• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with sky blue pants?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just got, in the mail, a lot of three pairs of Dolce & Gabbana pants. One of them is what I would call 'Ice Blue'...its a very light shade of sky blue. The pants are flat-front with a smooth look. Nice pants, with great details. Any advice on what to wear with these pants? I tried a white high-quality dress shirt with shorter shirt tails that looks nice untucked - it would be a good look for South Beach, but would look far out of place in Wisconsin. It seems like all the shirts I pair with these pants makes the outfit look very effeminate. How come guys can pull off a light blue shirt easily, but it's so hard with pants??? Please make a few suggestions.

Also, one of the other pairs of pants is a darker tan - very nice as well. The pants fit perfect through the leg and at the waist, but the bottom is quite tapered - to the point that it kind of wraps around my ankle and reminds me of jeans from the 80's. I would love to wear these pants, but prefer a little more coverage for my shoe. It wouldn't be so bad if I wore 6.5's or something, but I'm an 11.5 so these pants make my feet look monsterous. Any advice, once again?

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about a darker color shirt? like a loden green or a chocolate brown. maybe even black, like a merino polo or a sweater. (might not be comfortable in hot weather.)

if it's friday you could wear an orange aloha shirt. (but then you're back at south beach.)

no doubt about it, sky blue trousers seem pretty summery.

typically trousers are used as the 'base' of an ensemble, which is why greys and neutrals are the colors of choice. jeans are an exception.

/andrew

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about a darker color shirt? like a loden green or a chocolate brown. maybe even black, like a merino polo or a sweater. (might not be comfortable in hot weather.)

if it's friday you could wear an orange aloha shirt. (but then you're back at south beach.)

no doubt about it, sky blue trousers seem pretty summery.

typically trousers are used as the 'base' of an ensemble, which is why greys and neutrals are the colors of choice. jeans are an exception.

/andrew
Thanks. I have this Versace dress shirt in a super thin, fine cotton that looks like linen and flows well. I was thinking that might be a good choice. Brown could work as well.

Orange would be absolutely nuts with these pants. I don't think my friends could ever let me live it down.

Yeah, these pants would be really nice for spring/summer. I just can't work up the cojones to wear them. We'll see. Maybe they'll get worn out for a wild night of partying, when the liquid courage comes into effect.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm pretty jealous that you found some nice bright-colored pants (I'm figuring you got them for an excellent price as you always seem to). I think a white shirt is a little too out there... I think the other considerations are good though. Maybe wear a pink shirt with it
wink.gif

kalra2411

Reaction score
Could you post pictures?

It would certainly make matters easier, as it is impossible to describe colour well.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
found a good outfit for you:
12411-baby-blue-top+12416-split-side-velvet-trousers+blue-pig.jpg
devil.gif
or maybe:
bluetuxbig2.jpg
i know, i'm a very bad person... lol ****oh my god, i can't resist:
LegionnairesGroup2.jpg
ok for real now, i'll stop...

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you post pictures? It would certainly make matters easier, as it is impossible to describe colour well.
Brian, Yes - I am a man of great deals. Though, the fact that the tan pair fits incorrectly at the ankles, and the light blue pair may be too 'out there' leads to the fact that the goodness of the deal is declining by the minute. There's always ebay if I decide against keeping them. Kalra, A brilliant idea.
dngpants.jpg

kalra2411

Reaction score
Faustian, you have a very sad sense of humour
wink.gif
confused.gif
And, pale blue trousers looking good:
gubl.jpg

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the two shirts I was considering. Unfortunately, I didn't set up any Tungsten lights for proper photography, so my little flash mangled the photos. Anyway, white Agnes B. Homme shirt with a pleat-front detail, and a really dark navy Versace (different than the black one I mentioned before). Awwww...how cute, Gianni and Agnes are holding hands.
shirts.jpg

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A navy blue pique polo shirt that is nicely fitted. Short sleeve. A smashing summer look. Chestnut or brown sleek shoes, or canvas tennis shoes, or leather flip flops to complete the look.

I am in total agreement that a darker shirt is the way to go. It breaks convention, which is to normally have the pants be the darker item of clothing (with the exceptions duly noted), but mark my words it will look great. I have a pair of shorts in that shade and I pair them with green and navy, but I like navy the best.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A navy blue pique polo shirt that is nicely fitted.  Short sleeve.  A smashing summer look.  Chestnut or brown sleek shoes, or canvas tennis shoes, or leather flip flops to complete the look.

I am in total agreement that a darker shirt is the way to go.  It breaks convention, which is to normally have the pants be the darker item of clothing (with the exceptions duly noted), but mark my words it will look great.  I have a pair of shorts in that shade and I pair them with green and navy, but I like navy the best.
Awesome, I'll try this soon.

For footwear, I'll wear brown slide-style sandals.

I've got a navy Lacoste (vintage) pique polo. I've also got a black mercinized cotton polo, and a deep blue RL polo.

TomW

Reaction score
By all means wear a dark shirt on top - the closer the fit the better. Very contemporary urban look.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By all means wear a dark shirt on top - the closer the fit the better. Very contemporary urban look.
Thanks, that GV shirt I included the picture of fits so nice - very slim, and is the perfect length when untucked. I'll try that as well.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was thinking last night, what kind of jacket you could wear with those. (aside from a matching blue jacket, which might be impossible to come by.)

i am still hung up on dark brown. i think a soft brown jacket, like cashmere, corduroy, suede, or (gasp) velvet, would probably look good, especially with a black shirt underneath. i might lean toward a pullover as opposed to your versace, but that's probably because i'm afraid of drapey untucked fabrics given the current shape of me.

/andrew

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was thinking last night, what kind of jacket you could wear with those. (aside from a matching blue jacket, which might be impossible to come by.)

i am still hung up on dark brown. i think a soft brown jacket, like cashmere, corduroy, suede, or (gasp) velvet, would probably look good, especially with a black shirt underneath. i might lean toward a pullover as opposed to your versace, but that's probably because i'm afraid of drapey untucked fabrics given the current shape of me.

/andrew
I was thinking last night too, and this is what I came up with:

In the area in which I live, fashion is not really...present. It's there, but there are very few people that I see and say "wow, he looks well put together". Given this fact, I think that the sky blue pants would attract more attention from certain guys, than girls. This is what I don't want. I think I might wear them once or twice, just to give them a fair chance, and most likely with a black polo or pullover, then I'll stick 'em up on ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads