• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type hat for my head shape?

SamPepys

Reaction score
For my entire life I've had a phobia of hats. I've never been able to find one that I think fits my face. Can anyone recommend styles, I would love to finally have something to keep my head warm on these winter days!

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is a great response and as I live in Houston I can recommend the shop too. Got a nice cheap resistol type panama for the beach there and a Stetson open road. They do mail order too.

@ the OP you are a 'square face' according to that chart. Good luck.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually wasn't even thinking about where to buy the hats. Nor did I realize the link referred to a store in Houston. Guess I'll have to try to swing by whenever I next travel towards houston.

As far as a recommendation on where to get hats or get hats made, I think I'm doing a good job of belaboring the point that I love my Peters Brothers fedora and recommend their custom hat work over in another thread.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sam, you can easily rock a fedora. Here is an example of one of our members here, Man Of Kent, who is approximately your build.
20100623_main.jpg
And another by member AlanC
img0213zl.jpg
The fedora is classic and can suit almost any man, any size, any frame. Welcome to Styleforum.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice lookin' fellow! tiny little request here... lose the white undershirt. It's like showing your boxers above your pants. Either wear a v-neck, or just wear your t-shirt like it's a t-shirt. Just 'cause it has 2 buttons does NOT make it a formal shirt that you might wear an undershirt with...

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Sam, you can easily rock a fedora...

And another by member AlanC

img0213zl.jpg

The fedora is classic and can suit almost any man, any size, any frame.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Loving the bow and bound edge on that hat. Great combination.

And +1. There are enough heights, brim widths, crown styles, etc for everyone to be able to rock a Fedora.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
I actually wasn't even thinking about where to buy the hats. Nor did I realize the link referred to a store in Houston. Guess I'll have to try to swing by whenever I next travel towards houston.

As far as a recommendation on where to get hats or get hats made, I think I'm doing a good job of belaboring the point that I love my Peters Brothers fedora and recommend their custom hat work over in another thread.

It's in a weird location sort of equidistant between downtown, Montrose and the Heights on a scruffy old strip centre.

Another good hat shop near the Galleria area is The Hat Shop on Richmond at Chimney Rock where they do great personal service (old time family store) but lean more towards western styles.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
It's in a weird location sort of equidistant between downtown, Montrose and the Heights on a scruffy old strip centre.

Another good hat shop near the Galleria area is The Hat Shop on Richmond at Chimney Rock where they do great personal service (old time family store) but lean more towards western styles.

As a Texan, I've seen it done well enough that I'm not against the western as a formal hat. Around here, it's perfectly appropriate. The thing, as always, seems to be to have it done well.

@OP: While I'm sure this will be a heretical statement for this forum, the mention of that does bring up that I personally could envision you in a well done western style hat also.

JohnShaft

Reaction score
Excellent recommendations so far!

As another Houstonian, I've frequented both those hat shops and they are very helpful.

And as snippy as some on this forum can be, telling Texans to deny the western hat is like telling the English to deny the Derby. It may no longer be any every day hat but it is a cultural icon. lol

@OP:

I have a rounder face than yours but both our faces are large. I find that a fuller crown and a more conservative width brim seems to work wonders for that.

The converse is also why big guys look awful in those flat crowned, George Strait hats with the giant, nearly flat brims. lol

SamPepys

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I always had a hard time determining where my face fit on the diagram.

(and I did pick up some new v-neck undershirts today
smile.gif

SamPepys

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I don't live in the most cosmopolitan area, but I did go to local suit store. They mainly had gaudy, polyester men's suits but they did have a selection of hats. I tried on the bowler, and liked it. I think I like something closer to my head, but the homburgs didn't look bad. Unfortunately all they had were rainbow colored polyester ones, but at least I know what fits my face when I do find a decent one. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads