

Another caution. If the antiquing on your shoes has been applied after the shoes have been made, don't remember what the technical name for that finish is, then any Saphir polish, cream, or renovator with turpentine will strip the antiquing. This happened to my goodyear welted Santonis and I had to send them back to get them refinished.

17. Northampton Novice

Crust leather.

18. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Whoa..... I just got a pair of Edward Green Inverness in Antique Burgandy and a pair of G&G Grants in VIntage Oak, do you think it's okay to use Saphir products on them? I was about to order a bunch of Saphir creams and waxes but maybe not....

19. chogall

chogall Senior member

I will take them off your hands so you can remain worry free!

20. GBR

GBR Senior member

Why polish new shoes?

Were they dirty upon delivery?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011