• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Submariner is your favorite ?

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manouche...have you posted a picture of yours yet? Until you do, in my opinion you are spouting off about owning a mid-level Rolex. If you said you had a Platinum President then you might have something to brag about.

manouche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
Manouche...have you posted a picture of yours yet? Until you do, in my opion you are spouting off about owning a mid-level Rolex. If you said you had a Platinum President then you might have something to brag about.

I have a Rolex for poor = I don't even have the date

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by manouche
I have a Rolex for poor = I don't even have the date

Don't know where you get this from my post. IMO the Sub is a nice watch (I know a couple people who have one) but they aren't all that exclusive to warrent muliple threads about owning one. I saw one at a pawn shop last week for $5,500 and they said they could knock more off that.

FWIW, here is a picture of my Rolex that I bought new and had for 11 years:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...1/DSC00132.jpg

Nice simple S/S Oyster Perpetual Datejust, so lets see yours?

Dolle Dolf

Reaction score
A bit shall we say, obvious and ostentative. Like a lamborghini sports car. Pamela Anderson. Expensive but not restrained or particularly tasteful. One of those 'if you have to ask' kind of things. As snobbish and unpleasant as that may sound, but that is, at least to a significant degree, part of it. Personally I do not find them particularly pleasing from an aesthetic point of view. And as I have no inclination to go any deeper into the ocean than approximately waist hight sometime next summer, the purchase of a contraption like the watch pictured holds no attraction to me at all. Not that the various owners here should not enjoy them of course. Different strokes etc.

What is particulary nice in this watch ?
Pretty. Classy. Like an Aston Martin. Lauren Bacall. Well made. Simple. Austere. What is not to like?

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
none, i hate the look. and i guess i was just born with sensitive skin, because i cannot keep a wrist-watch on for the life of me! it makes the area of my skin really itchy, that steel pressing against my skin, i just need to take it off. and i think a really good watch just draws too much attention away from the rest of your outfit

mert54

Reaction score
I have the black face (jim crow as I call it) with a silver band one and it is great. I'm not really a gold guy, so everything matches with it.

spoiledone

Reaction score
This
3ce7_1.jpg

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real men don't need watches.

Murray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dolle Dolf
A bit shall we say, obvious and ostentative. Like a lamborghini sports car. Pamela Anderson. Expensive but not restrained or particularly tasteful. One of those 'if you have to ask' kind of things. As snobbish and unpleasant as that may sound, but that is, at least to a significant degree, part of it. Personally I do not find them particularly pleasing from an aesthetic point of view. And as I have no inclination to go any deeper into the ocean than approximately waist hight sometime next summer, the purchase of a contraption like the watch pictured holds no attraction to me at all. Not that the various owners here should not enjoy them of course. Different strokes etc.

Pretty. Classy. Like an Aston Martin. Lauren Bacall. Well made. Simple. Austere. What is not to like?

This takes the cake. Obvious and ostentative? Have a look at the WAYWT thread. You don't really mean to suggest that a bloke wearing a SS Rolex is any different to a person wearing a cravat or a $40.00 pair of socks do you? Lets have a read of the WAYWT thread again shall we? Many of the posts are a blow by blow account of what is being worn (nothing wrong with that BTW) with an emphasis on brand names. We all like things which show or prove our worth and although I never dive to 3000 feet with a Rolex, I also never need to use the true potential of the classy car like an Aston Martin either.

OCULUS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spoiledone
This
3ce7_1.jpg

I'll vote for the two-tone with blue dial and bezel too. Just remember that it is a SPORT watch/tool. I had a GMT in bronze that I liked because it was unique, but have left all of them behind for IWC (GST and a ton of vintage models that I collected for a while).

Astan

Reaction score
i'm not that big of a fan of rolex. i'm more of a iwc/stowa aviator type of watch guy. but i can appreciate a kermit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads