• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Commenced watching this... seems promising so far. Going Places (aka the Bollocks in literal translation avec Miou Miou tou

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched these on Criterion over the weekend. I’ve seen a number of Kurosawa’s samurai epics but am working through some of his more modern movies.

A71D5BB9-8415-4581-8217-C11FC4987ED6.jpeg

This is very much top tier Kurosawa. Went into this just knowing to pay attention to the blocking and it is amazing how cleverly this movie is put together. Expected it to be great and was still blown away. Basically four movies in one, all of them feel archetypal to many of my favorite movies yet still remarkably modern.

17DFF27C-1EAB-4B5F-B105-1AD3D1D0D06E.jpeg

Very tonally different. Didn’t enjoy this as much as High and Low but found it be be quite moving. The past year has made me think a lot about my white collar job and this hit all those same notes quite hard.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Poster-NewsOfTheWorld.jpg

Any one interested in catching this when it's released for streaming this Friday? I read and enjoyed the book when it came it out a few years back and was pleasantly surprised to learn it was adapted to a film.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
714KCVV8AKL._AC_.gif

Set in Chicago/mid 60's....this brilliant tale follows 4 high school seniors as they navigate the usual paths attempting to make it to the next step in their lives.

The 2 main characters are the poet/slacker and the basketball star. One wants to make it to Hollywood and the other wants to attain a college scholarship.

Along the way, the 4 friends attend house parties, drink/get high, hang around the neighborhood, and of course, hit on girls.

Now, what Chicago 'hood would not be real without the gangs, bad dudes and bad decisions. The friends will encounter each element during this tale which became the precursor to many that followed: Boyz n the Hood, Menace II Society, etc.

It's a fun and also sad look at what life was like on the north side of Chicago for 4 friends just trying to live life.

The soundtrack is top notch!

4.25/5.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a couple years old now, but The Death of Stalin is on Netflix in the US and hilarious. Highly recommended if you haven’t seen it.

The Dead Don’t Die - one of the slowest movies I’ve ever seen. Waste of a fantastic cast. There’s a difference between quirky and slow and just horribly long with nothing happening.

Reaction score
Watched these on Criterion over the weekend. I’ve seen a number of Kurosawa’s samurai epics but am working through some of his more modern movies.

View attachment 1533865

This is very much top tier Kurosawa. Went into this just knowing to pay attention to the blocking and it is amazing how cleverly this movie is put together. Expected it to be great and was still blown away. Basically four movies in one, all of them feel archetypal to many of my favorite movies yet still remarkably modern.

View attachment 1533868
Very tonally different. Didn’t enjoy this as much as High and Low but found it be be quite moving. The past year has made me think a lot about my white collar job and this hit all those same notes quite hard.
I prefer Kurosawa's samurai films. Yojimbo is my favorite Kurosawa film. Have you seen The Bad Sleep Well?

SPOILER WARNING:

I was not a fan of who the culprit ended up being in High and Low. Nevertheless, I gave the film an 8/10 on IMDB. An 8/10 means I would rewatch it. How did you rate it on IMDB?

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Letterboxd and gave high and low 5/5. I found the last 45 minutes to be among the most interesting and powerful. From the dancehall scene to the ending I was all in. I think besides Gondo the movie is driven by class more than character, so while I can understand being disappointed in the identity of the character it’s very much in line with the through line of class relations over the course of the movie.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you seen Aguirre, the Wrath of God or the documentary about the relationship between Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski?

Yeah I have the movies are similar though they touch on a diffrent themes. Aguirre is one of my favourite movies. Having read The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad I can't help to think it was a heavy influence on the movie. Being an avid movie watcher, especially when it comes to older cinema once in a while there comes a movie that is still novel, different and well that's what both of those movies are.

I've heard the relatioship was pretty toxic including death threats etc. When you watch both of those movies btw, you got the feeling that Kinski like his characters is not eintirely sane himself. Can't imagine those movies with another actor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics