• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

#51 JUMPIN’ JACK FLASH (1986)

Straight off her first Academy Award nom for the embarrassment The Color Purple, Whoopi Goldberg decided to team up with first time director Penny Marshall to create a proper 80s film. The result is an uneven, but pretty fun and harmless thriller stuffed with That Guys. There’s her coworker, That Guy From Seventh Heaven Who Was Me Too’d, the dude who’s chasing her, John Belushi’s brother, Falken from War Games, some Saturday Night Live Alums — even the chick from Ghostbusters. Whoopi plays a bank employee who does computers. (Computers being relatively new, that’s about the extent of it). She’s contacted by someone claiming to work for British intelligence, apparently in danger. Hijinks ensue! The outcome is about as certain as the fact you’ll hear the title song in a montage, but it’s all pretty agreeable. There could have been more 80s fashion. Overall, not bad.

Early Me: 6
Current Me: 6

Last edited:

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
936B181B-4535-43ED-A166-55948F7E06CD.jpeg

Great plane movie, ultimately a tender comedy with a great soundtrack and really really good casting for the young actors.

4/5

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1324076

Great plane movie, ultimately a tender comedy with a great soundtrack and really really good casting for the young actors.

4/5

Also thought this a lot of fun, going for a female version of Superbad and doing a good job. Sadly I think it did poorly commercially despite being a lot better than most of the competition.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched “Joker” last night.

Some of the themes were a bit heavy handed and muddled but overall I enjoyed it. Great performance by Phoenix (and I dont consider myself a super fan) and some beautiful cinematography and score.

More of a character study than a full plot but still very well done, IMO.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Producers 1967

Full of absurd and black humor, amazing movie one of the best I've seen. Sure it's way over the top but sort of the point, I had tons of fun.

amazing hahaha

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The goose step's
the new step
in Germany

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MV5BMTlkMmVmYjktYTc2NC00ZGZjLWEyOWUtMjc2MDMwMjQwOTA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI4MzE4MDU@._V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

An early contender for #menswear film of the year.

Took a while to get going, but once it did, I enjoyed it. Worth it just for lowbrow Hugh Grant with janky teeth. Probably best not to overthink the plot, though.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The book was excellent but so, so incredibly dark and depressing.

I'd love to watch the movie as it looks fantastic but I'm sure that it's also very dark and depressing.
I've never hidden my Catholicism on here and I read the book a couple years ago in Japan. An interesting coincidence: on the last day of the convention I walked out a different door and saw an interesting-looking church and popped in. It turns out it was on the site of one of the massacres referenced in the book, and my visit was before catching a train to the Tokyo Museum where the famous fumies are located.

Anyway yeah, the book was a slog and I'm semi-interested in seeing the movie because I know it will be well-portrayed but I want a bit more escapism.

Watched "Amadeus" for IIRC the third or fourth time. Such a great film......right?

AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bad-boys-for-life-poster.jpg

Now this is what I'm talmbout. Guns, explosions, car chases, helicopter crashes, traditional morals. But I feel like they should have saved this title for the next sequel. (BAD BOYS 4 LIFE... Come on! Somebody didn't plan ahead!)
DUDE I AM ACTUALLY IN THIS MOVIE

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1323285

#26 SPACE CAMP (1986)

Behold: the theatrical release that got away! Remember when movies were advertised in newspapers? (Remember newspapers?). Fridays, these ads would balloon from a mere square inch to a quarter page, a half page, a FULL PAGE AD FOR SPACE CAMP, THE MOVIE I HAD TO SEE!!!1

And who wouldn’t covet this tasty offering? Just look. It’s got a real spaceship, the hot incestuous mom from Back to the Future, that gay guy from Revenge of the Nerds, Jennifer Aniston’s boyfriend, Hot Indiana Jones woman, the naked girl from Misfits and John Travolta’s beard, Kelly Preston, and some uknown kid named Joaquin Phoenix.

View attachment 1323290

These hot people are gathered at Space Camp, a program for — wait, high schoolers? Hm... — to experience, virtually, the magic of space. Through some crazy mishap, they are actually, virtually, launched into space — with only their wits and Tom Skerrit to get them back down.

It’s really not a bad family-ish movie, competently filmed, and the cast and period heighten the enjoyment.

Early Me: (Why can’t I see this!)
Current Me: 7
A colored and half the cast is ladies? PC casting gone amok. Films these days just aren't made like they were 30 years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads