Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What was the first suit you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BamaHater, Feb 1, 2010.

1. BamaHater

BamaHater Senior member

Lets hear what everyone's first suit was. I know everyone didn't start out buying RLPL and Kiton suits. Mine was a Brandini which was a suit I bought in high school from Foley's. It was a May Company house brand suit. It was a cheaper suit but was made in Canada. Looking back on it the suit was a size too big and the sleeves where a bit long. I tried it on recently and thought boy this thing fits really bad. One thing positive is I still wear the pants. They are pretty nice.

2. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

My mom made my first suit when I was in 5th grade. It was tan colored and made of a polyester knit.

I needed a suit for Junior Assembly where Mrs. Elliot taught the little socialite kids of Tucson about manners and how to ballroom dance.

3. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Have no idea. Was probably about 1967. I was probably about 6. Had a nice plaid sports jacket earlier than that. Don't know anything about them. I wasn't actually checking labels.

4. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

From a store called L&S Prep Store or K&S Prep Store or something like that. House brand. Made in the USA.

I still have it. It's probably somewhere around a Boys size 10 or 12. I got a lot of wear out of it though.

5. Jacksdad

Jacksdad Senior member

I had a money suit by GANT in 7th grade....needless to say I was the cock of the walk!!

6. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

It was a hand me down from my brother. I wore it to my graduation from the 5th grade. It was a 3-piece navy blue suit. I loved the vest. I wore no tie because dad said i didn't need one but he wore a tie. Suit was polyester

7. Crosstalker

Crosstalker Senior member

38 Short Ralph Lauren Navy Herringbone Suit. I still have it, ten years later.

Amazingly, it still fits.

8. biasedcut

biasedcut Member

Never needed anything more than the khaki/navy blazer combo until a high school event. I think I even had one MTM from a local tailor, but definitely didn't appreciate it at the time.

Then when I got to college I managed to snag it on a bush hanging over the sidewalk, tearing a monster chunk out of the pants. Was never the same.

9. dhaller

dhaller Senior member

Well, my first suit was a sailor suit, complete with bib and ribboned hat - I suppose I was two or so. Very "Christopher Robin".

The earliest suit I *remember* was a plaid suit (with shorts) which I wore at Easter and the like - I was 3 or 4? I must admit, shamefacedly, that I wore a clip-on tie with it. That suit is linked with my earliest memory of sartorial preference - I liked wearing my red knee socks with it.

I actually had quite a variety of sportcoats and suits growing up; I have a kindergarten photo in which I'm wearing a brown corduroy sportcoat (the wale looks huge on a five year old) and a white turtleneck... very 1971!

I think my first "proper" suit was probably the suit I wore for First Communion; it was a little navy 2-button with long pants (yay!)... though, again, a clip-on tie. I was seven, I think.

DH

10. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

I was a big fan of the zipper tie, myself.

11. July

July Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers sack suit in navy.

12. BaaBaaBlackFleece

BaaBaaBlackFleece Active Member

mine was likely from berlington coat factory, and thus fairly terrible. It was a dark solid grey, a plus, but it was also double breasted.....and I was a freshman in high school. No doubt ill fitting as well.

At least I can say I've never had a clip-on tie.

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

1977. I was 16. My dad bought me a med. grey 3 pc. suit, shirt & tie by Pierre Cardin,
    which I owned for about 12 years before it wouldn't fit anymore but was still like new.
    He chose the suit/shirt/tie for me. I chose the shoes, which were a joke; can't remember the make,
    but they were platform shoes that went out of 'style' 6 months after he bought them for me.

14. furo

furo Senior member

I think mine was Geoffrey Beene sometime around 1996 or so when I was doing debate in high school [​IMG]

15. Milpool

Milpool Senior member

No clue what the brand was, but I think my parents got it at the same place they got my school uniforms clothes.

I don't remember much about the suit, but I do remember getting blisters from the horrible shoes.