• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do w/ 1950s/60s Leica M3 camera?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father bought one of these rangefinders in the late 1950s or early 1960s (I even have the receipt and manual), taking pictures with it regularly into @ the 1980s. It's been used rarely since then, and for the last few years it's been admired but not used. It's a neat camera and it still takes good pictures, but it's just not very versatile compared to the digital cameras out there (for what I take pics of anyway-- mostly my kids). Has anyone sold something like this on EBay? Or is there a better marketplace for it -- a website for vintage camera geeks perhaps? I fear that, if I keep the camera, in 20 years it will be a dinosaur that has decreased in value, as film for it will be difficult to purchase.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
My father bought one of these rangefinders in the late 1950s or early 1960s (I even have the receipt and manual), taking pictures with it regularly into @ the 1980s. It's been used rarely since then, and for the last few years it's been admired but not used. It's a neat camera and it still takes good pictures, but it's just not very versatile compared to the digital cameras out there (for what I take pics of anyway-- mostly my kids). Has anyone sold something like this on EBay? Or is there a better marketplace for it -- a website for vintage camera geeks perhaps? I fear that, if I keep the camera, in 20 years it will be a dinosaur that has decreased in value, as film for it will be difficult to purchase.

I'm in the process now of clearing out my collection of the 35mm German rangefinders like Leicas that were quite the thing in the 80s and 90s. I think they were overvalued given their production runs and are certain to drop in value once the nostalgia-driven buyers (men who are now in their 70s and above) are gone. I plan to keep only my favorite (an M2) and a cadre of lenses (maybe for use on a digital Leica in the future).

A few years back I cleared out a great many movie cameras on eBay and found that I averaged above book value. Leicas, in particular, do well. Years ago I would sell to buyers in Europe and Japan, but these days I think that eBay is as good as anything.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please sell them to me. Seriously, if the price is right, I am interested.

If anyone else has any vintage German or Swiss cameras, I am interested. Not limited to Leica but also Rolleiflex, Zeiss Contax, Alpa as well as the screw-mount Leicas.

aarghh

Reaction score
Not to start a bidding war with Labelking or something, but I would love to have them as well. Kabert, keh.com will give you a fair price should you choose not to go the ebay route.

Without any attempt at rationalization, I have found that I do my best work with an M3 and film such as efke 100.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aarghh
Not to start a bidding war with Labelking or something, but I would love to have them as well. Kabert, keh.com will give you a fair price should you choose not to go the ebay route. Without any attempt at rationalization, I have found that I do my best work with an M3 and film such as efke 100.
Interestingly enough, I also use Efke but at 50. Efke 50 is a facsimile of the old Adox forumlation, which was fantastic for tonal range, and low grain. It's especially fine when developed with a Beutler forumla, now called Neofin Blue. As for Leica glass, it must be the Bokeh.
wink.gif

aarghh

Reaction score
Since I've run out of Scala, I've been considering using the services of dr5.com to make transparencies with efke100. I haven't used 50, but I like the adox formulation on 25 as well. Interestingly efke is back to being marketed under the adox name.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
keh.com is a fair buyer but offer considerably less than you can get through a private party sale, either here or on photo.net.

Are you also looking to unload the lenses?

summej2

Reaction score
Wow, I hadn't expected since a response here. I'm still working up a full list since they are stored in another location, but if you PM me I'll send a list when I finally get things written up. In terms of 35mm, I'm looking to move screw-mount Leicas, Voigtlanders, Kodak Retinas, plus some of the early Japanese Nikons and Canons, and some Rollei 35s---among others. I'd be looking for condition-adjusted McKeown book values.

It's a big collection that was my hobby through college, but I'm planning now to keep just the really historic (before 1910) items and the pieces I really like.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Are Retinas worth anything? As a kid I had one that had a retractable lens and was wrapped in leather. I've seen them at thrift shops.

summej2

Reaction score
Maybe, some are <$50, others are >$500; there were many, many models of varying quality and rarity---not to mention collector cache.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads