1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What's this on my shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Verniza, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Senior member

I only had that problem with Saphir products used on Santoni shoes with crust leather. I have since then been using Santoni branded shoe wax on Santoni shoes without any problems. Not sure what is special about Santoni waxes but may be, they do not contain any solvent.

I have had no issues with Saphir products on Lobbs, Edward Greens, Crockett & Jones etc. But be careful when using neutral cream and polishes of any brand on any brand shoes.

Hopefully, knowledgeable members can shed some light on why Saphir polishes do this to shoes made with crust leather and what other shoes are made with crust leather.

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

so technical spoken, you're an idiot?

3. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Senior member

^^
    I had referred to 'knowledgeable' members in my previous post. It was not a reference to any one specifically. My apologies, if my post and the reference insulted you as a member.

4. Patek

Patek Senior member

Plenty of bad advice on here. Anything Revolving posts comes to mind.

5. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I can't think of a wax or cream that has wax in it that does not also have solvents in it. These solvents make hard wax (generally carnuba) into a paste or a cream by "solving" the wax. The solvents are universally volatile and intended to evaporate, leaving the wax closer to its original, solid, state.

To the extent that any finish...antiqued or not...is dependent on wax, solvents represent a clear and present danger. Even water can be a solvent for some "top coats" based on acrylic waxes.

Thin to win.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i dont know what it is but it makes me :(

as noted, find a good cobbler and hope for the best. if he can fix it, ask him what it was and what he did so you know for the future.

7. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Plenty of idiots too...