• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to the ballet?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one:

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/season-15-16/ballet/jerome-bel-jerome-robbins

I was excited to see that the costumes for part of it were designed by Sartori (of Berluti).

I am a real ballet virgin. Never had an interest to go. But I am also a history and culture buff and thought I would grab the opportunity to go there. This could turn me on to ballet.

Ballet, modern or classical, is among the more sublime forms of artistic expression and experience. I sincerely hope you enjoy it. I can't imagine a place that would give you a better first time experience.

Believe it or not I don't even own a Black Tie outfit.

That does, indeed, make it easy. You should wear whatever makes you most comfortable.

Unless it is a special gala, you will look like a toursit with a black tie, just like the people wearing jeans you will meet there.

That seems unlikely, but I'l take your word for it. But so what?

Well, the first ballet I ever attended was in Garnier. I was married for year or so, my wife had a business trip to Paris, and I tagged along. She managed to get tickets for "Parsifal - Episodes et écho" by John Neumeier - this was a true spectacle by Hambourg Ballet. I then realized one thing, people with good old classical education can easily enjoy ballet, and pick all the clues and references given out by music, movement, scene and costume. It was fascinating that I was able to understand the "story" with only vaguely knowing who Parsifal was.

I don't think it's entirely necessary to have a certain type of education in order to enjoy ballet, or any form of dance, really. It can be enough to appreciate the artistry and skill of the dancers.

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
I don't think it's entirely necessary to have a certain type of education in order to enjoy ballet, or any form of dance, really. It can be enough to appreciate the artistry and skill of the dancers.
I'd like to quote pretty woman's Edward Lewis here: 'People's reactions to opera the first time they see it is very dramatic; they either love it or they hate it. If they love it, they will always love it. If they don't, they may learn to appreciate it, but it will never become part of their soul.'

Pretty much agree with what the others say and the packing of a navy suit. Are you going on an evening or a Matinee?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to quote pretty woman's Edward Lewis here: 'People's reactions to opera the first time they see it is very dramatic; they either love it or they hate it. If they love it, they will always love it. If they don't, they may learn to appreciate it, but it will never become part of their soul.'

Pretty much agree with what the others say and the packing of a navy suit. Are you going on an evening or a Matinee?

But the OP is attending a ballet. Different animal entirely.
smile.gif

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
But the OP is attending a ballet. Different animal entirely.
smile.gif
Interesting, would love to hear your thoughts on this. I've been to a few performances of both in Sydney and feel that at its essence they're both the narrative of a story using different types of artistic mediums.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, would love to hear your thoughts on this. I've been to a few performances of both in Sydney and feel that at its essence they're both the narrative of a story using different types of artistic mediums.

I think you're right.

It comes down to personal preference, I suppose. Or that which I appreciate more. I've always appreciated dance, especially classical and modern ballet. The movement in space, the grace, the artistry, all appeal to me. Opera, on the other hand, is not an art form that I get all that excited about. It's a different medium. To me, opera is primarily aural and I don't find the particular forms or styles of operatic singing to be all that accessible.

Dance I get, opera not so much.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But the OP is attending a ballet. Different animal entirely. :)

Nor entirely. They both have same origin - ancient Greek drama, reincarnated in renesaince Italy.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want to shift your mindset a bit. There are plenty of people in jeans there. Same as the Met. You want to dress for the occasion and remember that it is, in fact, an occasion. I have worn a suit there and worn an odd jacket and been fine. Plenty were in tuxedos and plenty were in jeans. Dress to your level of reverence for the artistic medium.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score

I'd like to quote pretty woman's Edward Lewis here: '[COLOR=333333]People's reactions to opera the first time they see it is very dramatic; they either love it or they hate it. If they love it, they will always love it. If they don't, they may learn to appreciate it, but it will never become part of their soul.'[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Pretty much agree with what the others say and the packing of a navy suit. Are you going on an evening or a Matinee?[/COLOR]

In the evening.

I will take the blue suit.

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
Interesting link Veremund. Thanks for posting.

Based on what is in those photos, my traditional 1BPL black tie rig will be out of place only in the sense that it won't be fashion-forward enough for a night there, and my chances of getting photographed are slim to none. Fine by me :)

I'm not worried about looking like a tourist in BT when we go.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics