• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to the ballet?

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I am going to the ballet at the Paris Opera when I am there next month.

I have never been to the ballet but am taking the chance to sit in that great historic building.

What am I to wear?

Hopefully not black tie.

Last edited:

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
You wouldn't go wrong with black tie, but barring that a navy suit, grenadine tie would do. I'd consider black oxfords in that situation - either captoes or wholecuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Thanks RD.

I wasn't planning to drag black tie over there so I guess navy suit it would have to be.

So smart casual is out?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to the ballet at the Paris Opera when I am there next month.

I have never been to the ballet but am taking the chance to sit in that great historic building.

What am I to wear?

Hopefully not black tie.

If you're attending a performance at Opera Bastille, I'd say wear whatever you want. But if you're going to the opera, Palais Garnier, well have you been in that building? It's like a baroque explosion went off in there. It's one of the most remarkable buildings, certainly most remarkable interiors, in the world. If ever a place demanded at least black tie, it would be Palais Garnier. It doesn't matter what anyone else wears, if you own a black tie rig, you owe it to yourself to wear it.

Astaroth

Reaction score
A quick google and you will see pictures like:

The place should really be formal wear and a tux should be roughing it but in practice you'll see many in trousers and shirt sans tie or jacket etc

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
If you're attending a performance at Opera Bastille, I'd say wear whatever you want. But if you're going to the opera, Palais Garnier, well have you been in that building? It's like a baroque explosion went off in there. It's one of the most remarkable buildings, certainly most remarkable interiors, in the world. If ever a place demanded at least black tie, it would be Palais Garnier. It doesn't matter what anyone else wears, if you own a black tie rig, you owe it to yourself to wear it.

I tend to agree with Andy57, for two reasons.

1) Black tie isn't just about being dressed well, it's about a sense of place and occasion (well, and time - we're assuming this is an evening performance). In Paris, even wearing it to dinner out at a good restaurant likely wouldn't turn many heads, especially on a weekend.

2) I may be misinterpreting your response above, but it comes across as you'll be packing the navy suit instead of the BT rig for the trip. If it's a choice of one or the other and no other reason (e.g. not a business trip where the suit is required anyway), then it's a moot point, and I would go black tie. Even still, it doesn't take up that much space to bring it anyway.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in the Palais Garnier last summer for the POB's La fille mal gardee. Many men wear no coats. It is not really that dressy. I may have worn a coat but it was during the 105 degree heatwave and Paris has no AC. Unless it is a gala, I see no reason to wear more than a coat and tie.

The Chagall ceiling

Last edited:

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Just make sure you match colors to Chagall's ceiling (joke :) )

There are people in black tie there, and yes it is appropriate, but also full of tourists in jeans.

Which ballet?

This one:

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/season-15-16/ballet/jerome-bel-jerome-robbins

I was excited to see that the costumes for part of it were designed by Sartori (of Berluti).

I am a real ballet virgin. Never had an interest to go. But I am also a history and culture buff and thought I would grab the opportunity to go there. This could turn me on to ballet.

Last edited:

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I tend to agree with Andy57, for two reasons.

1) Black tie isn't just about being dressed well, it's about a sense of place and occasion (well, and time - we're assuming this is an evening performance). In Paris, even wearing it to dinner out at a good restaurant likely wouldn't turn many heads, especially on a weekend.

2) I may be misinterpreting your response above, but it comes across as you'll be packing the navy suit instead of the BT rig for the trip. If it's a choice of one or the other and no other reason (e.g. not a business trip where the suit is required anyway), then it's a moot point, and I would go black tie. Even still, it doesn't take up that much space to bring it anyway.

Believe it or not I don't even own a Black Tie outfit.

It's a combination of being in the process of losing a lot of weight and attending about one Black Tie function every five years.

I anticipate buying a Tom Ford outfit at some stage but wanted to finish the weight loss first.

PS. I wasn't even planning to take a navy suit. But now I will.

Last edited:

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
Believe it or not I don't even own a Black Tie outfit.

It's a combination of being in the process of losing a lot of weight and attending about one Black Tie function every five years.

I anticipate buying a Tom Ford outfit at some stage but wanted to finish the weight loss first.

PS. I wasn't even planning to take a navy suit. But now I will.

Well, then that makes it easy. I think it was assumed that you did own one, but given the modern day mix of dress at events like this, you won't be out of place in the suit. From what you've added here, I wouldn't get a dinner suit just for this.

FWIW, I only just bought one myself, using the excuse of a surprise 40th birthday trip to NYC for my wife, and having tickets to opening night of Madama Butterfly when we get there. I don't have a lot of reasons to wear it, but I can anticipate 3-4 in the next couple of years, so why not have something proper? I went with a Samuelsohn OTR, as the price and style was right, and the fit was reasonable for OTR.

Congratulations on the weight loss, and don't sweat the outfit now - just look forward to the trip!

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one:

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/season-15-16/ballet/jerome-bel-jerome-robbins

I was excited to see that the costumes for part of it were designed by Sartori (of Berluti).

I am a real ballet virgin. Never had an interest to go. But I am also a history and culture buff and thought I would grab the opportunity to go there. This could turn me on to ballet.
Well, the first ballet I ever attended was in Garnier. I was married for year or so, my wife had a business trip to Paris, and I tagged along. She managed to get tickets for "Parsifal - Episodes et écho" by John Neumeier - this was a true spectacle by Hambourg Ballet. I then realized one thing, people with good old classical education can easily enjoy ballet, and pick all the clues and references given out by music, movement, scene and costume. It was fascinating that I was able to understand the "story" with only vaguely knowing who Parsifal was.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads