• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the first suit you ever owned?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
1987: Light grey and blue mix, two-button single breasted with center vent and flat-front pants by Wm. H. Leishman from Tip Top Tailors, 100% wool, made in Canada. Shirt was also by Leishman, white tone-on-tone, 65% polyester, 35% cotton, barrel cuffs, imported; solid red silk tie by Leishman made in Italy; solid red pocket square.

bigstar[1].gif

Wrigglez

Reaction score
a black with blue stitch stripe 100pc wool suit from studio italia. fused and still to big for me. worn three times

Ryan Graber

Reaction score
My first real suit wa sgiven to me by my uncle when i was 15/16 it was a bijan, I got 6 months of use then it was off to an elder cousin of small stature. (when I was younger I didnt really were suits, more just casual stuff) My first non hand me down suit was an Etro I bought a year ago.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
grey polyester number when I was 12 and made to wear by my mom... she also bought me a white short-sleeved shirt and a solid blue clip-on tie. I only wore it once, and it affected my childhood.

Markus Aurelius

Reaction score
The first suit that I bought myself and I consider to be my 'real big boy' suit, I purchased at UNIQLO last summer. It's a very sharp black two button suit, I wear it all the time and it has become a true staple of my wardrobe. Wonderful suit for the price I got it for. Toronto needs a UNIQLO, anybody willing to send a very well worded letter to the head office?

Dear UNIQLO

Please, please open a location in Toronto, we need you to fight back against the H and M.

Love
Markus and Torontonians

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My mom and dad dressed me in suits from a very early age. I've always had them.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
An MTM double breasted black suit at the age of 17, which in retrospect, must have been made of a material of dubious provenance. The fit was so bad and I felt ugly wearing it that it has put me off double breasted suits until now.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hand-me-down navy shadow stripe DB from my father since I needed one for band concerts. I outgrew the trousers and started wearing black poly trousers as a replacement. All photos of this sartorial travesty have since been destroyed.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, I have a sneaking suspicion that the first suit I ever wore was actually a tux when I was about 5 or 6. I really need to dig through the family albums at some stage and find some fit pics.
smile.gif

I wore various varieties of blazer and trousers for school (first a blue blazer and grey shorts, then black blazer with black/white piping and embroidered breast pocket, grey shorts and matching cap, then long trousers with the above). But I first wore a full suit at school when I was 13 (we had to wear grey suits on Wednesdays & Saturdays for chapel services, but blue blazer/grey trousers the rest of the week. Don't ask me to explain the reasoning; I've no idea).

My first "proper" adult suit was around age 17, for university interviews. A navy blue Pierre Cardin DB in a worsted flannel. I actually really liked that suit, and thought it was a pretty damn cool at the time and for my age. Kept it throughout my time at university, alongside a charcoal grey SB suit and a tux, but it finally gave out about a year after I graduated.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
some house brand from Men's Warehouse.

Black, pleated, cuffed, 4 button.

Oh, and it was two sizes too big.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A double-breasted solid charcoal suit.

That was the only and only double breasted suit i ever worn in my entire life...

It was quite baggy if I think about it in SF terms...

Macallan

Reaction score
When I was 10 years old, I had a single-breasted black suit - do not remember much else about it.

First proper suit was a RTW Gieves & Hawkes suit - navy, single breasted, two buttons, double vents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads