• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the inspiration for 80's type suits?

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Nice find, other. I'm quoting it because I'd like to compare it with an equally exaggerated version of the 1970s silhouette:

Here we have a narrow, high, concave shoulder; the chest cut close to to the body; wide lapels; pinched waist; flared skirts; trousers tight in the thigh and flaring out below the knee. The silhouette's total effect is of a narrow pyramid: /\. It inverts the classic masculine V. It's a masculine version of a classic women's silhouette, as here in Dior's New Look:

Or you might say it's an updating of a silhouette long unused in mens' wear:

Now look at the Armani droop. Compared to the 70s suits, it's like a massive, aggressively wide V, even with the droop and the lower shoulder. Against the 70s' pyramid silhouette, it asserts the classic masculine triangle with a vengeance. This is why I said earlier that the 80s droop suit is a reaction against the 70s' flirting with femininity.

(A very good analysis--which I've cribbed--of the 1970s silhouette by Sator is here.

And a good one of the 70s' high shoulder here.)

Last edited:

recondite

Reaction score

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

30541409.jpg

140316641.JPG

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ferre was incredible, and the rise and fall of the house (at least to shadow of its former glory) is instructive of the power of marketing and branding.

Yes, given how much the brand has fallen off the radar, it's hard to believe the impact it had on fashion in the 80's. Though Armani had the "unstructured" look down, it was Ferre who did most of the "sculptural" and structured look of 80's and 90's fashion... both for men and for women. Those who were familiar with the mainline during those days... and even up until his death in 2007... knew of the amazing (sometimes OVERly so) construction of his garments. He was nicknamed "the architect of fashion" for a reason.

It also maintained a position between RtW and couture, in terms of construction. Many of the outerwear and more "substantial" pieces were built like pieces of armor, like the earlier YSL couture.

As well, one can gauge the importance of an 80's brand by the number of lines it had at its peak... for a while Ferre had perhaps a dozen different lines. Off hand, I can think of Gianfranco Ferre (mainline), Ferre White, Ferre Red, Ferre Jeans, Ferre Sport, Ferre Studio, 0001 Ferre, Oaks Ferre, GFF, Gieffeffe.... and I know I'm forgetting a few.

Anyway, Ferre had a very brief resurgence in 2008 and 2009 with some outstanding collections (AW2008/2009 with Lars Nilsson and Aw2009/2010), but now it's under new ownership again with folk who appear to know nothing about the brand or what it did.

Last edited:

Kristen Morris

Reaction score
What is the source of this image! I can see that it is an Alan Flusser Suit, but am curious the source/magazine ?!?! Does anyone know. I would like to cite it in my research!
Great post! Thank you!

carpu65

Reaction score
I read that Tom Ford gets inspiration from the 1940s for his suits, and RLPL is inspired by Savile Row. But what about the peculiar characteristics we associate with suits from the 80s? I'm talking about the extra wide shoulders, pleats and extra fabric in the suits. Is there a particular era (or region) that inspired this look?

one word: Armani
And the Armani inspiration was the worse of 40s:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads