1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What to wear with sky blue pants?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, Aug 5, 2004.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

Hello,

I just got, in the mail, a lot of three pairs of Dolce & Gabbana pants. One of them is what I would call 'Ice Blue'...its a very light shade of sky blue. The pants are flat-front with a smooth look. Nice pants, with great details. Any advice on what to wear with these pants? I tried a white high-quality dress shirt with shorter shirt tails that looks nice untucked - it would be a good look for South Beach, but would look far out of place in Wisconsin. It seems like all the shirts I pair with these pants makes the outfit look very effeminate. How come guys can pull off a light blue shirt easily, but it's so hard with pants??? Please make a few suggestions.

Also, one of the other pairs of pants is a darker tan - very nice as well. The pants fit perfect through the leg and at the waist, but the bottom is quite tapered - to the point that it kind of wraps around my ankle and reminds me of jeans from the 80's. I would love to wear these pants, but prefer a little more coverage for my shoe. It wouldn't be so bad if I wore 6.5's or something, but I'm an 11.5 so these pants make my feet look monsterous. Any advice, once again?

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

how about a darker color shirt? like a loden green or a chocolate brown. maybe even black, like a merino polo or a sweater. (might not be comfortable in hot weather.)

if it's friday you could wear an orange aloha shirt. (but then you're back at south beach.)

no doubt about it, sky blue trousers seem pretty summery.

typically trousers are used as the 'base' of an ensemble, which is why greys and neutrals are the colors of choice. jeans are an exception.

/andrew

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

Thanks. I have this Versace dress shirt in a super thin, fine cotton that looks like linen and flows well. I was thinking that might be a good choice. Brown could work as well.

Orange would be absolutely nuts with these pants. I don't think my friends could ever let me live it down.

Yeah, these pants would be really nice for spring/summer. I just can't work up the cojones to wear them. We'll see. Maybe they'll get worn out for a wild night of partying, when the liquid courage comes into effect.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I'm pretty jealous that you found some nice bright-colored pants (I'm figuring you got them for an excellent price as you always seem to). I think a white shirt is a little too out there... I think the other considerations are good though. Maybe wear a pink shirt with it [​IMG]

5. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

Could you post pictures?

It would certainly make matters easier, as it is impossible to describe colour well.

6. faustian bargain

found a good outfit for you: [​IMG] [​IMG] or maybe: [​IMG] i know, i'm a very bad person... lol ****oh my god, i can't resist: [​IMG] ok for real now, i'll stop...

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

Brian, Yes - I am a man of great deals. Though, the fact that the tan pair fits incorrectly at the ankles, and the light blue pair may be too 'out there' leads to the fact that the goodness of the deal is declining by the minute. There's always ebay if I decide against keeping them. Kalra, A brilliant idea. [​IMG]

8. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

Faustian, you have a very sad sense of humour [​IMG] [​IMG] And, pale blue trousers looking good: [​IMG]

9. VMan

VMan Senior member

These are the two shirts I was considering. Unfortunately, I didn't set up any Tungsten lights for proper photography, so my little flash mangled the photos. Anyway, white Agnes B. Homme shirt with a pleat-front detail, and a really dark navy Versace (different than the black one I mentioned before). Awwww...how cute, Gianni and Agnes are holding hands. [​IMG]

10. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

A navy blue pique polo shirt that is nicely fitted. Short sleeve. A smashing summer look. Chestnut or brown sleek shoes, or canvas tennis shoes, or leather flip flops to complete the look.

I am in total agreement that a darker shirt is the way to go. It breaks convention, which is to normally have the pants be the darker item of clothing (with the exceptions duly noted), but mark my words it will look great. I have a pair of shorts in that shade and I pair them with green and navy, but I like navy the best.

11. VMan

VMan Senior member

Awesome, I'll try this soon.

For footwear, I'll wear brown slide-style sandals.

I've got a navy Lacoste (vintage) pique polo. I've also got a black mercinized cotton polo, and a deep blue RL polo.

12. TomW

TomW Senior member

By all means wear a dark shirt on top - the closer the fit the better. Very contemporary urban look.

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

Thanks, that GV shirt I included the picture of fits so nice - very slim, and is the perfect length when untucked. I'll try that as well.

14. faustian bargain

i was thinking last night, what kind of jacket you could wear with those. (aside from a matching blue jacket, which might be impossible to come by.)

i am still hung up on dark brown. i think a soft brown jacket, like cashmere, corduroy, suede, or (gasp) velvet, would probably look good, especially with a black shirt underneath. i might lean toward a pullover as opposed to your versace, but that's probably because i'm afraid of drapey untucked fabrics given the current shape of me.

/andrew

15. VMan

VMan Senior member

I was thinking last night too, and this is what I came up with:

In the area in which I live, fashion is not really...present. It's there, but there are very few people that I see and say "wow, he looks well put together". Given this fact, I think that the sky blue pants would attract more attention from certain guys, than girls. This is what I don't want. I think I might wear them once or twice, just to give them a fair chance, and most likely with a black polo or pullover, then I'll stick 'em up on ebay.

16. faustian bargain

oh well. 'when in rome', i guess.

(actually, rome is probably where you need to be, eh.)

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

How about a lime green slim YSL shirt from Hedi Slimane's era with white aviators, and a pair of burgundy socks with Sergio Rossi pointed loafers in a black patent leather.

18. VMan

VMan Senior member

Boy, you'd get shot wearing that in my 'hood.

(this would have more relevance if you watch 'Aqua Teen Hunger Force'...ok, so I substituted 'wearing' for 'listening to'...anyway, back to topic)

Well, maybe not shot, but at least you'd get some stares wearing that in the city I live. Unfortunately, most people here aren't as fashion-forward as NY or LA, so everything that is the least bit out of the ordinary would cause (negative) attention.

Even the other day when I wore a leaf green dress shirt untucked with light beige cotton/linen slacks, and a pair of brown leather sandals, I was getting quite a few stares at Target.

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

(LabelKing @ 06 Aug. 2004, 5:12) How about a lime green slim YSL shirt from Hedi Slimane's era with white aviators, and a pair of burgundy socks with Sergio Rossi pointed loafers in a black patent leather.
    Boy, you'd get shot wearing that in my 'hood. (this would have more relevance if you watch 'Aqua Teen Hunger Force'...ok, so I substituted 'wearing' for 'listening to'...anyway, back to topic) Well, maybe not shot, but at least you'd get some stares wearing that in the city I live. Â Unfortunately, most people here aren't as fashion-forward as NY or LA, so everything that is the least bit out of the ordinary would cause (negative) attention. Even the other day when I wore a leaf green dress shirt untucked with light beige cotton/linen slacks, and a pair of brown leather sandals, I was getting quite a few stares at Target.
    That sounds like a perfectly normal, if in my opinion somewhat conservative, ensemble. I bet over there Versace would be regarded as a blasphemy. Especially some of their silk shirts, etc. from the Donatella designed couture lines.

20. TomW

TomW Senior member

They were just trying to figure out which celebrity was in town, and why he's in their Target.