• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

imschatz

Reaction score
Update: MA in Economics

Year 1: $45,000
Year 2: $82,500

Now working for a electric utility as Business Analyst.

Last edited:

EMY

Reaction score
I have an interview tomorrow and honestly have no idea what to put for my desired salary. The salary range that I found on glassdoor for the company is $63k-100k with an average of 80500. I have no industry experience, however, I was making about $65/hr working for my school. Would it be unreasonable to ask for 78-98k? The job only requires a BS, but I have a MS and this is my first job.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have an interview tomorrow and honestly have no idea what to put for my desired salary. The salary range that I found on glassdoor for the company is $63k-100k with an average of 80500. I have no industry experience, however, I was making about $65/hr working for my school. Would it be unreasonable to ask for 78-98k? The job only requires a BS, but I have a MS and this is my first job.

Don't write anything on the form. They probably won't insist if it is an early round interview (or even notice if its an HR thing)

Try to get them to name a number first, you can use all sorts of ways to dodge the question...especially since you aren't coming from a job so its not like they are aiming to land you for 5% over your previous salary.

EMY

Reaction score

Don't write anything on the form. They probably won't insist if it is an early round interview (or even notice if its an HR thing)
Try to get them to name a number first, you can use all sorts of ways to dodge the question...especially since you aren't coming from a job so its not like they are aiming to land you for 5% over your previous salary.

Thanks. This is actually a final round interview (or Super Day for the finance guys) with 7 interviews scheduled. They actually told me to fill out a form prior to coming and it explicitly asks for desired salary. :/

This is an engineering job.

Last edited:

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. This is actually a final round interview (or Super Day for the finance guys) with 7 interviews scheduled. They actually told me to fill out a form prior to coming and it explicitly asks for desired salary. :/
This is an engineering job.

i still ignore it. if it's an online form that requires it, i just put 0.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, forms are to be left blank.

Someone may press you on it later and it is possible that you may have no choice but to answer (but you gotta try first), but the form should just be blank.

deepitm

Reaction score
Ask for more than you want. I've never heard of someone not getting hired because they wanted too much money. I have heard of people turning down jobs because the employer wasn't willing to pay enough. FYI $65/hr is 130k per year assuming basic work week.

It's much easier to ask for money up front as opposed to asking for a raise later.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What were you doing for the school? At 65/hr I would imagine something computer/IT related? IF so, go ahead and ask for $130K annualized since that's what you made. But if you don't feel comfortable with that I would ask for above the top range of the glassdoor estimate (say $115k) and use your past experience to support it.

Of course, it's always best to have them make the financial offer first then countering but one isn't always given the option.

EMY

Reaction score

What were you doing for the school? At 65/hr I would imagine something computer/IT related? IF so, go ahead and ask for $130K annualized since that's what you made. But if you don't feel comfortable with that I would ask for above the top range of the glassdoor estimate (say $115k) and use your past experience to support it.
Of course, it's always best to have them make the financial offer first then countering but one isn't always given the option.

I was a TA and that's the hourly that was listed on my checks. The company ended up not collecting the form (i did not remind them either) and salary was never brought up....

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, disregard the first part of my advice then :). Simply use the industry salary data to support your request then. The worst they can do is say no and counter offer.

rossoz

Reaction score
1980 BS Accounting $18K for a job in Phoenix... The highest in my class that I knew about was $24K for a job in Hartford for a big copper company.

Take the job, but never stop looking to improve your situation.

Cheers,

Rene_Lahm

Reaction score
Graduated 2010 English degree.

Got a full time job working as a "residential counsellor" in a mens homeless shelter, worked there part time throughout University. 33K.

Did that for about 8 months full time before I got a far better position in the social services field (mental health), non-profit sector. That started at 52K, and I'm a bit more than a year and a half into that. More education such as an MSW would provide me with more options like clinical counseling, which one can charge up to $140 an hour. That's the long term goal.

nocarsgo

Reaction score
First year as a doctor graduate in UK, 2011, made an equivalent of $44k before taxes (which I'm sure total more than in the US). This year I should make about 58k pre-tax. Hoping to be on about 100k in 4 years doing locum work as a General Practioner (takes 5 years total from graduation here to qualify as a GP).

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1980 BS Accounting $18K for a job in Phoenix...  The highest in my class that I knew about was $24K for a job in Hartford for a big copper company.

Take the job, but never stop looking to improve your situation.

Cheers,

"Take the job, but never stop looking to improve your situation."

I really like that! Short, simple, but effective.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads