• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you buy?? (Watches......watches!)

tilesomoole

Reaction score
What watch would you buy for $300 - ish for casual -to - business casual dressing? I'm looking to upgrade to my first 'real' watch and the suggestions and lists are overwhelming.

What would be your first first choice?

Thanks in advance!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What watch would you buy for $300 - ish for casual -to - business casual dressing? I'm looking to upgrade to my first 'real' watch and the suggestions and lists are overwhelming.

What would be your first first choice?

Thanks in advance!
As other's have said the poor man's watch thread would be the spot on here. If you want a lot of really good suggestions I'd suggest the affordable watch sub forum on Watchuseek. That is where I have found out about most of the the watches brands I own.

Panama

Reaction score
The entry level Swiss watch brands are:

Wenger/Victorinox
Claude Bernard (Edox)
Certina (Swatch)
Hamilton (Swatch)
Tissot (Swatch)

Otherwise the well known Japanese brands:

Seiko
Citizen
Orient

tilesomoole

Reaction score
The entry level Swiss watch brands are:

Wenger/Victorinox
Claude Bernard (Edox)

Thank you so much for taking the time to post - I've never heard of either brand. What would be your top choice for each brand?

At those lower price points, Hamilton makes some visually interesting watches.

Yes, I've seen some Hamiltons that would fit what I'm looking for - which one would you buy if you needed a casual-to-business-casual model?

Thank you guys

basu13

Reaction score
Unending Seikos at that or slightly higher price range, whether in the dressier Presage range or the sportier Prospex range. My personal recommendation - look for a SARB series watch, either the SARB033 (black dial) or the SARB 035 (white dial). They are pretty sought after JDM watches, and out of production currently, but you might find some on the grey market or as a used buy. Superb mix of an everyday watch, which can be dressed up or down no matter what you wear. The original Alpinist series (used) is also a good pick.

If you are inflexible on budget, look at the new Seiko 5 watches - both SKX style ones as well as the ones with no rotating bezel. These are solid picks at around your budget.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen some Hamiltons that would fit what I'm looking for - which one would you buy if you needed a casual-to-business-casual model?

Thank you guys

this is a watch I own but rarely wear anymore. It’s a Hamilton Dodson:

30557568-611E-4C21-A255-D12F0D88C177.jpeg

Panama

Reaction score
Thank you so much for taking the time to post - I've never heard of either brand. What would be your top choice for each brand?

Thank you guys
I have a Claude Bernard. I do not have a Victorinox. I have two Tissot's, an Eterna, a Frederique Constant and a Certina.

I find these attractive:

alliance.jpeg
vuc2.jpeg
vic.jpeg
241913-victorinox-mens-watch-p35619-50617_medium.jpg

70201-3-BUIN.jpg

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
Only my Claude Bernard and my Certina would be in your budget, both quartz. I would save for a Hamilton or Tissot automatic. Longines are very attractive but we are talking 2k for a nice one. All three are from the Swatch group, as is Certina.

Longines-Spirit-Green-42mm-time-and-date-leather-strap-L3.811.4.03.2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads