• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American Gods season 1 absolutely warped interpretation which stays faithful to the novel. Gillian Anderson is simply amazing in her characterization and as for the costuming. Bizarre viewing.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished season three of Snowfall. It's a decent show that somehow always manages to screw up what should be an unbelievably compelling story. Weird nightclub sub-plot, losing sight of main characters and capping it all off with a pretentious dream sequence for the season finale. Watchable, fun at times but this is really C grade television.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gave up on the I Land after 2.5 episodes. Just too much bs.

Starting Unbelievable later.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
OK, thank you. After my recent and still-ongoing "Money Heist" ptsd, there is no way I'm starting that ("I-land") and will wait for your "Unbelievable" impressions.

What do people think the long-term prospects for Netflix are?

They are obviously all-in on their own productions, but so far the "Netflix Originals" ones I have seen rate, on combined average, +/- 2.6 ter1413s out of 5.0 ter1413s. Margin of error: 0.2.

I do not feel very optimistic. They seem pretty heady/heavy on quantity, much lighter on actual quality, and I wade through a lot of boring junk to find the few really compelling films or series.

I think the most recent OK-to-good Net O production I saw was "The Highwaymen" film (Costner/Harrelson), but even that was not great..felt fairly superficial in the end.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^
OK, thank you. After my recent and still-ongoing "Money Heist" ptsd, there is no way I'm starting that ("I-land") and will wait for your "Unbelievable" impressions.

What do people think the long-term prospects for Netflix are?

They are obviously all-in on their own productions, but so far the "Netflix Originals" ones I have seen rate, on combined average, +/- 2.6 ter1413s out of 5.0 ter1413s. Margin of error: 0.2.

I do not feel very optimistic. They seem pretty heady/heavy on quantity, much lighter on actual quality, and I wade through a lot of boring junk to find the few really compelling films or series.

I think the most recent OK-to-good Net O production I saw was "The Highwaymen" film (Costner/Harrelson), but even that was not great..felt fairly superficial in the end.

I’m probably biased because my wife used to work at Netflix and the stock options are treating us well, but I like the originals I’ve watched. I think that long term, there’s going to be some stiff competition, but they’ll do well. The company is run, and populated, by smart people.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m probably biased because my wife used to work at Netflix and the stock options are treating us well, but I like the originals I’ve watched. I think that long term, there’s going to be some stiff competition, but they’ll do well. The company is run, and populated, by smart people.
My brother works there now (he started about 9 months ago). He has always been in film finance/production his entire career, about 4 jobs max. He says the stress levels are very high there, which is saying something, and he's still unsure...has his cv out in many other places already.

But, I'm talking about the level of the productions themselves, not employee satisfaction or stock options. I wonder....

What originals have you liked/watched?
You liked them all?
I am not trying to sound negative, but some stuff has been very good, a lot of it started good and turned boring, and some was **** from the beginning, so I wonder how it is possible to like it all unless one's list is very limited and/or specific.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made it about 20 minutes into the first episode and tapped out.
Smart man.
It very quickly became some kind of really bad Junior High School Drama Class Collabo thing, just completely overdone, inept, and trivial. You would be better off watching 'Avatar' re-runs, sadly....

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean...I have enjoyed most of the originals I have watched...but I also completely ignore many of them. Are you just bored and clicking on whichever ones they are featuring on your home screen? I generally don't watch things unless they have been recommended or I have heard something...especially now that it is all on-demand so aimlessly channel flipping isn't a thing.

Sure, some of them also fizzle out and I don't keep watching, but I still consider myself satisfied by things like Orange is the New Black and House of Cards even if I trailed off on them. I suppose that starts to look more like network TV where they run out of things to say after 3 seasons but know they can string along an audience for a few more...

American Vandal, Stranger Things, Master of None, Russian Doll, BoJack Horseman, Dead to Me, Friends From College (this one has *awful* reviews, but I think I tick all of the boxes for their target audience). Those are all shows I've seen straight through to whatever the most recent episodes are.

Many other shows I've drifted away from in that I did finish a season, but never got drawn back in to the new one. Probably more likely to be finished If I have a lot of free time/need stuff to watch on long plane rides/etc....or if my GF starts watching them when I'm around. Glow, Love, Jessica Jones, Black Mirror.

And more that I'd probably like if I started but I just don't have time (or my GF has already seen so they don't make it on top of the list). Narcos, Luke Cage, Sabrina, The Kominsky Method, probably a bunch more.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother works there now (he started about 9 months ago). He has always been in film finance/production his entire career, about 4 jobs max. He says the stress levels are very high there, which is saying something, and he's still unsure...has his cv out in many other places already.

But, I'm talking about the level of the productions themselves, not employee satisfaction or stock options. I wonder....

What originals have you liked/watched?
You liked them all?
I am not trying to sound negative, but some stuff has been very good, a lot of it started good and turned boring, and some was **** from the beginning, so I wonder how it is possible to like it all unless one's list is very limited and/or specific.

I mean, you asked about the long term prospects for the company. I gave my opinion...

No, I have not watched all of the Netflix Originals, that would be a superhuman feat of couch potatoness that I'm just not capable of. I spend too much time reading and watching bicycle racing, soccer and hockey for that.

Here are the shows I've watched that I enjoyed. It's a small percentage of the number of shows that they've released, but really, what percentage of a particular network's shows is it reasonable to expect one person to watch and enjoy?

OITNB, Stranger Things, Altered Carbon (though I didn't like the book all that much), Disenchantment, Marco Polo, Lost In Space, House Of Cards, The OA, Sense8, Santa Clarita Diet, Grace And Frankie (at least the first couple of seasons), The Crown, Russian Doll, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TV was a wasteland before streaming, still is outside the platforms.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just asking opinions, folks.

Maybe it is just me.
I do not watch a lot or indiscriminately; go weeks without turning on; obviously (esp since I pay for it) hope that Netflix is far superior to network TV (that would seem to go without saying); have been disappointed for the most (more than 50%) part, including some of the shows listed in the last few posts.

For instance, if "House of Cards" starts out great (which it did), is generally very good but worsens (which it did), and then wraps up as total **** (which it did), I cannot say either that I liked it or that it was good. There is no "A for effort" in this realm, there is only the complete product, imo.

For me, off the top, re Netflix Series:
I thought the The Crown was good.
Frankenstein Chronicles was good so far (but I do not if it is continuing or not).
HoC turned bad. Broadchurch and Bodyguard both fizzled out. Strangers Things didn't appeal to me at all. I have not seen Sense8 or Russian Doll; maybe I will try one of those next, or Victim Number 8.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno... Obviously I'd prefer shows I like not to fizzle out, but I'm still gonna be happy for the initial entertainment. It's not like network tv (or even movie series) did a better job. At least Netflix does full seasons at once so you don't get those situations where a show you like fails to find an audience and gets cancelled on episode 11 with zero satisfaction.

And something like broadchurch or other shows that have single season arcs? If it fizzles, you still have wrapped up stories for the good part.

If season 2 of American Vandal had sucked, I'd still recommend season 1 to people. Season 2 of True Detective (HBO) did suck, but apparently they have won people back with the 3rd and new watchers can just skip 2.

Is anyone doing it better than Netflix?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just asking opinions, folks.

Maybe it is just me.
I do not watch a lot or indiscriminately; go weeks without turning on; obviously (esp since I pay for it) hope that Netflix is far superior to network TV (that would seem to go without saying); have been disappointed for the most (more than 50%) part, including some of the shows listed in the last few posts.

For instance, if "House of Cards" starts out great (which it did), is generally very good but worsens (which it did), and then wraps up as total **** (which it did), I cannot say either that I liked it or that it was good. There is no "A for effort" in this realm, there is only the complete product, imo.

For me, off the top, re Netflix Series:
I thought the The Crown was good.
Frankenstein Chronicles was good so far (but I do not if it is continuing or not).
HoC turned bad. Broadchurch and Bodyguard both fizzled out. Strangers Things didn't appeal to me at all. I have not seen Sense8 or Russian Doll; maybe I will try one of those next, or Victim Number 8.

I think that you are overly picky and expecting too much from one network.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics