• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Water table issue?

81goeLldM8L._RI_.jpg

I caught this last night. Ending was "...!"

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I saw Lone Star in the theater years ago. My memory of it is very non-specific, but I recall enjoying it.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Water table issue?

81goeLldM8L._RI_.jpg

I caught this last night. Ending was "...!"

I remember renting this back in the day all excited thinking it was a movie version of the James McLure one act play. What a bummer it turned out to be.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Lonestar years ago in the theater with no knowledge of what it was about going into it. I really enjoyed it; damn good cast, too. I should probably rewatch it one of these days.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, it seemed like it was good but I was expecting a redneck comedy hour thinking it was based off the play of the same name.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you liked Panos Cosmatos' first film Beyond the Black Rainbow, you might enjoy this one too:

1580852823564.png

They are both awesome and delightfully unique, with great use of synth soundtracks.

On one hand Cosmatos junior should make more movies, on the other, I'm not sure the world is ready for more than one of these every six years or so.

1580852979859.png

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy balls, what is this? :laugh:

New movies?

EDIT: new movie. I forget I have Google. This looks really cool.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you liked Panos Cosmatos' first film Beyond the Black Rainbow, you might enjoy this one too:

View attachment 1331203

They are both awesome and delightfully unique, with great use of synth soundtracks.

On one hand Cosmatos junior should make more movies, on the other, I'm not sure the world is ready for more than one of these every six years or so.

You should see Color out of space.

unnamed.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Really looking forward to that. I’m a huge Lovecraft fan and that’s one of my favorite stories.

not sure how I feel about Nicholas Cage being in it, though: “Mandy” was a mess, and it’s some of his best work in years.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really looking forward to that. I’m a huge Lovecraft fan and that’s one of my favorite stories.

not sure how I feel about Nicholas Cage being in it, though: “Mandy” was a mess, and it’s some of his best work in years.
Indeed.
It has been a long time since I can recall a Cage performance being even just decent, let alone actually compelling and interesting.

Maybe in this genre, I don't know...but he has delivered such complete crap consistently for well over a decade that it is difficult to feel enthused at all about anything with his name on it now.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MV5BZjUyYzQ2YTEtYmM5OC00ZDA3LWE2YTEtZGU1Yjg3MWQ0YzczL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5Mz...jpg

This was supposed to be a flop by Billy Wilder, but I haven't watched a Billy Wilder movie I didn't like yet. It's no Double Indemnity or Ace in the Hole which are to me absolute masterpieces, but it's a funny and cynnical sex comedy. On the one hand its full of 50s morals, on the other it sort of ridicules them. Weird but good flick from Billy Wilder(watching Kim Novak and Felicia Farr in sexy clothes doesn't hurt either).

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1580956525788.jpeg

#93 SILVERADO (1985)

Kevin Kline
Danny Glover
Scott Glenn
BRIAN DENNEHY!
Jeff Goldblum
Rosanna Arquette
John Cleese?!
That guy from Major League (“Give him the heater...”)
Lynne Whitfield
Jeff Fahey
The little woman from Dune
That big guy from Blade Runner (“What’s a tortoise?”)
The girlfriend from Better Off Dead
The dad from Six Feet Under
The guy who played Jason Vorhees

...and some likable unknown named Kevin Costner star in: Silverado.

And if that ain’t enough to make you want to see it, well, pardner, then I reckon’ you’ve got a hole in your soul — a Silverado-sized hole.

Let film critics debate The Searchers. This is hands down the *best* western ever made. Everyone is at their peak. Peak Glover. Peak Dennehy. Hell, it’s peak Costner, and I think this was his first proper movie role. The plot is pretty simple: some amiable good guys (Kline, Costner) and some earnest good guys (Glenn, Glover) run afoul of a local gang backed by a corrupt sheriff (Dennehy). There’s gun slinging, horse thieving, saloon diving, women slapping, gun butting, a sinister Jeff Goldblum, and something like an eight way bromance to wind its way into your heart.

If you can’t see this when you are eight, see it now.

Early me: 10
Current Me: 10

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I didn't realise that Kevin Kline and John Cleese starred in more than one movie together ("A Fish Called Wanda" - they were fantastic in that film). In fact, I don't remember Cleese being in Silverado at all but, then again, it did come out quite a while ago. I'll have to see if I can watch it again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads