• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

shizlefonizle

Reaction score
Just about to finish my MS in Food Science

Got offered 50K + bonus

Looking for 60k+, although Im willing to go as low as 40K for a position I really like

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
£22k in an entry-level marketing role after completing a BA in Digital Art.

Year later I switched to a new company for £2k more, couple months into that they offered me a further £4k raise. Will be pushing for a more substantial raise in 6 months or so just because I have some serious responsibilities with my current role..

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just about to finish my MS in Food Science

Got offered 50K + bonus

Looking for 60k+, although Im willing to go as low as 40K for a position I really like
I'm not sure what Food Service would encompass, but $40K for a master's degree seems like a slap in the face to me.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I got my BS in Accounting ~2007: $32K. Small accounting firm
When I got my MBA ~2010: No job until early 2011 but $70K

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When I got my BS in Accounting ~2007: $32K.  Small accounting firm
When I got my MBA ~2010: No job until early 2011 but $70K

Are those years right?
I don't know much about accountants...but you'd have to pay me a lot more than that to get an accounting degree.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those years right?
I don't know much about accountants...but you'd have to pay me a lot more than that to get an accounting degree.
Judging from those years, he must have gone directly into the MBA after graduating. I'm not an accountant (and I never have been), but if you come out of undergrad. and work for a small firm, you're probably going to get stiffed. If you get a job with a Big 4 firm (which he probably tried to do), the money's better, but the hours are LONG!!! If you don't eventually get your CPA certification, you could also be in a world of hurt.

Last edited:

shizlefonizle

Reaction score
I'm not sure what Food Service would encompass, but $40K for a master's degree seems like a slap in the face to me.

Its Food Science. Most people will end up working in Quality Control or Product Development/R&D for food companies. I would get paid more if I settled for a Quality Control job since I already have experience in the field but I really want to get into Product Development which is hard to get into so Im willing to take a pay cut. Overall avg for people in my field are about 100k but everyone starts low.

marg

Reaction score
37k in 2006 in client service at a financial services company. 62k last year after a couple of promotions. For finance, I'm basically paid in circus peanuts, but it's allowed me to go through law school at night. Also, my 401k is sexy.

kolakowj

Reaction score
1985, rocket scientist, $18,610 in NJ, Dept of Defense civilian employee. At the time, NJ teacher starting salary was $22k. .

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The years are right. At a small firm you will not make much but the hours are a lot more manageable. I was there for almost a year before graduating college so I worked during the day and went to school at night. When the discussion came up about getting my CPA I jumped into getting my MBA after speaking with a mentor and him thinking it was the right decision after speaking about my interests.

A side bar: I had an interview scheduled for a Tuesday and on Monday afternoon I found out I was accepted to the school I wanted. I called the interviewer and said I would not be interviewing as I was going a different direction. That gig was with a publicly traded company and would have been in the high 40's low 50's for just an undergrad degree.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The years are right. At a small firm you will not make much but the hours are a lot more manageable. I was there for almost a year before graduating college so I worked during the day and went to school at night. When the discussion came up about getting my CPA I jumped into getting my MBA after speaking with a mentor and him thinking it was the right decision after speaking about my interests.

A side bar: I had an interview scheduled for a Tuesday and on Monday afternoon I found out I was accepted to the school I wanted. I called the interviewer and said I would not be interviewing as I was going a different direction. That gig was with a publicly traded company and would have been in the high 40's low 50's for just an undergrad degree.
Have you gotten your CPA?

Onetwobit

Reaction score
BBA Finance from non-target state school: 50 + bonus as a Financial Analyst at a large risk management firm. Large, fairly expensive city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads